vegetarian finings?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on vegetarian finings? Can you use agar jelly to clean beer?

Time.
Cold.
Gravity.

Good enough for the most hardcore, militant vegan.

I'm not sure how well bentonite works in beer (or indeed how it works) but it might be worth researching. Don't know about agar - does it bond chemically with yeast particles and/or haze creating proteins?

Yob - Irish moss works on break material in the kettle but not yeast particles post fermentation as far as I know. Not sure if brewbrite does - I think it's proteins both in the kettle and post ferment but I could be wrong. That's got no animal products in it I believe (check rather than take my word) - PVPP and irish moss together.

What about silicon dioxide the williams warn uses this and it's vegan friendly give them a shout might be the easiest option,

I've popped agar into one or two of my brews during the boil - simply assuming a) it seems very similar to Irish Moss (both made from seaweed) and b) it should do *some* good. It might be better to add after the boil anyway - the vigorous, prolonged hot temperatures might make it less effective in settling out trub, and a small pinch in the brew should clear up some of the finings. I don't think agar would interfere with yeast growth - doesn't seem to have in mine, (though of course how can you tell for sure?) I do wonder if agar, like Irish Moss, might provide some nutrient for yeast. I do know it's used in laboratories for culturing microbes.

Old method to clear up brews, chuck an egg white into the boil; it will congeal and float around the top gathering scum. Apparently egg white also tends to soak up bitterness so you'll want to add hops for bittering *after* the white has been removed.

Just took a quick squizz at the pectin link. Cool!

Two different types of finings being conflated. Kettle finings work on proteins formed during the boil. Gelatine works on yeast. Isinglass works on proteins and yeast post fermentation. Is the op trying to replace gelatin or isinglass?

Back