Vegetable Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cock Ale...
havnt tried and not vege but definately out there near where your looking?

cock being a large rooster, + 45 litres of ale?
got this in an old homebrew book !
they say pluck n gut the fowl and mash it to a pulp and bag it and add to the ale (in fermenter) just befor or as fermentation begins!
And so it goes quite a nice and strong flavoured beverage is to be had :icon_cheers:
Then they go on to mention an old west country practice (uk) of putting a joint of meat into a barrel of cider -where it disapeared- in order to produce a really srtong brew :icon_vomit:
they say it increases the protein content of the brew ? well der! (home brewed beer & stouts by c.j.j.berry)
as i say , only trust the date and the weather in printed text, and they usually get that wrong <_<
if in doubt skoll it all :icon_drunk:

Cock Ale...
havnt tried and not vege but definately out there near where your looking?

cock being a large rooster, + 45 litres of ale?
got this in an old homebrew book !
they say pluck n gut the fowl and mash it to a pulp and bag it and add to the ale (in fermenter) just befor or as fermentation begins!
And so it goes quite a nice and strong flavoured beverage is to be had :icon_cheers:
Then they go on to mention an old west country practice (uk) of putting a joint of meat into a barrel of cider -where it disapeared- in order to produce a really srtong brew :icon_vomit:
they say it increases the protein content of the brew ? well der! (home brewed beer & stouts by c.j.j.berry)
as i say , only trust the date and the weather in printed text, and they usually get that wrong <_<
if in doubt skoll it all :icon_drunk:

O M G! Haha! A bloke from my work was telling me about this yesterday afternoon, and i scoffed at him! lol unreal, i guess he wasnt pulling my leg after all.
He told me the way they did it back in the day was to just dump the plucked and gutted cock in the brew and it kind of disapeared lol. the old bugger must of been onto something!
Dont really want to try it tho!

last time i checked a cock or chichen isnt a vegitable. so moving on.

last time i checked a cock or chichen isnt a vegitable. so moving on.

um how about pandanis palm brew? probly a fruit/wine but quite strong and a mean kick to it!
just get a few cones/pods and let them ferment themselves in a black (x3) garbage bag ... :icon_drool2:
filter chill n enjoy :icon_cheers:
not sure if there are any through n through vege beer like brews that dont include the tried n tested usuals? (barley,wheat,corn,rice)
maybe a nice baked bean concoction is on the cards?
surely pumkin is some kinda fruit? (from mars tee hee )

I soon as I saw this title I thought of Bandito.

There was a podcast on the brewing network that talked about cloning a pumpkin beer.

one recipie ive been told by one of my Italian uncles, while not a beer still apparently blows ya head off.

you get the biggest hard skinned pumkin you can find then cut a hole around the stem to scoop the seeds out and hollow out about a 1/4 of the fresh.

then pack the cavity with brown sugar as hard as you can, then wrap it in about 10 layers of glad wrap.

hang it from the roof in a warm shed for i think a month then stab the bottom with a screw driver to drain into a bucket...

I soon as I saw this title I thought of Bandito.

LOL Cos Banditos that crazy wannabe brewer that does everything backwards - I'm not crazy! wait a minute, I've been up for 35 hours without sleep, I AM CRAZY!! Ha Ha ha (evil laugh). Now off to my evil brewery to design a brew so discusting, that even a mere glimpse would turn satans eyelids inside out and make him gag for eternity..... Then give it to my neighbours as a peace offering whose dog kept me up all night with the barking. Perhaps I already have some :ph34r: . Mabee with some taco seasoning and a touch of tobasco just to finnish it off :D And some lactose to sweeten it. Then tell them it isnt mature, and to age it for a few months.

I knew you would Pete! :lol:

I'm almost convinced to do a pumpkin beer whether I get to try one first or not. Can anyone tell me if the pumpkin needs to be mashed with grain with excess diastatic power? Or can it be mashed separately? Not sure how I feel about running pumpkin through my just ordered BeerBelly Falsie - thinking I'd prefer to do a separate little BIAB jobbie for the pumpkin then combine for the boil.

seems to be a few variations (putting my googlefu to work).
add to mash or
add to boil (see here) or
add to secondary or
cheat and use Lorann Oil (see here)

I think adding to mash is traditional, but doesnt really make sense to me. you'd loose a lot of flavour i would have thought. although you'd get the sugars from it. i'd be tempted to add to secondary. no idea why im that way inclined though.

I want to give it a go too bum. I'm game if you are... I'd just chuck it in the mash. After a solid roasting of course! Let all the enzymes do their thing and hey presto, beer. Just like normal I guess...

Latest posts

Back