Vegetable Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jivesucka

Reaction score
any ideas people? i wanna make something really potent and tasty

Parsnip or rhubarb wine. Lots of recipes kicking around. If you cant find any on the net, ill dig a couple out of some books.

Pumpkin ale.

I don't have a recipe but the idea has been driving me quite mad ever since I first heard of it. Not game to put one down until I try a commercial example.

Add yeast to diluted worm-farm runnings FTW.

Pumpkin ale.

I don't have a recipe but the idea has been driving me quite mad ever since I first heard of it. Not game to put one down until I try a commercial example.
[/quot
FIBC in Wollongong used to do one for halloween & it was f@#king awesome!! :icon_drool2: Unfortunately I also don't have a recipe but some of the lads from the IBU might have one? I know it involves roasted pumpkin though :ph34r:

There's a section in radical brewing that talks about pumpkin, corn and mushrooms as bases for beer.

I guess you could anything you like as long as you can work out how to get the best flavour and the right amount of starch conversion where necessary.

Try potatoes or taros - those starches must be able to be made use of somehow.

There us a brewing book all about using veggies etc. Can think of what it's called. Will report back.

Haven't worked out whether ur taking the pisss about this topic though. R y trying to brew something for drinking or just. Being a knob ( ie look at ur topic title)

Potato beer would be interesting. Maybe sweet potato - not sure what starches are there, and what can be converted, but surely someone's done it before....

Pumpkin ale.

only one I've tried is a special from Murry's.... and it was fucken awesome :icon_drool2:

Yeah, look - all you blokes who've had one are just gonna have to shut up. Thanks.

I'll be in the US next week and I'm going to do my best to seek out a Dogfish Head Punkin Ale. I know it won't be a current seasonal but I'm hoping I'll find a dusty one somewhere. Not one I'm counting on getting a hold of this trip, however. Released in September and usually hard to come by by around November as I understand it.

have done a potato and sweet potato brew and they both convert in the mash.

I have an old book (Making wine at home by Keith Linden). In it there are recipes for artichoke wine, carrot wine, date wine, oak leaf wine, parsnip wine, quince wine. Any of those tickle your fancy?

a quick look at fisher and fisher's homebrewer's garden suggests using squash, pumpkin, potatoe, parsnip and the like. it says to boil or bake them and throw it straight into the mash. hope that helps.
murray

i did a pumpkin beer last year and it was pretty nice.i think you could omit the pumpkin though and just use the spices,i couldnt tast the pumpkin and really dont know what it did for the beer. earlier this year i did a rice, potatoe and sweet potatoe beer based on the rules of the iron brewer competition mentioned on basic brewing. got good conversion but still couldnt detect potatoe or sweet potatoe in the finished product. i did get a load of diacetyl though, but this is probably more to do with my process than ingrediants i would say.

View attachment 37390Spured on by bear grills and this thread, I just tried some of my pumpking beer I made a little while ago - mabee a bit too long ago (6 weeks) and so too long still in the fermenter - first I got a taste of wine, then gaged and almost threw up! :icon_vomit: I think that satisfies my curiousily - should stick to beer from now on.

Tastes like pumpkin soup and wine vommit! Heaps of particals in it though.

In the interest of showing HOW NOT to make pumpkin beer, here is how I did it:

Boiled 6 butternut pumpkins with salt, pepper, Basil, a field mushroom and a chilli. Drained the liquid clarified with an old tshirt, and mashed with about 1kg pils plus some carapils (made soup with the pumpkin) Linky: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...ic=42722&hl=
Did a tshirt biab!*F!? then boiled. Fermented with S23. Made 5L

Attachments

• pumpkin_beer.jpg
    pumpkin_beer.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 31
As stated I've never done one but wouldn't you want the solids for the mash? Anyone?

Vomit sounds like an infection, Bandito.

As stated I've never done one but wouldn't you want the solids for the mash? Anyone?
would have thoght so.

really you have to defer to the yanks on how to do pump[kin beers. its an instituion over there incl using a massive pumpkin as the fermentor. some of them even 'tap' the pumpking to drink the resulting brew.

Thirstyboy did a pumpkin beer a couple years back from memory and I vaugly remember it tasting pretty good.

My Pumpkin Ale
Pretty much make any simple APA recipe and dont dry hop. Spice instead.

4.5kg Pale malt
.5 Wheat
.5 Crystal 40-60
25g Chinook or cascade 60 min
15g Chinook or cascade 15 min
15g Chinook or cascade 5 min
US05 or other unobtrusive yeast
1.5 kg roasted punkin bits.
(Heat oven, cut up 2kg unpeeled punkin into 5cm cubes, place on baking paper in a hot oven, sprinkle with brown sugar, roast till soft, eat 500g of roast punking because it smells awesome, throw the rest in the mash like normal for the full 60 minutes)

Transfer to 2ndary when fermentaion has stopped, add spicey tea for at least three days.
Spicy tea:
Boil spices for 5 minutes
1/2 tsp fresh groundnutmeg
1/2 tsp fresh grated cinnamon
1/4 tsp fresh ground sishuan (sp?) pepper
Avoid pre-ground spices.. they have a real plasticky flavour in the beer.

Ive done this one twice.. and now feel like doing it all over again!

Latest posts

Back