Vb Is Rubbish Right?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just like mainstream music... it looks like pure sex but the content is shithouse.

its not just vb, all beer I've ever bought seems to have really good head retention.

One thing that could be influencing your comment is that in pubs etc beer is normally served in headmaster (or similar) glasses, which have an etched bottom to aid in head retention.

My homebrew often has really good head retention.

Head retention, quality and flavour are very different things.

(My homebrew has what I like to think of as quality and flavour too)

There are also various things the big guys do to promote head retenton. Tetrahop is one thing that does that from memory. I remember on a tour of cub back in the early 2000s i saw several large drums of the stuff in the brewery.

You could pour VB between the breasts of Jennifer Hawkins and it would still taste like shit .... er....hang on...

because - even if you hate the beer - it is very very well made. The makers brew so much beer, and so many batches and have such good control over the process, that the beers are in effect close to perfectly made. Thus the protein levels and constitution are tweaked and tailored and controlled - and you get a beautiful solid long lasting head. Because thats what the brewers want.

no tetra in VB - but it does make the head even more sticky and solid. Check the differnece on the head formation and retention in any commercial beer thats in a clear glass bottle, to the ones in brown glass. Its noticeably different. Clear glass beers get tetra because it doesn't suffer from light strike like normal hops/hop extracts do.

no tetra in VB - but it does make the head even more sticky and solid. Check the differnece on the head formation and retention in any commercial beer thats in a clear glass bottle, to the ones in brown glass. Its noticeably different. Clear glass beers get tetra because it doesn't suffer from light strike like normal hops/hop extracts do.

Interesting comment TB, a few of us were pondering this the other day and I think you have just confirmed what Rook was saying!

In Queensland beer with a good head is only about 20 years old. Back then when there were no schooners and beer was served in seven and ten ounce glasses, it was served with very little head, maybe just a sort of scum on the top but the beer was virtually level with the top of the glass, and head was a NSW thing. It was common when visiting NSW, when served a NSW schooner with a thick head (collar) to ask "why don't you put a bloody tie on it as well".

Pubs then were tied houses and there was not the same commercial argy bargy between brands, in fact there weren't any brands except for Carlton Draught and XXXX depending on what pub you went to (a red pub or a blue pub).

Nowadays with pubs milking every cent of profit out of every keg, the head is a godsend to Queensland pubs, why wouldn't you serve the biggest creamiest head you can get away with and pocket four or five percent out of the beer you are cheating the customer out of by not giving them full measure?

Back to the flat days I say.

Or you could put a mark on the glass that shows where full measure is - make the glass a bit bigger than that and fill liquid to the mark with head above it

The best of both worlds then. Full measure and a nice attractive head as well. Seems fairly standard on Euro glasses nowadays.

Two words..

Headmaster Glasses.

Not true. I use Headmasters at home and I notice a huge difference between various similar styles of beers. They aren't magic - they don't give a glorious head to every beer.

Or you could put a mark on the glass that shows where full measure is - make the glass a bit bigger than that and fill liquid to the mark with head above it

The best of both worlds then. Full measure and a nice attractive head as well. Seems fairly standard on Euro glasses nowadays.

In the UK, especially in high volume pubs I seem to remember that the bar attendant would press a button, place the glass under the swan neck and exactly a half pint would be dispensed then press again for the next half pint. Obviously the glass had to be a bit bigger to take the foam and there would be a line on the glass. I don't know if they still do that.

British Government approved glasses certified by the "Weights and Measures" dept.

They also used to go round Petrol Stations and measure the output of pumps to make sure they were accurate.

Only ever seen ACA checking up on petrol here.

Come on Guy's VB is not all that bad. I am a big fan of Stella Artois and many in the UK put it down as a beer for Bogan's
Now I definitely don't agree with that.

Back