Vb Is Rubbish Right?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hatchor, your logic necessitates that everyone holding a negative opinion of VB be quite old (well, let's say "life experinced").

Plenty of your younger types dislike VB.

Hatchor, your logic necessitates that everyone holding a negative opinion of VB be quite old (well, let's say "life experinced").

Plenty of your younger types dislike VB.

Youth is wasted on the young.

Life's too short to drink poor beer .. unless that's all they have ! HTFU and drink it Freddy, drink it ! !

Wish you guys wouldnt swear I missed the last two posts, silly firewall....

As you guys are in the state of the best megaswill!

I was introduced to Crownies while I was in Melbourne, as the people we were staying with knew we liked good beer so they brought us a carton. The carton disappeared.... I drank it happily!

It seems everyone loves Pure Blonde these days. :(

Well, not me. I say the collar doesn't match the cuffs!

Yeha, not a pure blond fan either, much rather redheads

maybe, depends on what you consider a younger type, i'm still in me twenties.... :beer:

Then I am baffled by the original comment I was referring to but that's fine - I am frequently baffled. Came across as being a very old man kind of thing to say, though. IMO, obviously. Always IMO.

I think blonde is better than VB.. purely because blonde doesnt have any taste.. the VB 'taste' is just shocking...

Wish you guys wouldnt swear I missed the last two posts, silly firewall....

tell your firewall to stop playing mum! (edited it so you should be able to read it)

Why don't people think home brand cola is any good. After all it has great carbonation, the colour is spot on and sure its a cola.....

Oh wait it tastes like.........!

That's what you will find in Germany. You can even get fined for not filling up to the mark!

There was a trend in the UK for selling Magners Cider 'over ice' - this meant loading a pint glass with ice and filling what was left with Magners. I think their cunning plan lasted about a week before people just stopped drinking it. Bulmers however, offered a custom 700ml glass, filled to the 'pint line' then topped up with Ice. Unfortunately, only one such glass survived shipping when I emigrated... (i shipped about 12)...

I digress...

...suffice to say, I have no idea what you're talking about. -snip- edited for the sake of international diplomacy and the fact that I'm still on a two year visa... Let's just say VB isn't my favourite beer... Thankfully it's all changing... :icon_cheers:

[awaits geriatric flaming from people who remember when VB was made from Mermaids tears]

I don't like VB particularly, but I haven't been a megaswill type of guy for at least the last 30 years.

However, I should have been so lucky as to as to start my beer career on VB. It's infinitely better than the decrepit horse p_ss NZ draught beers available there in the late 60s early 70s. (no, I'm not a Kiwi or a Sheep Fagger).

Instead, I got heavily into wines, particularly good reds. Once JSAA and LCPA appeared, I was won back to beers.

Scruffy, eyup lad can't be any worse than t'Carling.

BABBs meeting Thursday, interested in coming along for a look? :icon_cheers:

I don't like VB particularly, but I haven't been a megaswill type of guy for at least the last 30 years.

However, I should have been so lucky as to as to start my beer career on VB. It's infinitely better than the decrepit horse p_ss NZ draught beers available there in the late 60s early 70s. (no, I'm not a Kiwi or a Sheep Fagger).

Instead, I got heavily into wines, particularly good reds. Once JSAA and LCPA appeared, I was won back to beers.

you do like the good life don't ya Warra.. hope you are not getting to wet up there!

At a recent dinner, I'm drinking CPA, my brother-in-law is drinking 'Pure Blonde' (he's graduated from Bourbon and lemonade, at least).

Our very proper mutual mother-in-law is sitting between us.

He (I'll call him 'Wayne' as such is his name) picks up his 'beer' and asks loudly: 'So Geoff, have you ever had a Blonde...'.

Scruffy, eyup lad can't be any worse than t'Carling.

BABBs meeting Thursday, interested in coming along for a look? :icon_cheers:

Talking of the 'i remember when this was all fields' old man 'you could leave your front door unlocked' nonsense, I remember... there used to be a Servo at the end of our school playing fields, it sold tiny 6 packs of Long Life lager - a bit like Carling, but sh1t (imagine that?!!). We used to drink it between classes...

Other absolute dribble: Grunhalle (Greenalls lager), Double Diamond, Watneys Red Barrel... heady days!

and they say the Engrish, err... I forget...

Anyroad, Thursday, I'd be delighted old chap...I've set the GPS. :icon_cheers: (whatever that is...)

Serve almost any megalager - VB, Crown (yes it's swill), Blonde, TED, Hahn Super Dry, WED, etc. - freezing bloody cold and fizzy and you'll never know the difference. If I want refreshment I'll drink cold water/soft drink, though if someone paid for and put a beer in front of me I wouldn't likely knock it back. If I want a beer I'll buy something that actually tastes like something and doesn't taste like metaphorical arse when it's not freezing cold.

Unfortunatly in many pubs there isnt any beer to select that's decent. Its either the tap staples of VB, Resches, Tooheys etc or its a locally brewed version of some european beer like heinekin. Personally i am finding it very hard to drink more than two or three local beers at a pub anymore, its not some elitist mentality, but a very real issue that it makes me wretch, and gives me a shitty headache. Of course after two or three if I am obliged to drink them, i'll switch to hard liqor.

So its not always a 'nose-in-the-air' attitude that people have. It really is, IMO, a shitty beer.

Back