VB Clone, have I destroyed it

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdupagne

Reaction score
Have been wanting to do an Aussie bitter of some description for a while. I seemed to have messed this one a bit
Recipe was supposed to be as per picture but in a bit of a rush I
Added 1 kg of body blend instead of 500g
Forgot. To add the 250g of Dex and
Forgot to steep the hops as I thought they were for dry hopping,
Will this beer be any good?
Can I dry hop with POR hops?
Any advice welcome ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1459424231.155619.jpg

dont stress. and dont dry hop POR, thats a bad idea

I have cascade or Amarillo but not too sure either of these would suit this beer?

The Morgans brew can will already have had a bittering addition of POR or something similar in it so the 12 gram steep would not have made much of a difference to that aspect of the brew. As for the Dex - well that is probably about 50% of the mix in the body blend so in actual fact you have added only 250 grams more of brewing adjuncts than was in the recipe. This is not a disaster in any sense. Have a home brew and chill out!

The two hops you nominated are nice but neither is in the style of VB if that is what you really want to try and achieve. Personally I would add both just to not make it so much like VB! Your choice entirely!

Why not give them a crack mate

Wont suit but still nice

I'd just leave it as is and let it ferment out. I doubt it would really be much different from the recipe in the picture anyway. Not really sure why they'd include finishing hops for a VB clone though, from what I've tasted of it the hops are lucky to be anywhere near the vicinity of the boil kettle at all.

When did you brew it? You can always make a hop tea from the finishing hops and add it (better using wort than water, so long as you can remove some sanitarily and its not been fermenting too long, or have some extract to hand; otherwise water is ok).

Not sure I understand why you want to brew a VB style beer, but each to their own I guess. Neither Amarillo or cascade would suit the beer you're trying to make, but either or both work very well as dry hops.

Personally, I'd go for a dry hop with Amarillo and cascade at 1g to 1.5g per litre of each and hang on to the POR for another brew. It won't be VB, but it'd be bloody nice

Cheers for the advice guys. I think I'll just leave the hops out and see how it turns out. Reason for this brew is just something in the fridge for me mates to drink so the leave my other brews alone

don't stress mate, you won't destroy a VB clone it'll only be an improvement on the real thing, CUB destroyed it when they made it!

just kidding mate, plus one on the amarillo!

Only CUB can/could/did destroy VB. The character of VB is that of yeast shitting itself under pressure (literally & figuratively).

I've got a few original bottles that still have yeast in the bottom of them :eek: & quite frankly, despite their obvious age, aren't bad at all. They're still occasionally used for Judge training in Victoria as a bit of a "test" of the judges' skills... :ph34r:

You've got the beer-world at your feet. Why try to replicate one of the worst there is?

*Steps-down off soap-box*

Latest posts

Back