Vb Champion Beer Of Show

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the worst gifts I ever received was from my Neighbour, after borrowing my lawn mower, brush cutter, tools and other gear for 3 years, before they moved out, he gifted me with a warm carton of XXXXGold tinnies to thank me for everything, what a god damn insult that was. It was quickly re-gifted...

Worst part was he asked me what I drank beforehand, ya get that when you live next door to a commission house I suppose...

But I have no problem buying a 30-pack of New cans when the time is right.

I remembered after I posted an earlier comment about not buying megas, that a couple of times a year I do buy 30 packs of Tooheys New. It is my preferred choice of beer when going camping and 30 is bang on for about 3-4 days of steady session drinking.

Horses for courses, but in my humblest of opinions... VB is shit, anyway you spin it. Out of a can, it's probably the shittest it ever gets.

I remembered after I posted an earlier comment about not buying megas, that a couple of times a year I do buy 30 packs of Tooheys New. It is my preferred choice of beer when going camping and 30 is bang on for about 3-4 days of steady session drinking.

A 30 pack lasts you 3-4days when camping? Your a better man than I...

Helped the daughter around the house at Manning Point the other day and while she and SWMBO had a coffee, I trotted off to the general store/takeway/baitshop/servo/grog shop that services the village to get a longneck (note the immigrant's grasp of the vocabulary - "tallie" no longer exists B) .

Being a 20 min drive home and the cops often stake out Old Bar Road as there's only one way in and out of the place, I picked a bottle of Tooheys Red, which I haven't had for years. It's 4% ABV and actually I enjoyed it very much, no mouse piss skunk twang, a faint sweetness and quite clean finish - not unlike some Kiwi tap beers I had over there. Quite a surprise for a Toohey product.

Of course I hit the APA when I got home, but would definitely go the Red again. I believe that Fosters also rebrews KB in the gold cans sometimes, to maintain the trademark.

I would rather drink VB than the kit beer I used to make.

It had more twang than Country and Western combined.

I believe that Fosters also rebrews KB in the gold cans sometimes, to maintain the trademark.
A mate gifted me a carton of KB early last year
for megaswill, it was actually half decent
I'd buy another carton if I spotted it at the bottlo

A mate gifted me a carton of KB early last year
for megaswill, it was actually half decent
I'd buy another carton if I spotted it at the bottlo

FARK!!! is KB still around? I remember drinking that stuff 30 years ago, is it still in the gold can?

It had more twang than Country and Western combined.

Maybe steer clear of my Christmas Beer at the next meeting then :lol: it has some "character", don't know about twang but some weird flavours :lol:

deliberate trawl? NFW VB was ever as good as my average K'n'B

Mate, I mean this with sincerity and not at all wishing to start a 'kit' thing debate.. repeat.. NOT wanting to start a kit thing debate, but you must have been making some bad decisions.. I admit that sure, better beer can be made by other means (many / varied) but I can honestly say that with attention to detail, fantastic beer can be make from kit origins, not as easy as 1, 2, 3 but I was punching out beers I was well proud of before my switch... in fact, took me a while to get back there with the 'other method' ;)

Well done to the makers of VB, successful product in an increasingly competitive market and for one I welcome that over XXXX or several other MS'ers

*naturally wouldn't be caught dead drinking either

:icon_cheers:

FARK!!! is KB still around? I remember drinking that stuff 30 years ago, is it still in the gold can?
Sure is
I've got 2 cans in a little shrine sort of thing we've got going on at home
I'll grab a pic when i get home

VB, cultural, not culinary icon.

Ironic for VIC bitter to be qualifying for QLD brewed.

Looking at the award winners, seems like a conspicuous absence of alternatives in this category - speaks volumes really.
http://www.rna.org.au/media/562750/2012%20...20catalogue.pdf

CLASS 2 Golden Lagers - Australian Style
Gold 7 236350 Carlton & United Breweries Victoria Bitter 45.0
Silver 1 236348 Carlton & United Breweries Carlton Dry 43.0
Bronze 6 236346 Carlton & United Breweries Great Northern 38.0
Bronze 2 236321 Lion Nathan Tooheys Extra Dry Platinum 37.0
Bronze 4 236349 Carlton & United Breweries Crown Lager 37.0
Bronze 5 236329 William Bull Brewery Williams Premium Lager 36.0
3 236358 Blue Sky Brewery Fnq Lager 27.0

Not my 'poison', prefer to give myself a rank hangover and general lowered self-esteem with pretty much anything else on offer but if it hits the spot then bloody great for you, stocked everywhere, iconic, slabhats for the cricket etc.

Most other categories totally dominated by micros looking at the awards.

No reaction to 'Queensland Sausage of the Year' yet?

Most other categories totally dominated by micros looking at the awards.

Yes, we were pretty pleased to get 2 x 1st place & 1 x 2nd place for the 3 catergories we entered.

Cheers

Ross
Bacchus Brewing Co.

Yes, we were pretty pleased to get 2 x 1st place & 1 x 2nd place for the 3 catergories we entered.

Cheers

Ross
Bacchus Brewing Co.

Nice results Ross, you must be pretty pleased. Congratulations, which beers gave you the wins.

Andrew

Nice results Ross, you must be pretty pleased. Congratulations, which beers gave you the wins.

Andrew

Our Qld Ale won best Golden Ale, our White Chocolate Pilsner won best hybrid/other (all encompasing class) & our Belgian Heffe got 2nd in the wheat class, knocking off Burleigh Brewing who came 3rd :)

Cheers Ross

Yes, congratulations, I did see 'Bacchus' but didn't click on the connection. Must be rewarding to receive this kind of recognition, especially as relatively low volume brewers by comparison to some of the big names present.

Out of interest, do the judges at these things know what beer they're drinking when they judge it? Or is a blind judging within each category?

Latest posts

Back