Vaseline V's Keg Lube

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After finding one of my PRVs to be leaking I was wondering about lube options (having not used it, or had need to use it before).

I think I'll go with the KY.

Just as a point of interest, the keg lube sold by BD is Petroleum-Based<_<

PZ.

poppa joe said:
Would rubber grease as in "brake cylinders " do the same job?
Cheers
PJ>
[post="96687"][/post]​

PJ,

I'm sure it would help the seal, BUT...if you smoke and work on cars sooner or later you accidentally taste everything...that sh*t tastes...no good for beer vessels :(

PZ.

Just a thought ..fingerlicken ...... Thanks...But got a bottle of ky at
Big W last week ....in the specials bin...1/4 the usual price.....
And i havent got a keg system yet...????????????
Good to have around as a standby.....
chjeers
PJ>

There is an article on this you can find at http://www.ipass.net/~mpdixon/Homebrew/Lubricants.htm
Hope it helps - I just have to wait for my kegs to arrive! dougy.

Lubricants for Keg Parts

By: Mike Dixon, [email protected]

Due to some discussions on the lubrication of keg parts when reassembling, and a little confusion, I thought it would be nice to go over what exactly keg lube may be. In all cases it should be tasteless, odorless, and FDA approved for food contact. Keg lube prolongs the life of the O-rings, and can assist in sealing the keg. Generic keg lube is usually one of two things, silicone compound (grease/lubricant), or petrol gel.

The differences between silicone compound and petrol gel are the price, and some of the properties. The price of petrol gel is about 6 times less than the price of silicone compound. Petrol gel also can inhibit head retention.

In theory the beer only comes in contact with the poppets. Petrol gel can be used everywhere but on the poppets if the brewer is worried about an effect on head retention, and silicone compound can be used on the poppets. If the brewer shakes the keg for carbonation, then he or she should take care to utilize silicone compound everywhere to insure no loss in head retention due to beer contact with all lubricated surfaces.

Even a small tin of keg lube will last a very long time. Most of the lubricants come in small one ounce or less tins, 4 oz or greater tubes, or silicone in spray cans. They may have many names Petrol Gel, Lubri-Film, Silicone Compound, Silicone Lube to name a few. If purchasing outside of a homebrew shop, be sure they are FDA approved, and no problems should arise. Scuba shops also sell a food grade silicone lube.

Some suggested replacements have been Vaseline, and KY Jelly. Vaseline can be used, but it does not have the properties of being tasteless and odorless. KY Jelly is water soluble, and could become dissolved in the beer. It also dries over time, and would not be a good choice. In general if I did not have either silicone, or petrol gel, and had to reassemble the keg, I would use nothing at all.

The wholesale cost of silicone spray in a 13 oz can is $5.64, silicone compound in a 5.3 oz tube is $12.00, petrol gel in a 4 oz tube is $1.54, and lubri-film in a 4 oz tube is $3.30. Since it lasts virtually forever, my choice is silicone compound from my local brew shop.

im using a dow corning product that i got from work, it is an electrical insulative compound that contains mostly silicon. From what i can tell its just a simple silicon grease. It seems to do the trick. Ill have to look up the safety datasheets oneday to check the health risks but im not too concerned.

I use a small tub of silicone grease from the Scuba shop. I find the most useful application is on the post orings to help those QD slide on and off easily.

It's food grade and you know what your dealing with. Anything else and you have to be suspect.

While I have no doubt petroleum based stuff will do the job why use it when you've got a better alternative. The stuff lasts for ages as you use very little.

Cheers, Justin

Ahh, yeah - this is why my disconnects were so hard to get off this morning! Do you just smear the lube right around the gas in and liquid out plugs?

What about inside the disconnects?

Cheers - Mike

We sell some of this type of stuff at work so I have tried a few different products.

Tried a tube of Rocol Sapphire silicone Oring grease. its pretty thick & you have to smear it on with your fingers. Ive found this good for the fermenter lid seal & airlock oring when they dont want to seal.

Stuff im using at the moment & am happy with is Helmar Aerosol silicone spray. use it on kegs & QD's. Also is great for fermenter taps, a quick spray when reassembly after cleaning & they turn very easily. No more twisting out of its thread with a full fermenter. Best thing about this stuff is its dirt cheap, bout $4 per 300g can.

Both say food grade too.

wide eyed and legless said:
I would be going with the KY jelly double the amount for $6.00.
And you can use it for other household applications ;)

KY or wetstuff. Just ask the pharmacy for something to grease your ring. They'll look after you.

10 years between posts- Impressive.

Lube threads never get old.

Latest posts

Back