Vacuum Packer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony M

Reaction score
Just noticed that the 24 hour special today at OO.com.au is a vacuum packer and a few bags thrown in. Price is 50 bux. (no affiliation etc.) Look it up if interested. You'll save more than that by bulk buying your hops.

Is that a good price? A good model? I have no idea on how much these things cost/what works well?

The win/win in the kitchen is obvious, happy xmas sugar, I got you a vacuum sealing thing for your hops, i mean the chops.

A few people on here have the same sealer. You can pick them up from evilbay for $51 posted including 18 bags. Or $74 with 258 bags, which would be great

Buy the wife it as a birthday present for her kitchen stuff, and afterwards realise it could be used for hops :ph34r:

QldKev

And where do we buy more bags from and are they pricey. 20 bags isn't much.

You can buy them in rolls a make your own bags to suit on eBay. I used the large bags suplied and broke them down into some smaller ones. The big ones will do a few kilos of hops.

You can buy them in rolls a make your own bags to suit on eBay. I used the large bags suplied and broke them down into some smaller ones. The big ones will do a few kilos of hops.

Good point. I have a different vac sealer, but I have been packaging my hops into smaller sized bags. That way you are not dragging all the hops out and subjecting them to air everytime you use them.

QldKev

Just bought a vac sealer from crazysales.com.au for $54. Maxkkon brand. it came with 2 x 3m rolls of bags, 24 and 28cm.

Very happy with it.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Just bought a vac sealer from crazysales.com.au for $54. Maxkkon brand. it came with 2 x 3m rolls of bags, 24 and 28cm.
Very happy with it.
Cheers :icon_cheers:
can it seal bags with liquid in?

can it seal bags with liquid in?
ive had my maxkon for a couple of years now, use it for everything around the kitchen. seals most things even half eaten chip bags, will only vac seal the bag material that comes with it. if there is any liquid in what is being vac sealed u need to keep it out of the sealing and vac section, thats what will screw them. paper towel rolled up works well

The Maxkon ones kick ass.

They shit over anything from sunbeam.

$50 shipped with some rolls - bargain.

Here's a list of the items i've tried, and what i thought of them.

Sunbeam "foodsaver" system (or whatever the thing was called) with the one way valves in the bag - fucken useless. One way valve my ass.
Zipvac - bags with a pluggable valve and comes with it's own hand pump system. Seems like a good idea right? Yeah, well it was until the valves twisty cover breaks because the three little tabs that hold it to the bag are thinner than a bees dick. Also fucken useless.
Some other system from BigW that involved a pump with a pluggable valve. Better than the others but still ultimately failed to stay airtight for more than a week.

Sunbeam vacuum sealer VAC420 or 240 (can't remember exactly). This unit worked beatifully well, and i am still happy with it. Have hops in my freezer that have been in there for more than a year and still going strong and airtight.
Here's the problem with it though.
You cannot just seal a bag without having to go through the whole vacuum cycle first.
You have to physically cut the bag, and then take it to the vac sealer to use it.
You have to actually push down on the lid of the unit to create the seal for the vac to work. This is not a flaw in my unit - It's how the thing is actually designed.
And it's fucken expensive. The unit cost me $128 from BigW.

The Maxkon:
Vacuuming and Sealing are two separate cycles and can do either Vacuum and Seal together, or just seal a bag without vacuuming.
It has it's own bag roll holder inside, with it's own bag cutter system. Pull out how much you want, cut it, make it into a bag. No more craft cutters, knives, or scissors...
The lid locks down so you can walk away while it does it's shit.
It's very cheap at around $50 delivered.

Absolutely no comparison. They both do the job, but the Maxkon does it so much easier and on the cheap too!

my 2c...

SWMBO has a Sunbeam 540 or something Vacuum Sealer...

Does a great job, but as Big Nath says, its annoying having to grab the scissors, juggle a roll of vacuumbagstuff, cut it, hold it down, and then go through a full vacuum cycle just to use the sealer!

BUT it does work ;)

I've been using it for specialty malts (<=1KG) and hops. Works a treat.

I think she likes it when I use her stuff to make beer ;)

Now does anyone have a cheap place to get the rolls from?

Does a great job, but as Big Nath says, its annoying having to grab the scissors, juggle a roll of vacuumbagstuff, cut it, hold it down, and then go through a full vacuum cycle just to use the sealer!

BUT it does work ;)

They will save your hops though, I had one of my large 150g bags of homegrown EKG that went fuzzy in the fridge this year pre vacuum sealer. We use ours regularly as we now bulk buy meats, seal them up and toss them in the chest freezer. A worthwhile investment. Got a pretty good deal at goodguys, also a sunbeam, and replacement bags are cheap on ebay. really easy to use. They take up a bit of space though.

BUT it does work ;)

I get my bags and stuff from here:

http://www.thepackagingcentre.com.au/

Not sure on the bags but the 5m rolls around $12. Shipping is about $10. Up to 2kg.

Cheap as.

Back