Vac Packing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mercs Own

blabla
Reaction score
With 70 salamis to vac pack I thought it was time to purchase my own vacuum sealer. Love to hear what advice and brands those of you with your own would suggest.

As I have the sunbeam mincer and am happy with that I thought I would go their vac packer as well but keen to hear others thoughts.

Cheers

Unfortunately not much history with mine as I only purchased it a few weeks ago. 50 odd salamis, some home cured pancetta, bulk purchased hops and some other bits and pieces. Works great. I got one from Aldi for $99.00. Someone at work told me they saw them on special for $79.00 at Aldi in the city (Near the Vic market) this week. They also had the rolls of film(?) on special for $14.00 (I payed $20.00).

We've been using the Sunbeam 550 for about two years and can't fault it, works perfectly. It takes a 28 cm plastic bag. Only thing with the Sunbeam models is they need a particular type of bag that appears corrugated on one side. Last time I bought those from evilbay they were two rolls @ 5.4 mtrs each for $40. A lot cheaper than the stores.

the sunbeams a cracker although a bit pricey $290 @ target

I rang the local wine, beer, salami making store to inquire about vac packers and their italian made systems start at around $300 and go up over the $1000.

i am leaning toward the sunbeam vac660. Just got to find a store that stocks them.

edit: didnt see the target bit - really target?

I bought one of these off ebay a couple of years ago and it still working well

http://tinyurl.com/lprhdu

You can use the cheap bags off ebay for it a well, I buy them in 50's. There are some other ones of ebay but I have heard any reports.
The one I have will reseal the bags craftbrewer suppliers hops in, I believe many will not.

Batz

Well I lucked out. I stopped in at the Good Guys to see if they had any sunbeams and they had the vac 440's and one vac660. The 660 was $245 but they only had the display unit so they gave that one to me for $186! Time to vac my salami's.

I will let you know how it works.

I bought one of these. Cheaper than the Sunbeam, and the bags are cheaper for ongoing costs...

Sounds like you got a bargin there Merc.

There's a thread on the gear and equipment section about vac units. I think Thirstyboy started it.

He got his from the packingcentrre also. So did I. seems to work ok. struggles a bit with really loaded bags but still works, I got mine off ebay for $80 from memory.

Sounds like you got a bargin there Merc.

There's a thread on the gear and equipment section about vac units. I think Thirstyboy started it.

He got his from the packingcentrre also. So did I. seems to work ok. struggles a bit with really loaded bags but still works, I got mine off ebay for $80 from memory.

Regarding the bargin I will see as I will learn about the cost of bags etc as I go along - but the unit was a good price!

Thanks for the info on the thread I will check it out.

Someone was saying that you can pick up the bags at some supermarkets. Kmart, Big W etc all sell them. Otherwise that packing centre place (above link) sells bags but wont let you pick them up (mail order only) which is crap because the postage is a bit high. But the bags are relatively cheap.

hmmmm vac bag bulk buy!

Thought I would post a couple of pics of the sunbeam in action. We vaced about 30 salami's yesterday and the machine was great - however it does over heat when you do a lot in a row and it would stop working so as to cool down. This wasnt a problem and it was outlined in the instructions it just means in a production line type environment you cant push it too fast you have to slow down and have a home brew as you go!

First you cut the size bags you want from the roll - then you seal one end off. Put your salami in and line up the open end with the vacuum port and then close lid press vac and seal. Done. Easy.

cutting_the_bags.JPG

cutting_the_bags2.JPG

sealing_the_first_edge.JPG

prepping_to_vacuum.JPG

vacuuming.JPG

some_done_some_ready_to_do.JPG

looks like the sunbeam mod3el has a double seal element on it? double the seal means double protection! the one I have only has one seal element :(

god they look good Paul.

looks like the sunbeam mod3el has a double seal element on it? double the seal means double protection! the one I have only has one seal element :(

god they look good Paul.

Thanks taste bloody good too! The sunbeam has only the one seal strip at the front - the other two black strips are part of the vacuum mechanism.

I can chime in that these are invaluable for freezing/storing any significant QTY of homegrown hops.
I have salami envy :unsure: .

One day I will get in on the home made smallgoods, the absolute best sausage I had was from a family friend's pig, all home prepared and smoked... really something else. I have 3 good smokehouses nearby, but nothing that good.

Latest posts

Back