Using Plate Chiller Without Pump

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davewaldo

Reaction score
Hi Guys!

Now that I've started doing double batches my 6m immersion chilller isn't up to the job. So I basically have two options:

Build a bigger Immersion Chillier $120 ($18m copper pipe $109)
or
Buy a Plate Chiller like the Mashmaster III $129

The plate chillers seem very popular but mainly with people who have march pumps. So I have a few questions.

1. I have no plans to get a pump for quite some time (if ever) and I'm wondering how this chiller goes when using gravity only?

2. How easy is it to keep clean without a pump to flush it with?

2. As I don't have a pump to recirculate back into the kettle the plate chiller will need to cool to tap temp in one pass, does it do this? And I won't be able to sanitise by recirculating hot wort, is this an issue?

I don't really want another piece of equipment which will need an hours worth of cleaning each brewday. The immersion chiller I have works great for single batches, no fuss for cleaning and I get to leave all the cold break behind. So I assume a big one would be just as good.

Water usage isn't a factor as I pump from a water tank then return the water.

By searching I've found some people are using them with gravity only and they seem to be ok, but there isn't much said about keeping them clean without a pump. I've never had an infection and I don't really like the idea of having a piece of equipment I can't clean inside of.

I'd love to hear experience from brewers who use plate chillers without pumps.

Cheers,

Dave.

Dave,

I have ran my plate chiller MM Mk2 Chillout for yonks without a pump. It's really not required in fact I still just gravity feed from the boiler to the fermenter via the plate chiller. Cleaning is easy as a quick flush with fresh water from the tap a quick little back flowing with PBW. I basically do it when I am cleaning the boiler. I'm doing a brew Sunday so if you wanted to drop around to check it out and how easy they are PM me mate. You know you always welcome at Chappo Manor. You don't have to be there for the whole day just when I drop out of the boiler.

Cheers

Chap Chap

Thanks Chappo :)

That doesn't sound too bad, what do you do to sanitise the chiller before you use it?

That doesn't sound too bad, what do you do to sanitise the chiller before you use it?

Cleaning regime is after the brew is in the fermenter is:
  1. Run fresh water thru to flush
  2. Run PBW from the boiler thru
  3. Run thru it Starsan
  4. Every 4th - 5th run I thoroughly drain and pop it into a 180-200C oven for 1hr (just in case)
On the brew day I just flush with fresh water again then with the starsan from one of the fermenters thru it before use.

Simple

Chap Chap

BTW welcome to borrow mine for a test run on your system Dave.

Cutting in...

I just flush mine as per Chappo and sanitise by sitting in the HLT until I have sparged, then I bring to boil, take out to cool, then gravity feed chill. Works well.

I just flush mine as per Chappo and sanitise by sitting in the HLT until I have sparged, then I bring to boil, take out to cool, then gravity feed chill. Works well.

Thanks Tourist, thats a great idea! :)

I know Chappo's kettle is about 1m off the ground, how high do others find is necessary to get good flow?

I know Chappo's kettle is about 1m off the ground, how high do others find is necessary to get good flow?

My kettle (30L urn) sits on top of a bucket during the boil so it is less than 40cm from the ground and I haven't had any issues with the flow through the chiller.

cliffo

Thanks Tourist, thats a great idea! :)

Mine actually sits below the top of the fermenter height for most of the time and it works just fine. The fact is you don't want it flowing fast as that only increases the final temp. I run mine about 1/4 turn of the ball valve and that will chill 50lts in about 10-15mins to exactly tap temp which currently is about 27C. Looking at installing a gearbox oil cooler (basically a small radiator) in the freezer of one of my fridges in solid block of ice and run the tap water thru that and then thru the chiller to get closer to 20C for pitching straight away.

Cheers

Chap Chap

cool thanks guys.... Its looking more like I should get the plate chiller. :)

As for prechilling the water, I thought I might use my old immersion chiller in an esky of ice.

Chappo, I seem to remember on your brew days you whirlpooled before running through the chiller. Do you still leave some break and hops in the kettle even though it might only be 5mins from flameout? I assumed it would all end up in the fermenter?

cool thanks guys.... Its looking more like I should get the plate chiller. :)

As for prechilling the water, I thought I might use my old immersion chiller in an esky of ice.

Chappo, I seem to remember on your brew days you whirlpooled before running through the chiller. Do you still leave some break and hops in the kettle even though it might only be 5mins from flameout? I assumed it would all end up in the fermenter?

Hmmm not sure what your asking here Dave. I have been measuring plans all day and the brain is a little fuzzy. I think your asking do I leave the all the gunk behind in the kettle? Well I usually flame out and let it settle for 5mins or so, then whirlpool and leave for 20mins or so with the lid on. I then run thru chiller and drain kettle leaving behind hops and break. Usually as much as I can but still being economical. Did that answer your q or did I completely miss?

Chap Chap

Yes mate, thats what I was wondering.

Thanks for all your help :)

Gravity feeding a plate chiller works fine if you have your kettle high enough to get a decent hydrostatic head.

A small pump not necessarily a March pump is very uself when circulating cleaning and sanitising solutions around. This will also leave you with a higher level of confidence that the chiller is well and truly clean rather than just hoping you have flushed the nasty bits out. Get a small pond/fountain pump that can be hooked up as an inline pump and it will do the job, all you have to do is put it in a bucket of cooler water to make sure it does not overheat if you are pumping a hot solution around.

You need to use a screen and or filter of some type or the plate chiller will plug up. The reason they work so well is the wort is run through many small passages next to the cool water. Any hop material that gets into the plate chiller will plug it up.

If you do not get clear wort out of your kettle you need to work on your screen system before you plug up a chiller.

Yes they work great with out pumps.

This thread has been very helpful (so were the boys at Craftbrewer).

I scored one of these plate chillers as a XMAS pressie yesterday.

I have a brew mashing now....you guys have inspired me to give this a go via gravity today.

Cheers,

PB

This thread has been very helpful (so were the boys at Craftbrewer).

I scored one of these plate chillers as a XMAS pressie yesterday.

I have a brew mashing now....you guys have inspired me to give this a go via gravity today.

Cheers,

PB

Tell us how it goes Dave.

Cheers

Paul

Well Paul,

Obviously, if I No-Chilled my beers they would be better than using this new-fangled bit of gear :ph34r: ,

PB

I've also benefited from this thread. As I had so many reservations about using a plate chiller without a pump Chappo kindly loaned me his for my brewday last week.

It was a spectacular success! I sanitised it by filling with Starsan. I whirlpooled as normal straight after flame out (used whirlflock) then left it for 10mins to settle. I then ran through the chiller using just gravity and the water from my water tank recirculating. It only took about 10mins and I got the wort temp down to about 27, which must have been only just above tank water temp.

I should also mention this was a 45L batch. So I thought that was pretty quick!

There was a very good amount of break left in the bottom of the kettle and the chiller was easy to clean.

So I went out a bought one the next day :)

I've found the plate chiller to be slightly more fuss in some ways, like setup and cleaning. But less fuss in others, like time until into fermenter, storage size (this is very important for me).

Also cost was the same as building my own immersion chiller.

So thanks again to Chappo, and to all others who gave advise :)

Cheers,

Dave.

I gravity feed mine, despite having a march pump. (until i get 100L system running)

I use iodophor in hoses and chillers prior to chilling. Then run hot wort through the lot, to flush iodophor until it hits fermenter.

Tip out the iodophor/hot wort then turn water on to chiller and go for it.

Then when chilling is finished I run oxyper through chiller (both directions) the rinse with fresh water.

Job done, never had a problem. :)

Back