Hand pump for ball lock

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martinez

Reaction score
I'm looking for a way of manually pumping air into a keg to be able to move liquid without using CO2. Example.. filled my corny with cleaning solution and want to run it through my beer lines and taps.. don't want to waste CO2 doing it!
Anyone have a makeshift solution for it? I thought about attaching a 12V mattress pump in a ball lock of sorts.. any ideas?

Hey @Martinez I thought I had a rock solid answer for you until I read it properly and saw you want to clean kegs not beer lines.

I made a hand pump line cleaner using a 2L weed sprayer and a corny keg liquid post - as described in this video

For the keg I guess you could do the same with a small air pump and then make a 'jumper lead' with two ball lock disconnects on it (without over thinking it I just feel the post would be easier to connect to the pump than a disconnect)

Just my 2cents 🤟

I bought a slightly bigger garden sprayer with tubing on it fitted a ball lock post and then can connect it to a ball lock connector.
IMG_20211130_101655.jpg

Both the K's have identical "Party Pumps" which may suit/be able to be adapted. Basically a bike pump. $30.

https://www.keg-king.com.au/catalog/product/view/id/32/s/party-pump-kit-picnic-pump/
https://www.kegland.com.au/party-pump-kit-picnic-pump-1325.html

You could make a short length of hose with a gas ball lock on one end, and a male Nitto type compressed air fitting on the other end. But before you connect it up to your air compressor, check the pressure is suitable. And consider that any nasties your compressor puts into the airline (like compressor oil) will end up in your kegs.

Haven't seen anyone put a disconnect onto a mattress pump but don't see why it wouldn't work. Let us know how you go.

You won't be wasting gas if you leave the CO2 in the keg until you do a low oxygen transfer of beer from your fermenter

I have a small bicycle hand pump - the type with a lever to clamp around the tyre valve.
I have a small length of beer line (with a gas disconnect at the end) fits perfectly into the tyre valve recess.
I use it for pumping hot water or sanitiser through transfer lines, etc.

Back