Using Plate Chiller Without Pump

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tell us how it goes Dave.

Cheers

Paul
Ok,

Drained via gravity, through chiller into a cube as water temp today is not low.

The ball valve height on my kettle is about the same as a cube or milk crate for obvious reasons.
I set the chiller on the milk crate inline with the kettle out tap.

The wort flowed out of my chiller and into the cube waiting next to it.

Everything was the same as my normal process of draining into a cube, except I had the tap running and catching the hot water into my mash tun to re-use. Everything, except the wort was at 31 degrees not 99 C. :D

Oh yeah, a felt like a bit of a hose monkey with SS clamps and hoses all over the place at one point.

I also ran PBW and starsan through the chiller before I started.

Have flushed and back flushed as others have suggested (with leftover hot water) and am sitting some PBW in it for a few minutes currently.

Pretty happy with it actually. Cube is in fridge to get it down the rest of the way.

Next time I won't turn the tap on my kettle on full blast and I'm sure the temp would have got down further.

I didn't know how much water would be used if I ran the wort through too slow. Anyway, Full bore from kettle, I used about 80L of water and it took about 7 minutes - I think.

Successful test..... :p

PB

Back