Using Mr Malty For Top Cropped Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spudfarmerboy

Reaction score
Hello All.
I have some top cropped 1469 yeast that I would like to use. I cropped it 7 days ago.
When trying to use Mr Malty to calculate if I need to step it up, I was not sure which choice to use, such as "Repitching From Slurry". I would assume this is the closest choice. Would you then reset the "Yeast Concentration" and "Non Yeast Percentage" settings? If so, what settings would be best.
The top cropped yeast looks thick and creamy and is very clean. It was cropped on the second day of fermentation. The top of the krausen was removed and the thick, creamy yeast underneath was put in sanitised jars and refridgerated.
Cheers

Hello All.
I have some top cropped 1469 yeast that I would like to use. I cropped it 7 days ago.
When trying to use Mr Malty to calculate if I need to step it up, I was not sure which choice to use, such as "Repitching From Slurry". I would assume this is the closest choice. Would you then reset the "Yeast Concentration" and "Non Yeast Percentage" settings? If so, what settings would be best.
The top cropped yeast looks thick and creamy and is very clean. It was cropped on the second day of fermentation. The top of the krausen was removed and the thick, creamy yeast underneath was put in sanitised jars and refridgerated.
Cheers

Quote from discussion on http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic....=26&t=92930
Found by using Google search terms: "top cropping yeast mr malty"

"+1. If the yeast is being pitched within a week, I use Mr malty, but I put my viability at 100%, my non-yeast percentage at zero and my yeast concentration to its thickest. For a decent size IPA this usually calls for around 60ml of yeast. It's weird pitching such a small amount, yet still damn near blowing the lid off your fermenter!

Hello All.

Use the repitching from slurry and set the non yeast percentage to 0 and also use the viability date from when you cropped it..

Yeast concentration I always use compact slurry and my jars have 50ml increments marked on them to make this easier.. assuming it is compacted as you say you have had it in the fridge so would have settled.

Cheers

Use the repitching from slurry and set the non yeast percentage to 0 and also use the viability date from when you cropped it..

Yeast concentration I always use compact slurry
This is what I'd be doing - I'd not assume the viability was 100% if it's been in the jar for a week.

Cheers for the answers lads.
I have been winging it when it comes to using top cropped yeast but thought I may be able to improve things by pitching the correct amount.

Back