Using Cling Wrap Instead Of An Airlock

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do it....

You will NEVER look back !!!

New cling film every time they gunk up.
No suck back when crashing
Puffs up when your yeast is working so easy to tell its good..

Don't pierce it

Just small elastic band

Co2 will escape no problem

I thought they had commercials on the tv years ago telling us that gases can pass through cling wrap but that flavours stay sealed in fresh. :mellow: Based on that information one would assume better hop aroma retention using cling wrap.

Same here Acasta, i screwed the lid down uber hard....now its good as gold, no more acetaldehyde type problems.

Whats everyone's thoughts on cold crashing? should we dose with co2 to flush out any air that has been 'sucked' into the fermenter?

or just relax :)

Do you cling wrap then lid, or just the lid all the way?

Thanks.

Here's a bit of food for thought for effectiveness of airlocks, lids and cling wrap

this was taken from VDK rest 21*C down to 1.5*C

img0093z.jpg

img0094n.jpg

img0092gc.jpg

Tyreman you are a bloody guru. Any danger of you making a competition winning beer but???

That's just a fermenter that you've put too close to the smoker and melted!!

no comp beers coming from this lil brew house...hahaha Brett you bloody ripper!

Is that insulation tape over the airlock hole?

Works fine on my glass carboy - but I can see into that anyway! Just saves a bit of headroom

The thread that won't die!! :)

One of my FVs is a 25L camper barrel. Bunnings seem to have dumped that line for the 30L square one now which is too bad.

Cling-wrap the top with the rubber seal and prick a hole after about 12-24 hours.
For the next 3-5 days (for ales) the pressure inside is greater than the pressure outside, so no wild yeasts or coal dust will get in.
It's nice to lean the snoz over the hole, don't exhale and try not to inhale -- the waft of hop and malt aromas with the CO2 is lovely.
After the krausen dies back either dry-hop and renew the plastic, sans prick, or cello-tape the hole over until done.

One of my FVs is a 25L camper barrel. Bunnings seem to have dumped that line for the 30L square one now which is too bad.

Cling-wrap the top with the rubber seal and prick a hole after about 12-24 hours.
For the next 3-5 days (for ales) the pressure inside is greater than the pressure outside, so no wild yeasts or coal dust will get in.
It's nice to lean the snoz over the hole, don't exhale and try not to inhale -- the waft of hop and malt aromas with the CO2 is lovely.
After the krausen dies back either dry-hop and renew the plastic, sans prick, or cello-tape the hole over until done.

Im honestly not trying to be an asshole, but the reason why this thread "won't die" is because people still keep trying to reinvent a perfectly round wheel.

Either use a lid arrangement or gladwrap.

Just use a sheet of gladwrap over the fermenter, hold it in place with a rubber band, or the fermenter's rubber o ring lid seal, and walk away.
No need to prick holes in it, you can smell the aroma just fine by putting your nose next to your fermenter....well you can with my beers anyway ;)

It's not hard folks, you won't get rabies from not having an airlock, gas will still get out, oxygen is kept out by the co2 blanket blah blah blah...

end of rant.

Here's a bit of food for thought for effectiveness of airlocks, lids and cling wrap

this was taken from VDK rest 21*C down to 1.5*C

img0093z.jpg

img0094n.jpg

img0092gc.jpg
What happens when you crack the tap open?
I am thinking it will take an almighty gulp of air into your beer.

I thought they had commercials on the tv years ago telling us that gases can pass through cling wrap but that flavours stay sealed in fresh. :mellow: Based on that information one would assume better hop aroma retention using cling wrap.

one would assume that if it's out of solution you will not be retaining it with either lid or gladwrap.. its out of solution.. innit :blink:

honestly...

What happens when you crack the tap open?
I am thinking it will take an almighty gulp of air into your beer.

:lol:

I checked for qld anyway, all stores should stock them. If your local does not have them ask them to get them from another store, this should not cost you any difference.

QldKev

one would assume that if it's out of solution you will not be retaining it with either lid or gladwrap.. its out of solution.. innit :blink:

honestly...

:lol:

:unsure: Ummmmm....... you have undoubtedly carried out experimentation on atmospheric saturation levels of hop aroma components, so I won't argue with you on this one Yob.

The whole blanket on top is only good for a very short amount of time... if the air and the co2 are in contact with each other, they will equalize
I thought that undisturbed, the CO2 would settle into a layer above the wort as it is heavier than 'air'?
Angel tits.

Latest posts

Back