Using Cling Wrap Instead Of An Airlock

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty sure that gasses can only form layers if they are liquids, and that 2 or more gasses can occupy the same space?

Thems not angel tits!

CO2 is heavier than air.... and gases aren't liquids. :blink:

If it all equalises, and if gasses can't form layers, then work will be more comfortable for me....I can throw out my BA and not have to bother with troublesome and annoying gas meters when I do confined space entries. :unsure:

For people that are really that concerned about oxidisation....ffs, speak to a nerd. Ask a chemist (a real chemist, not a pharmacist) about the relative solubility of gasses in liquid....

All you need on top of your fermenter is something to stop shit from falling in it, at the most. And anyone that says anything different to that is a complete moron, or an ignoramus of the first order. Ever heard of open fermentation? Stone squares? Where is Bribie and his picture of a stone square fermentation when you need it?

FFS, this hullabaloo about letting air contact the wort just goes around and around and around, and for so many ppl, the sky is falling! I thought this shit was debunked years ago. :rolleyes:

end rant.
:angry:

Well not a strict layer but a blanket. You know what I meant; if undisturbed it will remain there and not mix with the air that much. I'm happy to be corrected though.

Pizza for cat.

Well not a strict layer but a blanket. You know what I meant; if undisturbed it will remain there and not mix with the air that much. I'm happy to be corrected though.

Pizza for cat.

my rant wasn't directed at your post...but rather at those with an opposing viewpoint. Undisturbed, it will indeed sit in a layer/blanket/pocket, whatever you want to call it.

Yep I didn't see your post until after I had posted mine I was responding to Kymba :beer:

Funny, that...so was I. Although such nonsense isn't really worth responding to. We should know better than that, Liam. :ph34r:

Absolutely no problem with glad wrap. Do it. And I use it in any situation. I cover if cold conditioning for weeks, but I do that with normal lids too.
Fear.

[quote name='Mike L'Itorus' post='962162' date='Oct 12 2012, 11:10 PM']I'll only push back if you have the courtesy to give me a reach-around. :p

My priest told me it's not gay if you cry afterwards. :unsure:[/quote]

slipper has alot to answer for , he picked alot of flowers,

ok so my first statement was apparently full of the shit and intended to bait people, and for that i would like to say a big alan jones "sorry"

the intent of my post was to convey what i understood (keep in mind i'm pretty dumb) from the findings of searching of the google, the wikipedia, the american homebrew site and other such credible sources (and, of course AHB) as to the "layers" of the gases and the comfortable blanket that each of them form, in the homebrewing sense - i.e. on the top of a <30L fermenter

and yes H2B, "CO2 is heavier than air", i get that, but don't you die when you fall over / pass out from breathing in the layer of CO2? i assume because it is mixed with nitrogen and oxygen and some other shit...? which is really all i was trying to say

and can a gas be a liquid if it is compressed?

and what is a confined space entry? cocko should be all over that

AS 2865 1995 defines a confined space as follows

6.2 Confined space an enclosed or partially enclosed space which:
(a) is at atmospheric pressure during occupancy;
(b ) is not intended or designed primarily as a place of work;
(c )may have restricted means for entry and exit; and
(d) may -
(i) have an atmosphere which contains potentially harmful levels of contaminant;
(ii) not have a safe oxygen level; or
(iii) cause engulfment.
Confined spaces include but are not limited to -
(A) storage tanks, tank cars, process vessels, boilers, pressure vessels, silos and other tank-like compartments;
(b ) open-topped spaces such as pits or degreasers;
(c )pipes, sewers, shafts, ducts and similar structures; and
(D) any shipboard spaces entered through a small hatchway or access point, cargo tanks, cellular double bottom
tanks, duct keels, ballast and oil tanks, and void spaces, but not including dry cargo holds.

Unconciousness and death do not occur immediately; STEL of >20% won't necessarily cause unconciousness in a healthy individual, although long term health repercussions can occur. At levels <7.5%, the main issue is not CO2 poisoning in and of itself, but a combination of hypoxia and co2 poisoning, given that the hypoxia results in absorption of co2 from the lung and ito the blood stream....easy examples are given on the canadian governments OHS site...link....

Although this has gone off topic far enough for me, and now I'll leave it alone, other than to be pedantic and answering the following question, and correcting the statement that lead to the question:
and can a gas be a liquid if it is compressed?

Pretty sure that gasses can only form layers if they are liquids, and that 2 or more gasses can occupy the same space?

A gas can never be a liquid. A gas is a gas. Under conditions of compression/temperature, it can become a liquid. At which time it ceases to be a gas.

edit to correct stupid website from changing sub paragraph letters into emoticons.

And yet, lying on the floor of my bedroom does not cause me to pass out, nor would it if my bedroom was an enclosed space (and i have an enclosed space ticket so dont get all ranty at me) not even if someone sealed it up and left it undisturbed for ten damn years. The Co2 doesn't settle it mixes - for it to be at the bottom, it has to have started there and not had a chance to mix yet

Co2 blankets are temporary - eventually the gases mix up, slowly or quickly depending on the circumstances, but eventually. If anything is moving about (ie keg, fermenter or bottle filling) then your dreaming if you think there is some sort of protective layering going on. If your technique is great and you are patient, maybe you'll improve things a bit... but I'm yet to see a home brewer apply a "CO2 blanket" in a manner that would actually work in any significant way.

Dont get me wrong - I use cling film instead of an airlock and I think its fine. But would i do that if I was putting a beer aside to bulk age (warm or cold)? No way, it would absolutely get shitloads more oxygen exposure than if it were properly sealed.

Pick your technique for whatever reasons you want - but unless a beer is actually giving off CO2, its CO2 blanket is going to degrade and the beer is going to be oxposed to oxygen from the atmosphere. The better the barrier between the beer and the atmosphere, the more slowly that will happen - so take that into account.

Back