Using Cling Wrap Instead Of An Airlock

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael_aussie

Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere that some people don't use the lid of their brewing container. They remove the lid and put cling wrap (glad wrap) over the container and hold it in place with the seal from under the lid.
Has anyone done this?
Any tips or suggestions?

I remember reading somewhere that some people don't use the lid of their brewing container. They remove the lid and put cling wrap (glad wrap) over the container and hold it in place with the seal from under the lid.
Has anyone done this?
Any tips or suggestions?

Do it all the time - Have done for years ... no more cleaning fiddling things
brilliant just use rubber band you wont go back
Also makes the whole fermenter a bit smaller (for fitting in fridge etc)

I only use cling wrap these days. I have some commercial grade stuff that is a little thicker than your average wrap, which is better.

My only problems with them is doming as the brew ferments (pricking it with a sewing needle helps avoid this) and gushing krausen due to a lack of headspace. Its also good to be able to see whats going on in a brew. Give it a try.

CLING WRAP.....CLING WRAP......CLING WRAP......!!!

Do it....its great. Once you wrap you wont go back!!

Rendo

bloodsportvan1.jpg

Has anyone done this?
Any tips or suggestions?

There's pros & cons for either. I made the mistake of not sanitising a lid a couple of times because I was planning on using cling wrap, I regretted it when I wanted to give my fermenter a good shake for aeration prior to pitching. The cling wrap is a great way to be able to see what's happening in yr fermenter if you feel the need. I've got 2 fermenters in the bath which is right next to our bedroom. SWMBO & I have both slept better since I cling wrapped those. The 60L in the ferment fridge has a lid & airlock because of the condensation dropping from what used to be a freezer but is now an acceptable beer fridge. I'd say try both & either use whichever you prefer or use both depending on circumstances. I wouldn't say that either option is better than the other.

Edit: The current score in this thread looks like it's 4.5 cling wrap & 0.5 lid & airlock so it's probably worth giving it a shot.

I just switched to using glad wrap mid-brew because I was getting sick of not being able to get an air tight seal, and if I did it up too tight I would have to get someone to give me a hand opening it :|

Bulging isn't a problem since the co2 will leak out around the seal, its not completely air tight under pressure. And being able to see whats going on inside is a big plus when you're using an opaque fermenter. The lid is still handy for aerating though as Hatchy said.

Has anyone done this?
Any tips or suggestions?
Yes quite a number of people here do.
Yes, use the search function and you'll find several threads with details/pictures and commentary about the pro's and con's of both methods.

Link to pic, more details below that post, also plenty of other threads discuss it, so searching is your friend for more details.

Airlock
Pros : Easy, disposable, vision of brew, easier to move fermenter, Less to sanatise, takes up less space, cheap
Cons: disposable, more fragile, easier access for inquisitive children,

Airlock
Pros: Blooooop Blooooop Bloooooop (meaning you get an audible gauge of fermentation)
Cons: Opposite of cling wrap pros.

Any issues with cling wrap and Light-strike? Does anyone take any extra precautions.

Any issues with cling wrap and Light-strike? Does anyone take any extra precautions.
No. How can light penetrate into the fermenting fridge?

No extra precautions necessary, unless you are leaving your fermenter in the sun that is...

I asked the same thing in a similar thread recently. Wolfy pointed out that if it's not a problem with a lid then it won't be a problem with glad wrap.

Hi Michael,

some good pros and cons below this post.

I personally have never used a lid and airlock, I started on glad wrap from brew one. I am very sure I haven't missed anything.

Mine is in a dull garage, and in a large cool bag with frozen bottles and a big packing blanket wrapped around/over it. so no need for precautions here.

Edit: +1 for glad wrap.

I just switched to using glad wrap mid-brew because I was getting sick of not being able to get an air tight seal,

+1 to that, though I think I will just start with the next brew

Q: are the dangers of the lid not being a 'complete' seal severe? Im sure nothings crawling in there... just means the CO2 is getting out somewhere else yeah?

I just switched to using glad wrap mid-brew because I was getting sick of not being able to get an air tight seal, and if I did it up too tight I would have to get someone to give me a hand opening it :|

Bulging isn't a problem since the co2 will leak out around the seal, its not completely air tight under pressure. And being able to see whats going on inside is a big plus when you're using an opaque fermenter. The lid is still handy for aerating though as Hatchy said.

Hi guys (I think you're all guys??),
thank you very much for your input.
Lots of great pointers here.

It's great to have immediate access to other avid brewers.

Yes, I should have searched, sorry about that. bloody newbies.

I too have had problems getting an air seal, or when I do, removing the lid.
I'm looking forward to the better view.
If I "use" the extra head room to fill the "primary fridge" I won't be able to see in..... hmmmm.

I will miss the reassuring plop-plop. Not sure how I'll cope with this.

The lid is still handy for aerating though as Hatchy said.
aerating?? ...
What am I missing here?
I thought air was my emeny.
I have been careful when bottling to ensure I don't get aeration.

As Pauline Hanson would say ... please explain.

Prior to commencing fermentation and in the very early stages, yeast work aerobically. As fermentation gears up they enter an anerobic phase. During the early stage, as long as the brew is cool, it benefits from oxygen. Once you see any krausen developing you want to avoid this. This includes finished beer.

+1 to that, though I think I will just start with the next brew

Q: are the dangers of the lid not being a 'complete' seal severe? Im sure nothings crawling in there... just means the CO2 is getting out somewhere else yeah?

Right there's no dangers, it's just a personal thing. If the lid isn't fitting tight enough to force the co2 out of the airlock then its completely pointless even having it there.. at least that was my thinking.

aerating?? ...
What am I missing here?
I thought air was my emeny.
I have been careful when bottling to ensure I don't get aeration.

As Pauline Hanson would say ... please explain.

There is a difference between aeration and oxidisation, when most brewers talk about aeration they mean adding enough dissolved oxygen (theres a variety of means, have a search) into the cooled wort just before pitching (at pitching temps), as yeast need some oxygen to reproduce properly. Oxidisation while the wort is hot (during the boil) or after fermentation is done (at bottling) is usually considered to be bad though.

edit: too fast for me manticle :p

Back