Using A Nasa Burner To Boil 50 Ltrs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchjazz

Reaction score
Hey guys,

i currently have a 4 ring and thinking of upgrading to a nasa. Im wondering if anyone can tell me how long does it take to reach boil with a nasa with 50lts? I also will crank up the heat as soon as i strart the sparge.

Hey guys,

i currently have a 4 ring and thinking of upgrading to a nasa. Im wondering if anyone can tell me how long does it take to reach boil with a nasa with 50lts? I also will crank up the heat as soon as i strart the sparge.

Not directly answering your question, but get the med adj reg that most run the nasa on and put it on your 4 ring. You will get heaps more heat out of it, and it will be soo much quieter than the Nasa. Later if you don't like it, get a Nasa and you already have the reg. Also if you want on the 4 ring burner drill out the outlet holes a bit, this will help prevent the flames getting blown out when you crank the burner up.

QldKev

I can only speak for 35 litres. My Nasa gets the warm wort from the tun boiling in 15 mins. Havent tried it from cold tap water
Eddy

Not directly answering your question, but get the med adj reg that most run the nasa on and put it on your 4 ring. You will get heaps more heat out of it, and it will be soo much quieter than the Nasa. Later if you don't like it, get a Nasa and you already have the reg. Also if you want on the 4 ring burner drill out the outlet holes a bit, this will help prevent the flames getting blown out when you crank the burner up.

QldKev

Kev,

Sorry mate but what is a med adjustable reg?? And where can i get one??

I would buy the high pressure adjustable reg. You can turn it down, but have the grunt if needed.
I got mine from Grain and Grape.

If I light the nasa as I sparge I have to keep it on low or the wort will be boiling before I finish.
If I don't light it first, I can get 56 litres boiling from 75 degrees or so in about 10 to 15 minutes.

bud

Kev,

Sorry mate but what is a med adjustable reg?? And where can i get one??

I would buy the high pressure adjustable reg. You can turn it down, but have the grunt if needed.
I got mine from Grain and Grape.

If I light the nasa as I sparge I have to keep it on low or the wort will be boiling before I finish.
If I don't light it first, I can get 56 litres boiling from 75 degrees or so in about 10 to 15 minutes.

bud

The Grain and Grape High pressure is 0-206 kPa
http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/product_in...roducts_id=6979

The one I know as the medium pressure adjustable reg is from auscrown LF103 0-207kPa
http://www.auscrown.com/regulatorhoses.php

The same pressure.

Also using my modified 3-Ring burner with the Auscrown reg I can get 29L from 22c to 69c in about 15mins

QldKev

Where can you get a NASA burner from in Aus? I got a spiral burner because I didn't think anywhere was selling NASAs at the moment.

Hey guys,

Excuse my ignorance,but s a NASA the same as a Mongolian/Banjo? My 23 jet Mongolian gets 45L of 17/18c water up to boil in 40 minutes :beer:

Excuse my ignorance,but s a NASA the same as a Mongolian/Banjo? My 23 jet Mongolian gets 45L of 17/18c water up to boil in 40 minutes :beer:

Nope NASA is nothing like a Mongolian. Out of interest my second burner is a 23 jet Mongolian, which I run on the adjustable 0-207kPa reg for extra heat :)

QldKev

Nope NASA is nothing like a Mongolian. Out of interest my second burner is a 23 jet Mongolian, which I run on the adjustable 0-207kPa reg for extra heat :)

QldKev
thanks Kev,much appreciated :icon_cheers: I wasn't quite sure.Is that an adjustable welding regulator?

thanks Kev,much appreciated :icon_cheers: I wasn't quite sure.Is that an adjustable welding regulator?

Nope, different fittings. The reg is only <$30 so I would not mess with them, not worth blowing yourself up.

QldKev

Where can you get a NASA burner from in Aus? I got a spiral burner because I didn't think anywhere was selling NASAs at the moment.

Hatchy, I did the same mate. Had to get a spiral instead due to not being able to find a nasa. Glad I did though, heaps quiet. I've heard Nasa's will wake the neighbours!!!

Yeah, I'm stoked with my spiral. Probably my favourite piece of brewing equipment. The 3 ring does OK for the HLT as well.

beerbelly have nasa's thats where i got mine..

Oh, they didn't when I got my spiral. Wayne was saying that he couldn't get hands on any. I'm happy with my spiral although I would've liked to have saved $50.

So happy with my spiral burner. Kicks arse when you crank it! takes about 25 - 30 min to heat 70 L from aprox 50 Deg to Boiling. looks pretty crazy too, check out my You Tube Link.

Back