Using 8g CO2 soda bulbs in your Tap King

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you force carb using this method? Hell yeah!

When I sober up I'll post up some photos of how it's done.

For now, in short;

-Fill TK bottle from FV.
-Attach modified TK lid with 1x 8g bulb fitted.
-Fit to TK unit and engage.
-Turn bottle upside down and burp out air using the tap.
-Cool down in the fridge.
-Shake the shit out of it until the co2 gets low.
-Slowly release the TK unit from the bottle.
-Swap out the co2 bulb.
-Shake the shit out of the bottle.
-Pour a beer and enjoy.

Shortly after the first pour the 2nd co2 bulb will run out. Swap it out with a new one and your good to go with the rest of the bottle.

It worked for me first go.

Beerisyummy said:
Can you force carb using this method? Hell yeah!

When I sober up I'll post up some photos of how it's done.

For now, in short;

-Fill TK bottle from FV.
-Attach modified TK lid with 1x 8g bulb fitted.
-Fit to TK unit and engage.
-Turn bottle upside down and burp out air using the tap.
-Cool down in the fridge.
-Shake the shit out of it until the co2 gets low.
-Slowly release the TK unit from the bottle.
-Swap out the co2 bulb.
-Shake the shit out of the bottle.
-Pour a beer and enjoy.

Shortly after the first pour the 2nd co2 bulb will run out. Swap it out with a new one and your good to go with the rest of the bottle.

It worked for me first go.
Thats gold! Thanks for that, I'll give that one a try

Turns out I'm partially sober now! Pics as promised.

PA064391.JPG
This is a shot of what happens to the little o ring on the yellow plastic part when you release the bottle with some Co2 left.
The two o rings shown started out the same size. If you leave them they go back to normal in an hour or so.

PA064392.JPG
A quick shot of the modified collar after several uses. I can see the coins need to go and a good measurement for the spacer needs to be found.

PA064394.JPG
Yeah! That is force carbed beer.
That was a 12 day old lager that had been poured straight from the FV with no cold crashing, finings or filtering. It did not get time to settle out either. Some planning here could easily solve the issues with beer clarity.

PA064396.JPG
I'd say that looks to be a nicely carbed beer for ten minutes of my time and a few 90c cartridges.

Enjoy!

I'm just getting my TK sorted out and have a few questions:

- With the 8g mod, has anyone come up with an alternative option for the extra white washer or black o-ring that is required? I.e. something from around the home that will do the job, or from bunnings etc.

- To adjust the regulator while a bottle is loaded, do you need to drill a hole in the top cover? Or can you remove the screws after loading to access the reg.? (For some reason I optimistically tried to mount a bottle without the top cover on. The bulb didn't pierce properly and I lost all my CO2.)

And finally;
- If I decide to revert back to using a 12g bulb for some reason, would the cut chamfer be a problem with the stock TK configuration? Or should everything still work after making the chamfers...?

I'm going to bump this (again) since email alerts seem to be working again.

I'm just getting my TK sorted out and have a few questions:

- With the 8g mod, has anyone come up with an alternative option for the extra white washer or black o-ring that is required? I.e. something from around the home that will do the job, or from bunnings etc.

- To adjust the regulator while a bottle is loaded, do you need to drill a hole in the top cover? Or can you remove the screws after loading to access the reg.? (For some reason I optimistically tried to mount a bottle without the top cover on. The bulb didn't pierce properly and I lost all my CO2.)

And finally;
- If I decide to revert back to using a 12g bulb for some reason, would the cut chamfer be a problem with the stock TK configuration? Or should everything still work after making the chamfers...?
Hi Nala,

-The extra white washer is on my to do list. No quick fix just yet.

-I used my rig without the top cover for some time but have since drilled a hole in the top of it. I now just turn a DIY knob to adjust the serving/carbonating pressure.

-As far as I can tell the chamfer should not have an effect on the use of a the 12g cylinder at a later date.

I'm several TK bottles into this experiment and have to say it works well for what it is. My corny kegs shit all over it but I'm still impressed.

Thanks for the answers! Bottling next week, can't wait to have some on tap. Kegging will come one day...

G'day Gents,

been watching this thread keenly and doing some of my own experiments... I've found the 8g bulbs can vary considerably; there's a good few mm's difference in height between Mosa and Leland 8g CO2 bulbs (a good 10cents if you're using coins).

To check if the 8g bulb would fully evacuate a 3.2litre keg, I filled a keg with freshly made soda water (highly gassed) and then ran the lot down the sink... it will empty it, but only just. This would likely result in a glass or two being left in a keg if you didn't drink it all in the one or, maybe, two sessions.

I'm also keen on the idea of using N2 (nitrogen) to push out some stouts and porters; I like my beers with less fizz, even when the style does not.

Someone, sorry can't remember who, posed the idea of modifying the bulb retainer so that bulbs can be slid in and out of the assembled lids without the need of disassembly. I like this idea very much; it opens up the possibility to force carbonate, top-up pour pressure if the bulb is empty, and to mix gasses (for stout etc). It also means that pressure from natural carbonation is less likely to be lost when you stuff up, or get, the bulb height wrong; no need to take the lid off the bottle, just separate the tap mechanism and swap in a new bulb... replace the tap and you're ready to go. We just need a satisfactory method to clean/sanitise the fully assembled lids between uses. I think some metal safe sanitiser and a blast/jet of CO2 would do the job of cleaning the two internal valves.

Someone, sorry again I forget who, mentioned that Mosa 12g bulbs fit without modification. Has anyone else confirmed if these fit or not?
I've contacted Mosa for data sheets and availability.
I've also asked Mosa Taiwan about minimum orders etc; because no-one I can find stock 12g or 8g N2 bulbs for retail in Australia.
Is anyone else interested in establishing a supply line or placing a group order for modification free 12g CO2 and N2 bulbs?

Mate I've dispensed a couple of the bottles with 8g cartridges. Works fine. Poured perfect and still had plenty of gas left in the bottle.
Because your not factoring in the carbonation in the beer helping you out as well.
On the 12g cartridges maybe ask in the main thread not the one dedicated to the use of 8g ones

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Barls, how long did you leave the tapped keg sitting around?

I have some Leland ones I'm trying to work out. AzzA, how many 5c pieces did you use for the Leland ones?

Bottled it a month before and bulk primed it to 2.3 volumes of co2. Then tapped and finished in one day.

I'm using the ones from essential ingredient which look the same as the woollies ones. They have the isi Austria logo on them
Work fine for me and I'm using 8 5 cent pieces and a thin piece of silicon baking tray

G'day Gents,

been watching this thread keenly and doing some of my own experiments... I've found the 8g bulbs can vary considerably; there's a good few mm's difference in height between Mosa and Leland 8g CO2 bulbs (a good 10cents if you're using coins).

To check if the 8g bulb would fully evacuate a 3.2litre keg, I filled a keg with freshly made soda water (highly gassed) and then ran the lot down the sink... it will empty it, but only just. This would likely result in a glass or two being left in a keg if you didn't drink it all in the one or, maybe, two sessions.

I'm also keen on the idea of using N2 (nitrogen) to push out some stouts and porters; I like my beers with less fizz, even when the style does not.

Someone, sorry can't remember who, posed the idea of modifying the bulb retainer so that bulbs can be slid in and out of the assembled lids without the need of disassembly. I like this idea very much; it opens up the possibility to force carbonate, top-up pour pressure if the bulb is empty, and to mix gasses (for stout etc). It also means that pressure from natural carbonation is less likely to be lost when you stuff up, or get, the bulb height wrong; no need to take the lid off the bottle, just separate the tap mechanism and swap in a new bulb... replace the tap and you're ready to go. We just need a satisfactory method to clean/sanitise the fully assembled lids between uses. I think some metal safe sanitiser and a blast/jet of CO2 would do the job of cleaning the two internal valves.

Someone, sorry again I forget who, mentioned that Mosa 12g bulbs fit without modification. Has anyone else confirmed if these fit or not?
I've also asked Mosa Taiwan about minimum orders etc; because no-one I can find stock 12g or 8g N2 bulbs for retail in Australia.
Is anyone else interested in establishing a supply line or placing a group order for modification free 12g CO2 and N2 bulbs?
Thanks for sharing your findings on the different sizes of 8g bulbs. All the ones I've seen have been identical so it's good to know.

I'm not sure about the exact science in regards to the gassing of water and beer. I'm still learning the basics of kegging.
All I can say is that beer and water are two very different liquids. Try your experiments with beer.

It was me that modified the retainer. In my eyes it is a must for anyone using the bulbs instead of an external regulator.
All of my TK bottle tops have the retainers removed.

I'm several TK bottles into things and still find the 8g cartridges will dispense a whole bottle if it's correctly carbed.

Nitrogen is not very soluble in liquids so you need a shirtload of pressure to pour. From memory it's around 35 PSI pouring pressure. I can't remember if this is for pure N2 or the N2/CO2 mix that bars use. If you find a way I'd love to know how you go.
You can buy 8g N2 cartridges at most hospitality stores.

Mate I've dispensed a couple of the bottles with 8g cartridges. Works fine. Poured perfect and still had plenty of gas left in the bottle.
Because your not factoring in the carbonation in the beer helping you out as well.
On the 12g cartridges maybe ask in the main thread not the one dedicated to the use of 8g ones

Be nice mate. :) I want them to work out how to use N2 cartridges.

I found cutting off the barbed end off a 19mm irrigation fitting (such as an elbow or t-piece) to the right length works well as a spacer, and the 8g CO2 cartridges fit perfectly into the 19mm black irrigation pipe, which makes them fit snuggly into the TK receptacle. I used this for my bike-pump carbonator, where the size was even more critical:

attachicon.gif
DSCN0520.JPG.JPG
Freakin awesome! Love your work mate.

Bottled it a month before and bulk primed it to 2.3 volumes of co2. Then tapped and finished in one day.

Shame on you. I've done that twice with my 70% wheat beer. I just had a keg go dry half way through filling a bottle today.

I'm using the ones from essential ingredient which look the same as the woollies ones. They have the isi Austria logo on them
Work fine for me and I'm using 8 5 cent pieces and a thin piece of silicon baking tray

Could you give us some pics and instructions on the silicone baking tray washer?

Cut out the same size as a 5 cent piece. In between the last two coins as a buffer. It brought it up to the right height but still gave flex in the stack.
It's one of the cheap trays from a discount store.
As for the coins it's 7 now I go back and count not 8

Ahhh.

I thought you'd made a replacement washer for the little white ones that go between the bulb and the yellow collar.

Definitely like the idea though.

Thought about but couldn't get it small and neat enough. Need a set of wad punches

AzzA68 said:
G'day Gents,
....../ Someone, sorry can't remember who, posed the idea of modifying the bulb retainer so that bulbs can be slid in and out of the assembled lids without the need of disassembly. I like this idea very much; it opens up the possibility to force carbonate, top-up pour pressure if the bulb is empty, and to mix gasses (for stout etc). It also means that pressure from natural carbonation is less likely to be lost when you stuff up, or get, the bulb height wrong; no need to take the lid off the bottle, just separate the tap mechanism and swap in a new bulb... replace the tap and you're ready to go. We just need a satisfactory method to clean/sanitise the fully assembled lids between uses. I think some metal safe sanitiser and a blast/jet of CO2 would do the job of cleaning the two internal valves.

Hi All, Long time lurker here...

I've been 're-charging' my TK with home-brew since I bought it a few months ago, with help from the info from the origional TK thread here.

I've 're-packed' around 60 TK bottles, all with the Ezy-Chargers 12g MOSA bulbs, & can confirm that they are identical in size & fitment.

I'm interested in the 8g bulbs due to thier lower cost & better availability, but will stick with the 12g's for now (at least untill I run out of them...) I'm sure I contributed to EzyCharger's lack of stock of the 12g bulbs :unsure:

Azza68 brings up a good point regarding Beerisyummy's bulb retainer mod. It's a great idea, & it needs to be pursued further in regards to the cleaning aspect. I think I'm going to convert 8 (1 'batch') of my TK's with the retainer mod. I love my HB, but christ it takes a lot of time dissassembling, cleaning, & re-assembling the TK bottle heads for re-use. The last two times I've done 16 at once - took me about 2 & a half hours from go to woah.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Cheers. :beer:

- edit -

TK anyone.....
i9ir.jpg

I've been giving the cleaning of assemble lids a thought... while I was Dremel'ing the retainers off of 6 lids... committed now.

If you were to fill the fresh empty "keglet" with cleaning solution (like sodium percarbonate) and then invert the bottle and gently squeeze the sides (to make a bit of pressure but not enough to damage/distort the bottle) then, using a small blunt tool, push the valves open to allow the chambers to flush with fluid. Let the whole lot sit for a few hours and then drain, rinse well, and refill with fresh water or non-corrosive sanitising mix. Then flush the chambers again by opening the valves. Job done.

Overall, it's much like cleaning lines in a pub... but on a micro-scale.

Let the whole lot dry until ready for use. Then sanitise the outside of the assembly... fill bottle... prime bottle (or bulk prime)... cap it... wait... wait... wait... wait for the fizz and the maturation... chill for 9 hours... add CO2 bulb... connect dispenser... enjoy HB on tap... go off tap. ;)

FmC.
Love your work mate.

Now I haven't left any of my TK bottles for long term storage but, I have done a few pretty basic cleans without disassembly of the lids.

Treat em like a keg boys! Was it infected?

I've been flushing mine with water and giving them a starsan rinse if they aren't getting filled up straight away. It seems to work well.

Latest posts

Back