Users Of The "no Chiller Method"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what sort of hoses are you guys using for transporting hot liquid. I found a jiggler syphon today but for some reason i think it would melt so didnt buy it.

cheers kingy

Kingy the silicon hose Ross sells is just the stuff. It's thicker walled than the stuff from Grain and Grape (I have both). It still gets too hot to hold for very long when the wort travels through it, but man it's tough.

I too have been using this method for about the last 6 months.

Does anyone have any thoughts about constantly reusing the same cubes? Is it possible after multiple uses of a cube the plastic may start leeching? Or be affected in some other way from the heat.

cheers
johnno

if i fitted a tap to an aluminium boiler is it just as simple as drilling and then fitting a steel tap with rubber washes. How high up the boiler should i fit the tap or how many litres should i try to leave in the boiler.

im really keen to no chill bcoz i waste enough water allready.

edit: delete silly question

What have you got on the end of the ball valve?
I use a plastic hose connector on the end of mine,
like these
G901_1.jpg

then just shove one of these on to my clear hose
G915_1.jpg

snap on, snap off,
easy as, and cheap to replace every so often.
Ive also seen people use brass ones the same, which I may upgrade to soon.
Would love to find something in SS.
The hose I use looks like this except its clear, not pink!
4abfb81f-4e7a-4b6d-814c-b65b70212831.jpg

Found it in Bunnings, not the gardening section though.

Punter
I have the brass hose connector, but can you just use some of Ross' silicon hose straight on to the connector?
Silicon hose (ID 1/2") , would that fit over the end?
Eric

Eric8, I'm not sure that it will. I think the end of the connector is a little bit larger
than your hose. Maybe try putting it in hot water and squeezing it over the end.
If not that reinforced tubing is only $2 or $3 per metre, and slides straight into the
hose connector tail.

Punter I just measured it and I think you would be right, the connector is a bit larger. Of to the hardware store I go again. Lucky most of the stuff I get from there I can put down for tax purposes :p

I too have been using this method for about the last 6 months.

Does anyone have any thoughts about constantly reusing the same cubes? Is it possible after multiple uses of a cube the plastic may start leeching? Or be affected in some other way from the heat.

cheers
johnno

Yeah I have wondered about this too...but maybe the higher density plastic would be OK?? :blink:
Is there an chemistry dude out there who can enlighten us on this? :unsure:
I read something a while back about re-using the plastic water bottles (like Mt Franklin), by washing in hot water etc you begin to break down the compounds and various chemicals leach into the water you are drinking. Can't remember what they were now, but man they sounded real ugly. Gotta wonder with this sort of thing.
Cheers.

Punter
I have the brass hose connector, but can you just use some of Ross' silicon hose straight on to the connector?
Silicon hose (ID 1/2") , would that fit over the end?
Eric

eric, I use the fitting top LH corner
hosenetabrass2.jpg

The '19mm' one screws directly onto my ball valves and although they get hot, they won't come off. The 1/2" silicon hose fits right into the end of them, if you're worried you can use hose clamps as well, but I used them the first couple of times without, just check them first to make sure they're screwed on properly.

Yeah I have wondered about this too...but maybe the higher density plastic would be OK?? :blink:
Is there an chemistry dude out there who can enlighten us on this? :unsure:
I read something a while back about re-using the plastic water bottles (like Mt Franklin), by washing in hot water etc you begin to break down the compounds and various chemicals leach into the water you are drinking. Can't remember what they were now, but man they sounded real ugly. Gotta wonder with this sort of thing.
Cheers.

We went thru this at some length a few months ago. The upshot was: Food grade HDPE is stable at well over 100C and uses citric acid as a plasticiser. So unless your wort is about 130C when it hits the cube you'll be alright so long as you have food grade HDPE. Even if your wort is over 130, you'll just get a malformed cube and some food additive in your beer. To know if your cube has leached plasticisers, a quick test suggestion (not confirmed) was that if the cube returns to its normal shape after emptying, it has not gone plastic, so you've leached nothing into the wort. So far, my cubes (sourced from ESB, NNL and some direct from Cospak) are all looking the right shape, although the ones I've used a lot are changing colour a bit either from dark wort or repeated rinsing with iodine.

The key to this is to use FOOD GRADE cubes only, give effort 110% to your cube sanitation and pack the wort HOT.

As for hose barbs, I have these screwed into the SS ball valves on my kettle and HLT (and one spare for the MLT when I get around to it):
SSHOSENIPPLES1.jpg

Hi, I was asked about this on the air and have been curious about it for some time. First I had to express the botulism concern as it would be neglent not to. I looked into it. At a pH of 5.2 you are pretty safe. How ever if you are at a pH of 5.8 there is a slight risk. Now since we clean these cubes there should be no spores but I can't find any evidence that botulism is killed by hops. It is however inhibited by O2 but i don't think you want to add O2 at 100C! Then I started thinking of other problems. Most wort spoilage bacteria would be killed by the heat, Yeast would be killed by the heat. It makes me wonder how you end up with bloated cubes? Has anyone tasted beer from the bloated cubes? What does it taste like?

Colin Kaminski
Masterbrewer
Downtown Joes
Napa, CA - USA

Hey Colin,

Great to have your here :beerbang: I remember you talking about this on TBN and its good to see your following it up.

I have nothing to add except welcome to AHB.

Cheers
Jye

It'd have to be some kind of wild yeast spore what wasn't exposed to the heat some how or may have been sucked in when the cube contracts due to work shrinkage - I'd imagine (just guessing though)

Interesting question none the less

No infections here to date - though the most I've left a wort in a cube has been 3 days

Cheers

Welcome Colin,

I've only had one cube swell up. When I loosened the lid to release the pressure, my kitchen was filled with one of the foulest smells I have ever had the mis-pleasure of smelling. No way in hell I was going to taste that.

I would be very surprised if someone was brave enough to ferment something like I had and then drink it. (Then again, maybe not that surprised...)

Cheers,
Thommo.

MY one swollen cube, which was from me taking a hydro reading and then putting the lid back on and leaving it for a few days. smelt TERRIBLE... of course it may have been the copious amount of late hop additions but I wasn't going to chance it. Cube and wort thrown out.

Latest posts

Back