Used grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tend to throw it in the compost bin. Breaks down nicely with all the other veg matter.

Gigantorus said:
Tend to throw it in the compost bin. Breaks down nicely with all the other veg matter.
Stinks like hell just mixed with veg matter, you need loads of carbon rich with it to work well. I have a couple green bins full steaming away at the moment.

Markbeer said:
Berley for fishing is an option.
[SIZE=11pt]Have you tried that Mark? I tried freezing a few kilos and used it off Sandon point a couple times. I did catch a few Bream but no more than without the berley so wasn’t convinced. I’m a shit fisherman though so probably didn’t do it right. [/SIZE]

I made the mistake of throwing it into the wheely bin days before collection. Went to put in the last kitchen rubbish bin worth before pick up day, and it smelt something akin to bigfoot's dick/a used nappy full of curry takeaway/a turd covered in burnt hair.
Gagging to be truthful.

All The grain and slops from our brewery go to the local ag school.
They return a suckling pig every now and then as back pay.

I've seen people post recipes for bread, biscuits, etc where they've taken up the grain, ground it again, and incorporated in a normal baking method.

Gotta watch those skins though, you'd want to grind them up fine.

Otherwise, chooks tend to love it, the dogs love what I drop, a mate here in Toowoomba gives it to his dad's lambs (that taste pretty good). i think for most animals/compost systems, so long as they're not only eating spent grain all the time, then it's probably ok for most things.

Normally I give it to a mate for his chooks but if you ever want to move it put a notice on your local facebook town notice board and it should be gone quickly, I did that before I knew said mate.

Hi Sean

Yes I use it mixed with tuna oil. It worked. Smash some Pillies in too so that its all nice and fishy.

10kg mixed with 4 tins Pilchard cat food is the cheapest Berley can get.

I target salmon, kings, tailor but the fish aren't in the numbers like when I was a kid. 4 in 5 sessions are fishless.

Mark

S.E said:
Have you tried that Mark? I tried freezing a few kilos and used it off Sandon point a couple times. I did catch a few Bream but no more than without the berley so wasn’t convinced. I’m a shit fisherman though so probably didn’t do it right.

I took a pail full of spent grain with my fisherman father in law a few years ago a we caught a few fish, and when he was cleaning them we found some spent grain in there guts. He said hed use it everytime except he goes fishing Saturdays and Sunday mornings and I brew Sunday mornings and I'm not storing that rank grain for a week anywhere near my brewery lol. My chickens do love it to. A full handy pail full for 4 chickens and they devour it. The rest goes into the compost.

At the moment I just dump it up in the backyard somewhere and the turkeys that live here seem to eat it reasonably quickly, or at least spread it around all over the ground so it doesn't end up stinking. SWMBO wants a dog at some stage so I imagine some of it will get used for making dog biscuits then.

All of ours from work goes to a cattle farmer. At home I just wing it in the compost and use it down the track for my hops and veggies.

If you don't have livestock or a compost bin I would throw it in your green bin (garden waste). The garbos would probably tell you not to but at the end of the day your better of having them compost it than throwing it in landfill.

Markbeer said:
Hi Sean

Yes I use it mixed with tuna oil. It worked. Smash some Pillies in too so that its all nice and fishy.

10kg mixed with 4 tins Pilchard cat food is the cheapest Berley can get.

I target salmon, kings, tailor but the fish aren't in the numbers like when I was a kid. 4 in 5 sessions are fishless.

Mark
I hadn’t thought about mixing it with fishy stuff that sounds the business. Do you freeze yours or use it fresh?

What I did was freeze it in blocks. I tied a length of string to a short stick and froze it with the stick in the middle of the block so I could use the string to anchor it and it didn’t float off as it defrosted in the water.

I save a few takeaway containers full and freeze them, throw one in for the chooks from time to time, especially on really hot days. They get all excited just like brew day when they get a big pile dumped in for them. Usually leave it for a day or so ( they spread it around pretty well so it doesn't get too stinky) then scoop it up into the compost.
Need to find a farmer who has some pigs though,that would be sweet.

i use 4 cups of it to make dog biscuits and the rest goes to the neighbors chickens... i give her grain she gives me eggs! :D

simplefisherman said:
I save a few takeaway containers full and freeze them, throw one in for the chooks from time to time, especially on really hot days. They get all excited just like brew day when they get a big pile dumped in for them. Usually leave it for a day or so ( they spread it around pretty well so it doesn't get too stinky) then scoop it up into the compost.
Need to find a farmer who has some pigs though,that would be sweet.
You will be amazed by how quick some horse/chook/pig nut will pick the stuff up after posting it on your local facebook site. Pig farmers might have side benefits though.

Dae Tripper said:
You will be amazed by how quick some horse/chook/pig nut will pick the stuff up after posting it on your local facebook site. Pig farmers might have side benefits though.
I'm guessing the Pig farmers would only want Halal free grain.

There is a video of Paul Hollywood using spent grain where he made a loaf of bread and got a double handful of spent grain and encased the bread with it before baking.
Great fo berley, if you like catching carp, use the spent grain as feed and sweet corn or boiled wheat on the hook, all seeds are good but the best is Hemp seed, (low THC) full of the good oils fish are after.
On the garden the worms will be after that sugar, the reason dogs like it is the energy they get out of it, always put a bit of wort in a bowl for the dog.

Latest posts

Back