Usa Brewer Trying No-chill Method

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mate, we're paying $1.40 per LITRE (we call it Petrol), so sympathy for you is hard to find :)

I'll rather pay $1:40 and live in Australia.

On the of topic subject of Walmart.
I think BIG brother China is still making things rather cheap here in Australia. t
Though I hear there is change in the wind as China is getting wealthier.

Back to the original issued of no chilling.

The taste of a no chilled beer before the brak is totally settled is not nice and remind me of cabbage but no smell.
The flavour is sweet with bitter note, depending on the recipe of beer of course.
It doesn't taste any thing like the wort prior to boil and it is some thing that dissipates later

LOL. I originally read your first post as saying it had skyrocketed ~to~ $1/gal. I suppose I should have realised it's not ever that cheap. We largely experience price ratcheting. ie, price goes up when Singapore prices rise, but doesn't drop when Singapore does.

Matti, do you whirlpool and let the wort settle before racking to your cube? Will make a difference. No hot break should make it to the cube if possible.

So based on todays rate, thats $1.73NZD a litre, and considering the exchange rate is crapola for us at the mo thats a pretty good price for petrol <_<

So anyone over there got any jobs going at the mo? Im a hard worker, sales driven, have ooodles of banking/finance experiance...

Im not actually joking... :p

Do what every other NZ'er does and move to Melbourne pref to the suburb of Brunswick where all the kiwi's are destained to live just so we can keep tab's on how many of you guys are staying here. Plenty of job's no visa req...just dont get beached as hey bro.

edit to keep things on track. I agree with whoever is saying use a cube instead of a keg, if that dosnt fix it start playing with other brands of malt.

Hah, I wish. Although I do remember gas was about $0.99/gal right around when I first started driving in high school. Those were the days - you didn't think twice about going on huge road trips or just going on long drives for fun...

Back on topic, I didn't think about the break material causing the smell. I did a half-assed whirlpool just to settle out my pellet hops, but I took most of the break material into my keg with the intention of siphoning clear wort off once it was chilled down. I've never really been able able to separate out much hot break using a whirlpool, but maybe thats just because I suck at whirlpooling. Any tips on leaving hot break in the kettle? I don't have a spigot with a screen or diverter plate or anything fancy like that.

Do what every other NZ'er does and move to Melbourne pref to the suburb of Brunswick where all the kiwi's are destained to live just so we can keep tab's on how many of you guys are staying here. Plenty of job's no visa req...just dont get beached as hey bro.

edit to keep things on track. I agree with whoever is saying use a cube instead of a keg, if that dosnt fix it start playing with other brands of malt.

Rubbish, all kiwis move to brisbane and the gold coast, which is exactly why I want to move to Melbourne, got a mate living out in chelsea heights...

Man I love that city :(

:icon_offtopic: Sorry to hijack the thread...

Rubbish, all kiwis move to brisbane and the gold coast
Haha... ain't that the truth.

I have done 18 no-chills so far, and am always pretty careful to get as little hot-break into the cube as possible. I've never experienced the boiled corn problem you mentioned, but I can't comment on USA malt, as I've only used Aussie and German malts.

Haha... ain't that the truth.

Must annoy you guys aye? It annoyed me when I was over there, met hardly any aussies... And get this, went out to draculas for dinner, got sat next to a couple, who took the same plane over as us, worked in the same suburb, and lived around the corner from us <_<

I dont go overseas to see kiwi's, theres more than enough of them here :p

Any tips on leaving hot break in the kettle? I don't have a spigot with a screen or diverter plate or anything fancy like that.

I have a pickup tube which reaches across from the tap to nearly the other side of the keggle, about 6-7" from the far wall. It is bent so it forms a clockwise arc (pic would tell a thousand words, but I don't have any here at work). The bend restricts the swirling wort less. You might want to make it anti-clockwise for use in the Northern Hemisphere ;) So anyway, after the boil, I wait until convection stops in the kettle (ie, bits of break and hops stop riding up and down in the hot wort) then I get as fast a whirlpool as possible going. I keep mixing it round and round as fast as I can make it spin, to form the deepest vortex in the kettle as possible without splashing wort up and out the top. Keep that going for 2-3 mins or so, then just wait for the wort to stop turning, then rack it into the cube. Works a treat, leaving a big ugly pile of protein gunk and hop residue right in the middle of the bottom of the keggle.

EDIT: I've used Aussie, German and UK malts and never had a DMS problem.

LOL. I originally read your first post as saying it had skyrocketed ~to~ $1/gal. I suppose I should have realised it's not ever that cheap. We largely experience price ratcheting. ie, price goes up when Singapore prices rise, but doesn't drop when Singapore does.

Matti, do you whirlpool and let the wort settle before racking to your cube? Will make a difference. No hot break should make it to the cube if possible.

yep I whirl pool. I wait for 15 minute and take a temp read of wort around 85 degrees Celsius.
The out let/tap sit pretty low on my 70L kettle so the last 10 litres I have to put a little strainer in place to minimise kettle losses.
I generally loose about 2-3 litre with an ale and about 5-6 litres with lagers as i am more careful avoiding getting break.
Though I failed considerably with my last lager. It will still turn into beer and sitting lagering ATM

Must be the Wollongong water that makes it work so well for the IBU's. Can't think of anyone down here that has any sort of problem with no-chill, but we all learnt from the Master and the Old Master.

Hah, I wish. Although I do remember gas was about $0.99/gal right around when I first started driving in high school. Those were the days - you didn't think twice about going on huge road trips or just going on long drives for fun...

Back on topic, I didn't think about the break material causing the smell. I did a half-assed whirlpool just to settle out my pellet hops, but I took most of the break material into my keg with the intention of siphoning clear wort off once it was chilled down. I've never really been able able to separate out much hot break using a whirlpool, but maybe thats just because I suck at whirlpooling. Any tips on leaving hot break in the kettle? I don't have a spigot with a screen or diverter plate or anything fancy like that.

Time out.

Sorry man you are just going to have to wait out the war of words between the Kiwis and the Aussies. They fight like cats and dogs but just like a cat and dog in the same house when it gets cold they curl up together to stay warm.

Point of etiquette, never get in the middle of a fight between them, they will turn on the outsider and whip them every time.

Time in.

Time out.

Sorry man you are just going to have to wait out the war of words between the Kiwis and the Aussies. They fight like cats and dogs but just like a cat and dog in the same house when it gets cold they curl up together to stay warm.

Point of etiquette, never get in the middle of a fight between them, they will turn on the outsider and whip them every time.

Time in.

Kind of not like the Yanks and the Canadians?

Those kiwis won the rugby and their only NRL side Auckland warrior beat minor premiers Melbourne yesterday.
Aussies are humble ATM.

PM is there a shot of your kettle pick up tube some where?

PM is there a shot of your kettle pick up tube some where?

Don't think so. Not so much into the show and tell stuff :p

It's like prawned's one HERE only my compression fitting is closer to the wall of the kettle and the pipe curves almost straight away, and has a more pronounced curve when viewed from that angle, but you get the idea from it. Bottom line, nothing special, it just hits the bottom at about the right spot to avoid the cone of break material.

Not too much rivalry between us and our northern neighbors, except for their disgusting habit of putting gravy on foods it doesn't belong on.

And the way their heads flap up and down when they talk and say "aboot" and stuff :D

back to the No-Chill part.

PF - I'm not sure about cooling the cube down. There was a bit of talk a while ago about people putting cubes into swimming pools or baths etc in order to cool them down. It seemed that most of the people who had ever suffered from an infection in the cube, had tried this sort of thing.

It was just a bit of chat though, not exactly a comprehensive survey of methods - so if you can't get this taste thing under control any other way, it might be worth a shot. Careful sanitation should see you right.

Mind you - we haven't even worked out for sure that there is a problem, the beer might turn out fine yet..... here's hoping.

thirsty

Must annoy you guys aye? It annoyed me when I was over there, met hardly any aussies... And get this, went out to draculas for dinner, got sat next to a couple, who took the same plane over as us, worked in the same suburb, and lived around the corner from us

You should see Surfers Paradise. As a Canadian that's been living on the Gold Coast around 4.5 years, I'm more Aussie than 90% of the people around these suburbs. As for my mates, I'd say there's only a couple that are true blue Aussies. The rest are all long time kiwi residents.

On another note: Canadian don't hate Americans by any means. Aussies always seem to assume there's some sort of bitter rivalry. We only hate their corrupt government and foreign policies :)

Back