Usa Brewer Trying No-chill Method

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should see Surfers Paradise. As a Canadian that's been living on the Gold Coast around 4.5 years, I'm more Aussie than 90% of the people around these suburbs. As for my mates, I'd say there's only a couple that are true blue Aussies. The rest are all long time kiwi residents.

lowl, how could you tell I was talking about surfers ? :rolleyes:

PickledFetus[/b] date='Sep 15 2008, 03:20 PM' post='353794']
And most of us Americans hate those things as much as anyone else, too

This is also true, its actually quite unfair how heaps of Americans get a bad rep for their government, when actually most americans ive met have been really nice people...

UPDATE:

So I kegged the beer last weekend and it seems like the fermentation scrubbed out almost all of the vegetal flavors I tasted in the wort earlier. I had it under pressure in the kegerator all week and just tasted it a few minutes ago, and its not fully carbonated yet and its still pretty cloudy, but it tastes really damn good. I might taste a small hint of those vegetal flavors in the background, but its so subtle that I think it might just be my imagination. I just added some gelatin to the keg, so once it is fully carbonated and I get all the yeast and other crap out of suspension, it should be pretty tasty.

I am a little disappointed with the clarity of the beer. I was hoping that chilling it down to near 0C before racking into my fermentor would let me leave lots of cold break and trub behind, but it doesn't seem to have helped the clarity. Its not a big deal though, and the gelatin should take care of that.

I did brew another no-chill beer last weekend - a British pale ale at about 1.040. I made a few minor changes to the process (I did an actual whirlpool to keep out a lot more trub) and I'm curious to see how it comes out. It goes into the fermentor tomorrow or Saturday. I'm not 100% sure if I'm a total convert to the no-chill method yet, but I will definitely use it again when I want to brew two batches in one day to save time.

UPDATE:

So I kegged the beer last weekend and it seems like the fermentation scrubbed out almost all of the vegetal flavors I tasted in the wort earlier. I had it under pressure in the kegerator all week and just tasted it a few minutes ago, and its not fully carbonated yet and its still pretty cloudy, but it tastes really damn good. I might taste a small hint of those vegetal flavors in the background, but its so subtle that I think it might just be my imagination. I just added some gelatin to the keg, so once it is fully carbonated and I get all the yeast and other crap out of suspension, it should be pretty tasty.

I am a little disappointed with the clarity of the beer. I was hoping that chilling it down to near 0C before racking into my fermentor would let me leave lots of cold break and trub behind, but it doesn't seem to have helped the clarity. Its not a big deal though, and the gelatin should take care of that.

I did brew another no-chill beer last weekend - a British pale ale at about 1.040. I made a few minor changes to the process (I did an actual whirlpool to keep out a lot more trub) and I'm curious to see how it comes out. It goes into the fermentor tomorrow or Saturday. I'm not 100% sure if I'm a total convert to the no-chill method yet, but I will definitely use it again when I want to brew two batches in one day to save time.

Good stuff!

A few days at 0*C, along with the gelatine should fix the cloudiness... unless your sucking up a bit of the dropped out yeast in the bottom at the keg?

At least it tastes good and you saved heaps of water. If your doing two batches, chill your first brew and collect the hot water you create from your chiller for the second brew. If you no chill the second beer, you save energy as well as water.

Glad it is tasting good.

Back