Us56 Dry Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used this yeast with Muntons blonde beer kit and 1.5kg amber malt extract and some hops, turned out very nice

big d i think this yeast is average i rather a liquid yeast

for sure jaz.i agree with you but there are some times when for one reason or another the liquid yeast is no good so as a back up i should stock some dried yeast.just want to try the us-56.and its not like im in the position to pop down to the local hbs and grab some as required.remotness does suck at times. ;)

cheers
big d

Jazman said:
[post="95653"][/post]​

I have to agree with you jazman.
I am just starting to drink an ale I bottled 2 weeks ago using this yeast.
I was too lazy to get a starer going plus I wanted to see what it was like.
To my taste it is nowhere near as good as the 1056 liquid.
But hey it may just be me.

johnno

Big D, the Little Big Man AIPA I gave you when you were down in Adelaide was brewed with US56 dry yeast.

I've yet to try that batch, though it is 50% of my Xmas case - so I have my fingers crossed.

Some Adelaide brewers have detected higher diacetyl levels with the dry strain, but I don't speak from personal experience.

Latest batch of Mikes Anglo-American Bitter (english hops/american yeast) was done with US56 and its developed really well, most enjoyable quaffer I have made so far. I was a liquid yeast snob mainly because I don't like the results of Safale 04 but this US56 is currently my favourite yeast.

I made a couple of APAs earlier this year with US56 & have no complaints. Ferments clean & neutral - certainly a good option if you can't/won't use a liquid yeast.

I used this a few weeks ago and it got a little warm 26C and it feremented out in 2 days. Tasting it now and its like tequila ( i'm not a great speller). Very hot alcohol taste. So keep it cool for good results. Do you think the higher alcohols clear up with age or is it destined for the sink? It's been in the bottle for 6 weeks...

Matt

Jazman said:

johnno said:
I have to agree with you jazman.
I am just starting to drink an ale I bottled 2 weeks ago using this yeast.
I was too lazy to get a starer going plus I wanted to see what it was like.
To my taste it is nowhere near as good as the 1056 liquid.

I'm with you guys. It's not a bad yeast by any means, but my experience with 2 brews fermented by this yeast are not fantastic. I found it takes longer to carbonate than several other yeast I've used which has the effect of giving a sweeter beer for longer. I've just cracked an ESB APA FWK fermented with US56 and bottled 22 September 2005 and it's finally tasting unsweet unlike all others have to this point. It's not a malty sweetness, but rather a sugary sweetness if that makes any sense.

My advice therefore is to age beers fermented with this yeast.

[edit] spelling!

Works well for me,
Clean neutral,no diacetyll in sight,fermented @ 15/16 c range.
I will definitely use it again :)

thanx for the input guys.my good mexican mate johnno is sending me up some 56 to try so in time i will see if its any good.mind you i am very liquid biased but as a stand by im very forgiving.

prost
D

Latest posts

Back