Urns

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glot

Reaction score
I run a 50 litre electric urn that I picked up cheap. I have added a small hot water circulating pump and use this to do BIAB. I have a temperature controller so I just dial in the temp I want to mash at and it holds it there. Cheap to do.
It has two 2kw elements. When I boil, I have one going full power and use a super cheap voltage controller to adjust the power of the second element to set the boil rate I want.
My thermocouple for the temperature controller chucked it in. I found that by dropping a thermometer probe into the wort, I could very easily adjust the power setting on one element and leave the other off to hold a steady temperature. Hardly need the temperature controller. I just have the voltage controller in a suitable enclosure with a foot of cable out with a plug top and an extension socket on it. I then simply put it in line when I want to use it. The only difference is I need to watch it for the first ten minutes monitoring the temperature until I am happy it has stabilised where I want it.
I am simply posting this as it is a cheaper and more simple way to have a recirculating urn. I think I paid like $15 for the pump and used irrigation fittings from Mitre 10. My 12 volt supply for the pump is an iron core down light tranni with a couple of diodes.

Latest posts

Back