Urgent Help!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Fester

Old, Grumpy and PROUD of it!
Reaction score
Have just put this on to boil.

Irish Reddy Thingy
Irish Red Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 24/05/2009
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Brewer: Uncle Fester
Boil Size: 23.47 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 75 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.00 kg Halcyon Malt (4.0 EBC) Grain 44.9 %
1.00 kg Maris Otter Ale Malt (5.9 EBC) Grain 22.5 %
1.00 kg Munich Malt (17.7 EBC) Grain 22.5 %
0.25 kg Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC) Grain 5.6 %
0.10 kg Carafa I (850.0 EBC) Grain 2.2 %
0.10 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (118.2 EBC) Grain 2.2 %
15.00 gm Pilgrim [10.80%] (60 min) Hops 20.1 IBU
10.00 gm Pilgrim [10.80%] (20 min) Hops 8.1 IBU
5.00 gm Pilgrim [10.80%] (7 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
5.00 gm Fuggles [5.70%] (7 min) Hops 0.9 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 20.0 min) Misc
300.00 gm Golden Syrup (Boil 75.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Windsor Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale

Couple of observations....

Is a black, not a red... Can cope with that....

I had intended putting 300g of Golden syrup into it.

It comes in a 500g bottle.... Will this be too much????

Have about 15 minutes before the boil is underway, and I have a 75 minute boil...

HELP....

Fester.

Meh, half a jar....too easy.

Edit: Plugged into beersmith. The extra 200g should add .003 to your OG and about 0.2% to your ABV. No big deal, really! I'd go for it.

200 gms only if you have to put the stuff in at flame out only

Pumpy

200GMS Pancakes :icon_drool2:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.00 kg Halcyon Malt (4.0 EBC) Grain 44.9 %
1.00 kg Maris Otter Ale Malt (5.9 EBC) Grain 22.5 %
1.00 kg Munich Malt (17.7 EBC) Grain 22.5 %
0.25 kg Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC) Grain 5.6 %
0.10 kg Carafa I (850.0 EBC) Grain 2.2 %
0.10 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (118.2 EBC) Grain 2.2 %
15.00 gm Pilgrim [10.80%] (60 min) Hops 20.1 IBU
10.00 gm Pilgrim [10.80%] (20 min) Hops 8.1 IBU
5.00 gm Pilgrim [10.80%] (7 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
5.00 gm Fuggles [5.70%] (7 min) Hops 0.9 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 20.0 min) Misc
300.00 gm Golden Syrup (Boil 75.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Windsor Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale

obviously the boils done and dusted by now, if it were me i would've increased the Crystal (maybe some Carared) and probably done away with the GS, imho it's a nice looking recipe without it.

interested to hear how much GS actually went into the beer and how it eventually turns out.

Cheers
Yard

Why not Fester, live and learn, pour it into a microwave jug and heat for 10 min on power setting 2, then tip it in. Adding after fermentation has begun is fine. Will probably attenuate a little more than usual with this addition,a good thing using Windsor. Add the sugar addition to find your new OG then apply the normal attenuation and drop the result by a couple of points for your estimated FG.

Screwy

interested to hear how much GS actually went into the beer and how it eventually turns out.

As advised, went with half the bottle.

In a cube now, waiting for a fermenter. Probably pitch on Wednesday. This one is going into a Tap a draft so I can carb it with N2 for the authentic 5 minutes for the head to settle.

Thanks all for your input.

Fester.

fester old chap! i would advise against the windsor yeast.. my mistake was using this yeast last time on a brown ale.. it finished too high and was a lesson learnt. Too sweet due to the sugars not converted.
i started at 1050 say, and ended at 1020.. excess sugar made it too sweet and unappreciated. It will eventually be thrown out when i need a free keg.

fester old chap! i would advise against the windsor yeast.. my mistake was using this yeast last time on a brown ale.. it finished too high and was a lesson learnt. Too sweet due to the sugars not converted.
i started at 1050 say, and ended at 1020.. excess sugar made it too sweet and unappreciated. It will eventually be thrown out when i need a free keg.

Was my very next question Fester, what was your OG. Windsor is a low attenuator but has a nice flavour profile. Good in a beer with a low OG where it will finish low enough, maybe 1.037 or so, something like an "ordinary" bitter, please excuse the use of the word. Ok with a little help (sugar), this pushes it a bit.

Screwy

I couldn't see in the original post if he mentioned mash temp but Windsor will finish low enough if you help it along.
I've had Windsor beers that finished around 1013 by mashing down in the 64 range.

It can catch you unawares though.
The first time I used it I ended up with a similar FG to yours...

Latest posts

Back