Upgrading to 40amp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
40A is some serious juice man. I put in a 32A circuit in my shed for the brew rig and am only drawing 25A max at any one point.
What gear you running?

My new house has 3 phase running to it (you should have seen my ears prick when my wife mentioned it was running past the block when we were looking at building). I told the electrician I was wanted 32A run to the other side of the house for a future shed. He came back after he did the calcs and told me he needed to upgrade to 6mm, which means it'll have 40A capacity anyway. He asked me if he should put a 40A breaker in instead, to which I replied why are you even asking that?
So perchance OP is in the same boat, better to have room to move if the only difference is a few extra bucks on a breaker.

Man if i had 3 phase at my place my life would be complete... Its currently my biggest hurdle preventing me from doing something stupid (like buying a brau 200l)...

1x 6 kW element
1x 0.75 kW element for my mash recirc
3 (soon to be four) fridges (say 1 kW) max demand

Pumps, lights, stereo, mill, laptop

I'm reaching my 32A limit. I went 6 mm2 to help the volts and should I ever experience nuisance tripping then it is possible to explore the ampacity of my conductors. Only a short run from my switchboard though.

3 phase won't be necessary on my property. Extra meters, possibly additional supply charges?

Fair enough, I have 2 5500W elements but like "the electric brewery" I only run one at a time.

_Mick_ said:
Fair enough, I have 2 5500W elements but like "the electric brewery" I only run one at a time.

I want to explore going electric on my BK. Gas feels great ATM, lots of power, the sound - risk of death.. love it! :)

I was the same, however too many times I neglected to check my bottle before starting the boil... and... well... you get the idea.
soooooo..... I went electric and I love it! no more running out of gas. It was fun to build too.

Latest posts

Back