Upgrading HLT element question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you have to look at what is easiest for you to do. I'm not sure exactly what your setup is like, but for me getting 10-12m of coil into a 42L pot would be a piece of cake and mean that I don't yet need to upgrade my electrics. If you're a sparky, it might be the opposite.

Either way, both will help your ramp time but both might need a slight retune. You might be ok with P, probably best with PD given the size of your HLT vs coil, but definitely do not want PID. I can help you with tuning if you want.

Hey Adr_0 - have u got photos of yr 10-12m HLT coil ? I am looking at getting this project done and would like to see yr example.

Hey mate, I don't have a 10-12m coil.

Which pump are you running, a March?

You will probably be ok with 6-8m if you can only fit that in. So you will still need a total of 8-10m of coil (allowing for 1m either side of the HLT). How wide is your HLT? I ask because paint tins can be good to wind coil around, so can heavy duty PVC. Assuming you have about 35L in it for mash in (blue line), then 20L still left for sparge (orange line) or 4m with a 7.6L pot (red line) - all with 3600W element, assuming using the March 809. They are all pretty good to be honest but you can see the difference in ramp rate between 35L and 20L. Don't have much choice though to be honest.
42L HLT 20L mash 3600 element.jpg

Latest posts

Back