Uncle Toby's Oat Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BjornJ

Reaction score
Hi,
just opened the first test bottle of my latest attempt at a full-bodied mid-strength beer.
It's only been 12 days in the bottle, but so far it is looking good!

The recipe was very simple:

Volume 35 litres
OG: 1.034
FG: 1.010

Pilsner malt 49% 3.00 kg
Munich malt 28% 1.73 kg
Carapils 16% 1.00 kg
Quick Oats 6% 0.40 kg

Magnum hops 15% AA at 30 min for 23 IBUs.

1 hour at 69 degrees, BIAB.
WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast started at 15 degrees, upped to 18 after 4 days and left at 20 degrees for a couple of days before bottling.
Bulk primed to 3 volumes of CO2 with dextrose.
Dry hopped with 50 gr of Hersbrucher for 3 days before bottling.

After trying Peter B's from the Northern Beaches excellent beer with oats, I wanted to try adding oats to a light/mid strength to give it a bit more body.

I used the rest of the light munich malt I had, 1 kg of carapils thinking it would contribute body as well, chucked in as much Uncle Toby's quick oats as I was comfortable with, straight in the mash, then filled up with Pilsner malt until I hit 1.034.
The OG is really low, but I wanted to go for a light/mid strength beer, pale in colour and not too hoppy so I thought 1.034 and only bittering hops should be ok.

I ended up using Magnum 15% AA, and decided to only hop at 30 min, thinking it should give a clean bittering and still a little bit of hop flavour.

Today was the first sample, and I am very happy so far!!!

The beer pours with a bit of a head that dies away to a foam ring, not as good head as I had hoped with all that carapils and oats?
Maybe it will improve with time in the bottle.

The beer is surprisingly clear.
I can read the small text on my watch through the beer glass. Not bright, but pretty clear.
At bottling it was really unclear, looking like breakfast juice, so I thought the oats would make it impossible to see through.
But already after 12 days in the bottle it is nice and clear.

And it tastes nice!!
I really like it.
With that low OG, it iwll be lacking something, no way around that.
But I think the mouthfeel is pretty good, and it tastes nice and clean.

I'm happy with my Uncle Toby's Light Ale.

Has anyone else used even more oats in a beer?
Did you end up with a clear beer, or did it make it hazy?

I was a little worried about just chucking the oats in the mash, but it seemed to have worked a treat :D

Just wanted to share my first experience with oats,

thanks
Bjorn

i used 800g in my barley wine, ill let you know when i ferment it. just waiting for temps to drop a bit

Latest posts

Back