Un Hopperd Extracts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrumpy

Reaction score
hey aussie home brewers!

i was just wondering how long to boil unhopped extracts for in conjunction with my bittering and aroma hops?

Is an hour long boil necessary?

I am currently using a 6 litre brew pot how much of the unhopped extract should i add to the water for the boil?

any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

cheers!!

In a six-litre brew-pot, I would assume you can only boil about 4-5L of wort. I would add about 0.8kg of extract to 4.5L and boil for 1 hour, adding hops at appropriate intervals and dump the rest of the extract in the fermenter, tip in boiled wort, top up to desired volume, add yeast, pray.

hey aussie home brewers!

i was just wondering how long to boil unhopped extracts for in conjunction with my bittering and aroma hops?

Is an hour long boil necessary?

I am currently using a 6 litre brew pot how much of the unhopped extract should i add to the water for the boil?

any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

cheers!!

It is going to depend on your hops.

If you want to bitter with a 60 min addition, it will take 60 mins. That is not to say that this is the only way to do it. You could add more hops and boil for 30 mins to achieve the same theoretical IBU but it will taste different.

ED: you also want to make sure it is a good rolling boil before you add the hops.

For my third brew I did one of these liquid extract beers and it really opened my eyes to how good homebrew can be. Good move there Scrumpy, you'll love it.

G'day scrumpy,

Are you using dry (powder) malt extract or liquid malt extract?

I'm gonna make an assumption you're using LDME (Light Dry Malt Extract).

For a 6 litre pot, you don't want to try to boil any more than 4 litres, even then you're going to have to be careful you dont have the pot boil over (sticky, messy, and hard to clean)

So, for 4 litres of water, you want to add 400gm of LDME (100g per litre, obviously), this will give you a boil gravity which is most conductive to extracting the hop alpha acids.

To get the most bittering potential out of your hops, boil the hops in the 4 litres for a whole hour.

With 15 minutes to go, add some more, to get the best taste utilisation, and if you want to bring out the aroma, add them at around 1 minute to go (or once you turn off the heat)

Let it sit, covered, for 10-15 minutes, in a sink full of water (or water/ice slurry if you've got plenty of ice handy) before chucking it into your fermenter

Enjoy

Edit: Damn, beaten to the punch. Must remember to get touch timing lessons

G'day scrumpy,

Are you using dry (powder) malt extract or liquid malt extract?

I'm gonna make an assumption you're using LDME (Light Dry Malt Extract).

For a 6 litre pot, you don't want to try to boil any more than 4 litres, even then you're going to have to be careful you dont have the pot boil over (sticky, messy, and hard to clean)

So, for 4 litres of water, you want to add 400gm of LDME (100g per litre, obviously), this will give you a boil gravity which is most conductive to extracting the hop alpha acids.

To get the most bittering potential out of your hops, boil the hops in the 4 litres for a whole hour.

With 15 minutes to go, add some more, to get the best taste utilisation, and if you want to bring out the aroma, add them at around 1 minute to go (or once you turn off the heat)

Let it sit, covered, for 10-15 minutes, in a sink full of water (or water/ice slurry if you've got plenty of ice handy) before chucking it into your fermenter

Enjoy

Edit: Damn, beaten to the punch. Must remember to get touch timing lessons

hey

im doing a ambre ale recepie:

20gm Target 60min 12.6 IBU
20gm challenger 40min 7.5 IBU
20gm Target 20min
20gm challenger 10min

800gms LDE
1.5Kgs ALE
1.5Kgs PLE

300gms Crystal Malt 40L
50gms choc malt

SAF S-04 ale yeast

thanx everybody for the prompt replys!!!!

Sounds good - I've made some really nice beers like this. I like the control over the recipe you get without the complexity of mashing grains.

The general idea is to have the gravity of the boiling wort the same as the gravity the entire wort will end up, but it's not critical.

I bought a bigger pot so I can boil about 10 litres. I just add one 1.5kg tin of malt to it, boil away, then add everything else near the end so it's all disolved. Chill, and tip into the fermenter and top up with cold water.

BTW if the pot is covered you can chill it in water for several hours if need be. This helps get the temperature down before pitching the yeast.

I just rely on the grain steep to raise the gravity of my boil for the hops additions, but I've never measured it.

I wonder what the gravity would be of 300g of carapils in 3 liters of water? Can anyone guess?

There's no doubt I'm getting the IBUs though - man does that stuff screw up my face when I taste a teaspoon after 60 minutes :wacko:

Does the gravity (and volume) of the boil change the AA composition of the hops extraction? Or just the efficiency?

I just rely on the grain steep to raise the gravity of my boil for the hops additions, but I've never measured it.

I'm undecided on a method for my hop additions. Is it sufficient to rely on a 1 hour steep for say around 500g of speciality grains or would it be wise to add more dried malt before adding any hops?

I'm undecided on a method for my hop additions. Is it sufficient to rely on a 1 hour steep for say around 500g of speciality grains or would it be wise to add more dried malt before adding any hops?

Some wonky maths: For an all grain 40L mash, 4-5kg of grain is used - so 500g of speciality malts in 5L will be nearly as dense. Maybe? :huh:

Latest posts

Back