Typical porter hop profile?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisispants

Reaction score
Hi, I'm brewing a porter tomorrow. I have a bunch of East Kent Golding I'm keen to get rid of so thought a porter would fit the bill nicely.

I'm just wondering how a porter is typically hopped?

I understand it's much more of a malty beer, but should the majority of the hops be added at 60min for bitterness, with minimal flavour or aroma hops?

The recipe I'm using does that, with no aroma hops or dry hopping, is this fairly consistant with the porter style? I generally love me some hops, but I'd prefer to make it a fairly traditional porter.

Depends if it is Brown or Robust..

Definatly use English hops.

Brown porters start at about 30IBU

Robust porters go up to about 50IBU

Porters can go well with late hopping

It's a brown porter. So I may as well throw a few grams of golding at the end, couldn't hurt!

Mate, it's YOUR beer!

Yep, Porters are generally more malt-driven, but if you want to jazz it up a bit for your own tastes, that's entirely fine. Either US or UK hops are acceptable according to the "official" guidelines, but I'd stick with UK ones to be true to history (& to use-up those Goldings you have).

I've made porters with "just" bittering additions, bittering/flavour additions & then also adding dry hops in the FV just before crash-chilling. They've all worked well.

Make it for you, just don't go nuts with the hops or you'll lose balance.

Great, thanks guys. Is there anywhere on the web that lists guidelines for beers?

Jeezuz..its only a porter....which is basically anything between a dark ale and stout...

Thats the great thing about porter....

My only advice is don't be afraid to go a bit heavy on the hops; My porter bill had a fair wack of brown malt in it and I went with the lower range of hop values (to style... HAH!) and it was undrinkably sweet.

I ended up tipping the lot, that was around 30IBU from memory. I think 50+ would have been much closer to what I needed.

Latest posts

Back