Types Of Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melinda

Reaction score
G'day Men,
I've just pulled some recipes from the data base and am trying to put them into Beersmith. The problem I'm having is that some of the grains are not on the list supplied by Beersmith. Well they probably are, but they may have a name variation. the names I have are:
light Munich - this is for a fat yak type ale, would it be 10L or 20L or something else?
crystal 140 - I cant find this on beersmith, what could it be? It is for an Irish red ale.
Munich Malt - I dont know which one to choose, it's for an Australian Ale
I hope this is enough info.
Cadbury

Light Munich would be around 8-10L, while dark Munich is more around 20L. And if the recipe calls for Munich, it's more likely to be light Munich at 10L.

Try downloading the grain extensions here... scroll down to the bottom right and they have Jow White, BB, Dingemans, Weyermann, etc. These are the most common malts you'll be buying from your HBS. If your HBS just has generic 'Munich' malt, ask them where they get it from - it's most likely Joe White malts, unless your HBS is stocking the Weyermann Munich from Germany.

As far as the Crystal is concerned, you can add a new Crystal malt to the database in Beersmith. Just duplicate one of the existing Crystal malts, change the name and update the colour to 140.

Light Munich would be around 8-10L, while dark Munich is more around 20L. And if the recipe calls for Munich, it's more likely to be light Munich at 10L.

Try downloading the grain extensions here... scroll down to the bottom right and they have Jow White, BB, Dingemans, Weyermann, etc. These are the most common malts you'll be buying from your HBS. If your HBS just has generic 'Munich' malt, ask them where they get it from - it's most likely Joe White malts, unless your HBS is stocking the Weyermann Munich from Germany.

As far as the Crystal is concerned, you can add a new Crystal malt to the database in Beersmith. Just duplicate one of the existing Crystal malts, change the name and update the colour to 140.

great. Thanks for that.

Latest posts

Back