Two things blew my mind today

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moad

Reaction score
Plate chiller

On my new setup I am planning to run one plate chiller with tap water and a second in series with iced water. I tested it today and ran my brew out through one 30 plate chiller with tap water (must be around 16 degrees at the moment) and it came out at 20 degrees in a single pass. The best I could get on my old CFC was 30. Real happy with the performance and combined with the second chiller I think I'll be able to get to lager temps in one pass. Happy I don't have to set my alarm for 3am to go and pitch yeast...

Sous Vide

Ran some chicken through in sous vide.... WOW

65 degrees for an hour and it is so Juicy its not funny. I have some venison to put through it tomorrow and am really looking forward to that.

TIme to look up some recipes/threads for sous vide. For anyone with a temp controlled rig and hasn't tried Sous Vide, do it now.

edit: 11% brett beer from yurgy makes spelling and grammar a challenge

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1464513042.792172.jpg
Got a new Plate Chiller myself on the weekend Moad. Reckon she should do the job. Just have to figure out how I'm gunna click the garden hose onto it? [emoji12].

The scale is a bit unclear but I get the feeling you could chill a swimming pool to ice in a single pass on that thing.

make that 3 things that have blown my mind today!!

It looks like it holds 50L alone !
Moad thanks for the update.. my plate chiller struggles to get to 23 DegC.. maybe time for an upgrade !

lol ill take a photo of the plate chiller on my ship next time i fly back to work. its about 3 meters high and takes us about 3 days to clean it (not joking)

It's a heat exchanger for a Condenser Water system. Air conditioning for a 42 story apartment building.

Curly79 said:
It's a heat exchanger for a Condenser Water system. Air conditioning for a 42 story apartment building.
I have a similar sized one with less plates, made a special filter basket so it catches the trub/flowers before it gets in there.

Curly79 said:
Good mate is a Fridgie

He does my head in when talking about the trade

He is a bit of a wizard, but then again that is all he has done for 35yrs

I use my herms setup for sous vide.
It seems a waste to cook a steak any other way.
Also do chicken wings in marinade for 3hrs at 65.

Curly79 said:
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1464513042.792172.jpg
Got a new Plate Chiller myself on the weekend Moad. Reckon she should do the job. Just have to figure out how I'm gunna click the garden hose onto it? [emoji12].
As a side note, brewers complain occasionally about cleaning their plate chillers. Wait until you have to clean one of these things (and preventing leaks after closing them back up)

gunn said:
I use my herms setup for sous vide.
It seems a waste to cook a steak any other way.
Also do chicken wings in marinade for 3hrs at 65.
I've done pork-knuckles in my HLT. There's a big thread about it here.

Can you please post more details on how you do the chicken wings.

Do you grill them after cooking ?

thanks,
-kt

Yeah I'l second that question, grill after cooking? Surely you want some crispy chicken skin????

Food post sous-vide tends to come out grey & soggy. Yes you want to give it a quick blast on a hot grill, for both colour & flavour from those Maillard reactions.

Hmmm. Do you have to vac seal? Or rather, what the pros/cons?

I've been tempted w sous vide a few times, but always baulk at "wasting" my precious vac seal rolls/bags. (I'm a real tight arse!)

Apparently zip lock bags work too but I don't trust them.

Believe me, it is worth sacrificing a vac seal bag... I did some venison after the OP and it was absolutely perfect.

Going to get some steak to run through this weekend. You definitely want to flash sear the chicken on the outside on a really hot pan before cutting (whole breast).

If using ziplock bags, seal the bag 90% of the way then dip the item in water with only the open bit of the bag above the surface. Then close the final bit of zip-lock. This will ensure you get as much air out as possible.

Back