Turn Up The Heat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am looking into burners and want to get a good one first up rather than upgrade later. I want one that I can run off my domestic natural gas supply and get a bayonet installed outside.

I have a brochure of Rambo commercial cast iron burners with heat capacities from 41mj/hr up to 186mj/hr and all points in between. (By comparison a three-ring burner is rated at 30mj/hr.) Forget turkeys: these look like they could deep fry a small elephant. They sure look the goods and even the powerful ones come in under or around $100 for the burner alone.

Question: Does anyone have a good commercial burner plumbed into their domestic gas supply? What did you use? Can you use a detachable bayonet fitting? Cost? Satisfaction? etc?

that is what i woild like to know too as i love to run a butner on natural gas then i never run out of gas but pressure would be a problem and the right reg too

Just got one of these burners as my B'day pressie. Woo Hooo.....

Only problem is getting the gas pipe to seal, anybody else had this problem, it appears to be related to the port being drilled off centre, and machining marks on the sealing surface.

My understanding is that "pipe" tape is not a good idea in these applications.

Anybody else had this problem ?

Matt

Fellas,
Called into Rays Outdoors last week & bought a gas burner & stand & when got home later was reading threads on burners it dawned on me that I had bought a NASA.Well that made me happy.Only problem is when turned on it only seems to burn evenly with tape over the air inlet. With air inlets open it just goes bang & goes out. Any ideas or answers guys.
Crusher

Do you have the correct high pressure regulator?

Hi crusher,
this has come up before regarding te Rays burners. They are the same a sthe nasa but the reg that comes with them is not high pressure enough.
You need one of these regs to get proper performance out of it.

cheers
johnno

regulator.JPG

Just as a bit of trial and error on my part , I took that little pressed metal air intake adjuster thingy off , works better but I have an adjustable reg. and get really get it cranking.
Maybe worth a try.

Any Queenslanders looking for a NASA burner?
I bought two while in Adelaide with the idea of a different type system , now I don't think I need the extra one.

Never used still in the box....PM me if interested

Batz

Batz said:
Any Queenslanders looking for a NASA burner?
I bought two while in Adelaide with the idea of a different type system , now I don't think I need the extra one.

Never used still in the box....PM me if interested

Batz

If only I'd known Batz. Mine is still at Grain & Grape waiting to be collected in a fortnights time. :ph34r:

Now that the NASA has been around for a while, just out of curiousity, do any of you NASA blokes use an ally boiler?
If so, how has the bottom held up to the extra heat, pressure, etc? :blink: :blink:

Tidalpete said:
Now that the NASA has been around for a while, just out of curiousity, do any of you NASA blokes use an ally boiler?
If so, how has the bottom held up to the extra heat, pressure, etc? :blink: :blink:
[post="63250"][/post]​

My system is all Ally [I think :)] and there has been no dramas at all with the bottom melting out of the kettle.

My mash tun is also direct heated by a NASA and it is very controllable. No burning and because of the aluminium the heat distribution is very even.

My system has three NASA burners and all who brew on my gear are pleasantly suprised at how controllable such a hot burner really is.

They are a great combination with Aluminium.

Stevebrewday.jpg

Guys
I have had a few members wanting to buy the spare NASA burner I have.

Several people want me to post this to them , be aware it is not a heavy item but will be bulky.

I imagine Aust. post would charge a fair bit to send this , have a think.

ozbrewer you were first to PM me if you want it

Torsion sorry ozbrewers PM saying he would take it beat you by 9 minutes

ntboozer and jgriffin next in line

By the way I was asking $35.00 for it same as I paid

Cheers Batz

Flight plan is issued. :super:

Picked mine up today from Grain and Grape. $99 including H/P regulator.

Regulator looks different to the ones that you guys have been showing. Brand is Shields HPHK1800A High pressure POL x 1/4" 1800mm 0-44Psi.

JamesShields

This should give an output of about 300 kPa.

Haven't tried it yet. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Here's a photo if anybody is familiar with them. I won't show the burner. It's the same as all the others.

Warren -

ICAM0001.JPG

Here's another pic of the regulator.

Can't wait to fire this bad boy up. Sick of using electrical elements. Took me an hour to get 40 litres up to a boil yesterday.

Electric keg has been seconded for use as a HLT.

Warren -

ICAM0002.JPG

Warren, is that the one they call the turkey fryer? Looking to get one of them myself so I'll be interested in how you rate it.

Give me a week or so Rob. Yep, it's a Turkey Fryer. Same as the one Chiller has on the top of the page.

I've got the new frame finished. Managed to acquire enough dexion from a place in Campellfield for about $50 incl. nuts, bolts and corner plates.

Once I've got the boiler positioned correctly I'll fire it up with some water and see how it fares.

Warren -

Excellent - keep us posted

Yep, its the one G&G call a "turkey fryer" or "outdoor burner". I've got one too and it's an amazing piece of kit, I can't believe how quick my wort comes to the boil. Just watch out for boilovers, they can sneak up on you very quickly! :excl:

Back