Turn Up The Heat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
warrenlw63 said:
Here's another pic of the regulator.

Can't wait to fire this bad boy up. Sick of using electrical elements. Took me an hour to get 40 litres up to a boil yesterday.

Electric keg has been seconded for use as a HLT.

Warren -
[post="63431"][/post]​

Hi Warren,

Welcome to the heat club :)

The reg you have is used by a couple of the guys here in Adelaide and provided it is the same will give excellent results.

Tip:

Fire it up in a well vented area to get rid of the paint on the burner. That is the only down side.

Steve

Thanks for the tips Steve,

Shouldn't be an issue. I've got the most draught-ridden weatherboard garage in Melbourne circa 1950.

The natural ventilation is amazing. :lol:

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Shouldn't be an issue. I've got the most draught-ridden weatherboard garage in Melbourne

Warren -
[post="63443"][/post]​

Luxury! :lol: :ph34r:

Shawn.

Gough said:
warrenlw63 said:
Shouldn't be an issue. I've got the most draught-ridden weatherboard garage in Melbourne

Warren -
[post="63443"][/post]​

Luxury! :lol: :ph34r:

Shawn.
[post="63444"][/post]​

Yep,

On cold days oi huddle up with me Cocker Spaniels and turnips! :lol:

Warren -

The ones sold at Global Imports come in a box of two , you guys who want one should consider ordering together and save on postage

Batz

Fire it up in a well vented area to get rid of the paint on the burner.

This is very good advice.

The first one I lit up in the shed on the floor and it nearly killed me :angry:

Toxic burning paint fumes filled even my big shed :eek:

I did the next one out on the grass :D - big black spot, but who cares :rolleyes:

Cheers

dicko said:
Fire it up in a well vented area to get rid of the paint on the burner.

This is very good advice.

The first one I lit up in the shed on the floor and it nearly killed me :angry:

Toxic burning paint fumes filled even my big shed :eek:

I did the next one out on the grass :D - big black spot, but who cares :rolleyes:

Cheers
[post="63459"][/post]​

Yep the fumes from the paint are toxic , I fired mine up under a patio , well vented area but still the fumes were almost unbearable

Batz

jayse said:
The stand is 360mm wide.
I just tried sitting a 40mm wide keg on it and it doesn't fit that well but it just fits if you have it in the right spot and don't knock it, when full of wort it should stay reasonbly stable but it is less than perfect.
If you cut off the inside part of the bottom lip it would fit over it nicely.
Jayse

Don't know if all of you out there have solved this little problem yet? if you haven't, look here.
:beer:

I've made a cradle for mine within my frame. Just cut up some cast angle iron into a square that holds the keg firmly. Then just made a stand 30cm down with a concrete paver imbedded within it to sit the burner legs on.

This will allow me to withdrawl the burner at flame out. Enabling me to hose the bottom of the keg. Doing this because I use an immersion chiller.

I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

Warren -

As promised.

Excuse the crap digi shots. Not enough battery for the flash. I'll get a better camera one day. <_<

Edit: Pic

Warren -

DSC00041.JPG

warrenlw63 said:
As promised.
Excuse the crap digi shots. Not enough battery for the flash. I'll get a better camera one day.
Warren -

Looks good to me warren. I've got no digital camera, so you're in front. :( Expecting my NASA on Tuesday & hope my pot fits (it should). Only posted when I recalled this thread on finding the aforementioned site. :)

Edit spelling.

warrenlw63 said:
Flight plan is issued. :super:

Picked mine up today from Grain and Grape. $99 including H/P regulator.

Regulator looks different to the ones that you guys have been showing. Brand is Shields HPHK1800A High pressure POL x 1/4" 1800mm 0-44Psi.

JamesShields

This should give an output of about 300 kPa.

Haven't tried it yet. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Here's a photo if anybody is familiar with them. I won't show the burner. It's the same as all the others.

Warren -
[post="63430"][/post]​

Warren,
Just unpacked mine & found that I have the same regulator. I take it that you have had no problems with it?? Even if it comes from an Australian company It is a "Made in China" job & I'm not a big fan of "Made in China" stuff at all.
Someone else asked if Threadseal tape was a no-no on gas fittings & got no reply. :( . Has anyone used Threadseal tape to get their gas inlet valve nice & tight in the 6 o'clock position so as to fit the copper safety extension shown on page 1 in the best place?

Pete,

Regulator is fine. Works well in fact. Think you'd be struggling to find anything that's not made in China these days. :)

I just screwed mine straight on to the burner, firmly but not too tight. I've tested it twice and it seems to work well.

To set your mind at rest spray some soapy water on to the connections to check for leaks. To further set your mind at rest put some gas tape on the connections.

All that said. I've got myself a length of copper pipe. Think I'll probably attach a stand-off pipe as per Chiller's setup.

Warren -

Its a thing of beauty once you get it going, having just got my hands on the braided hose after having the hp reg in my possesion for over a month.

It got to a rolling boil with 26L of wort in about 7 minutes!!

warrenlw63 said:
I've got myself a length of copper pipe. Think I'll probably attach a stand-off pipe as per Chiller's setup.

Warren -
[post="66289"][/post]​

As I will be doing Warren. :D Thanks for your prompt reply. You too mikem108. :D

No worries Pete.

I didn't originally intend to use a standoff pipe, however we had a new stove installed yesterday and the gasfitters chucked out a nice 60cm length of copper pipe already flared with compression nuts on each end from the old stove. Pefect for the job. :super:

Waste not, want not. :D

Warren -

Tidalpete said:
Someone else asked if Threadseal tape was a no-no on gas fittings & got no reply. :( . Has anyone used Threadseal tape to get their gas inlet valve nice & tight in the 6 o'clock position so as to fit the copper safety extension shown on page 1 in the best place?
[post="66277"][/post]​
I'm not a plumber and so not qualified to say but the answer is yes - go ahead and use it. Plumbers use it all the time on NG. You need to be really careful when putting anything on Oxygen lines.

warrenlw63 said:
And another;

Edit: Pic.

Warren -
[post="65818"][/post]​
Hi Warren, I got my NASA last week from G+G and have given it a quick test run out in the garden but I kept getting problems when going at a really high pressure with it blowing itself out, have you experienced this?
I have the same red "made in China" reg as you have in your picture and am not exactly sure what I am supposed to be doing with the little brass turny bit on the reg :unsure: I have tried it in a few different positions but it did not make much difference. I also tried swivelling the air inlet plate to different positions, I am thinking of covering it and seeing what that does.
Nice stand you have built there mate, I am green with envy here, it has given me a few ideas though. ;)

Brizbrew,

Wasn't windy when you were operating it was it? Another thing to check is that the butterfly plate is fully open to allow maximum air-intake. I only use mine in the garage which is free from draughts. That said I leave the door open. Not too keen on gassing myself.

I just turn the regulator fully-clockwise which I presume is max. pressure. I just control the flame via the valve on the burner. Gentle turning can get the flame low enough for simmer. Turning counter-clockwise allows full-bore.

If you still encounter the same problems you may have some castings or loose metal/junk inside the burner.

Thanks for the frame comments too. :)

Warren -

Edit: spelling

Latest posts

Back