Turn Up The Heat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Johnno, did you ship from interstate or buy local? Are they the same as what G&G sell? I need to purchase one myself and these things surely look the goods.

Johnno,

Seriously you need to fire it up with half a kettle of water.
Spray the connections with soapy water before it gets to hot to see if you have any leaks.
Let it run for about 20 mins on full noise to burn the paint off the stand.

Doc

Thanks Doc and big d,
I will wait till tommorrow when I get home from work to fire it up , all the rugrats have just gone to bed and I'm pretty tired. I will do the soapy water trick. As an extra precaution I may purchase a cutoff valve I saw in K mart last weekend. These were about $30 and will give me extra peace of mind.
Woohoo :beerbang: ..no more long waits at the kitchen stove, and I will be ready for that big ally pot I have been eyeing out.

NRB, these are the ones from Globe Imports in Adelaide that everyone else has been purchasing, thanks to the initial excellent feedback from chiller.

cheers
johnno

Gave it a run earlier on.
Man these things are awesome. The biggest pot I have at the moment is a 19 litre one. I filled it to the 17 litre mark and it got to boiling in about 18 minutes or so.
And I dont even reckon I had it on half way.
I also purchased a saftey valve today. Doubles as a fuel gauge as well. Just as an extra precaution.
They sell these at Kmart and Big W.
Here is their webpage. Aus Company.
cheers
johnno

MVC_009F.JPG

Johnno,

I use one of those safety valves too.
Worth their money from multiple angles.

Hope you didn't wake the rugrats when you fired it up :lol:
I can get 33 litres from around 47 deg C to boiling in 13 mins on full noise.
At about 11 minutes I take the lid off the boiler and start watching it. As soon as it takes off shut off the gas at the bottle. Give it 20 sec and then re-light with the min amount of gas to keep it going (silent mode, compared to full noise mode).
Slowly wind on more gas until you get your rolling boil (SLOWLY).

My first three brews with the NASA burner I had huge boil overs :lol:

Doc

good to hear all went well johnno.doc speaks wise words about boil overs with this beast.fortunately my keg/pots are old :ph34r: kegs of about 70-80 litre volumes so boil overs are hard to do. <_<

cheers
big d
i-clone

My licence has been issued and the flight plan was accepted; I'm ready to launch! The NASA burner arrived in the mail today... Mars prepare for another landing.

I've got another question with the spring - Is it meant to remain in its form as supplied, or squashed down? When I tighten up the adjustment knob I can basically flatten the spring. How tight it tight enough?

Thanks for the initial post on these things Chiller.

my springs are up tight but it doesnt really matter too much as its there to keep the round air vent regulator up against the burner body and not flopping around loosely.

cheers
big d

big d said:
my springs are up tight against the body and not flopping around loosely.

cheers
big d
[post="47274"][/post]​

Is this a reply to NRB, or a coded message to his avatar :blink: :lol: :eek: ??

I fired it up tonight for a test run and paint burn off. Three words:

Oh My God! :super:

and a good glove is a must to turn it off and wathc for those boil overs

Can a nasa burner only run of LPG? I have a natural gas mains plumbed onto my deck, so could i run the nasa burner with a natural gas reservoir or something similar, or do i need to be looking at another solution.

Will

well thtas a big proplem with pressure and natural gas being different to lpg i would check with the local gas supplier like origin or agl to make sure as you have to sorce the right sort of regulateor ect as im still to convert my bbq to natural gas and i have a natural gas pont out side to

Let us know how u go it could be a goood option so u want run out of gas during the boil or just before a hop addition

Is the stand that comes with these units (any of the types available) large enough to support a converted keg? The bottom "ring" of my keg kettle is 400mm diameter - is the stand large enough on top for that?

I did an extract full boil with a 3 ring on the weekend, which was not very successful at bringing up the boil, and now I'm looking for alternatives :) .

The stand is 360mm wide.
I just tried sitting a 40mm wide keg on it and it doesn't fit that well but it just fits if you have it in the right spot and don't knock it, when full of wort it should stay reasonbly stable but it is less than perfect.
If you cut off the inside part of the bottom lip it would fit over it nicely.

Jayse

jayse said:
The stand is 360mm wide.
I just tried sitting a 40mm wide keg on it and it doesn't fit that well but it just fits if you have it in the right spot and don't knock it, when full of wort it should stay reasonbly stable but it is less than perfect.
If you cut off the inside part of the bottom lip it would fit over it nicely.

Jayse
[post="57406"][/post]​

Thanks for that Jayse. Trimming down the rim sounds like an interesting idea, but wouldn't the curved bottom of the keg foul on the top of the burner stand?

Torsion said:
Thanks for that Jayse. Trimming down the rim sounds like an interesting idea, but wouldn't the curved bottom of the keg foul on the top of the burner stand?
[post="57442"][/post]​

Yes just checked it out again and that might not be the best way to do it either.
If you brought one of these burners you could sit the keg on and use it, its just it may not be 100% perfect.
The keg sits on the rim of the stand right in the middle of the bottom rim of the keg. so it hasn't got any room at all to move, it has to stay in that spot.
Either way i 'd get one and brew with it and then one day, when you get around to coming up with a safer way to do it, fashion up a way for it to sit better.
One option could be bash the whole bottom in, anyway if you buy it now you'd beable to use it as is and then see for yourself maybe a good way to sit it even better.

Jayse

Does anyone use the Mongolian Burner like those from Grain and Grape. I am considering one of these based on the noise and the low pressure system and the website states it puts out 130,00 IBU which is similar to their Highpressure burner.
Has anyone had experience with these?

Borret

gday borret
asher is your man as his system does/did have these style burners.

cheers
big d

Latest posts

Back