Turn Key Ag Rigs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 384

Reaction score
There has been quite a bit of talk lately about construction of AG rigs. This can certainly create envy in those not as technically gifted in the construction department. This thread is to start a bit of discussion on what is available off the shelf. A good starting point is what the US suppliers can provide. These are certainly at the top end of the scale for price when you factor in shipping, but some Aussie brewers have handed over the cash.

B3
SABCO

Lets try and keep to the minimum the "geez for that price I could have built x, y and z", because this is meant to be putting information out there for those who can't build their own due to limited abilities or time.

So if you have already looked into this, please post what you know and if there are any Australian retailers already building turn key rigs, also please post details and prices.

Once again, please don't turn this simply into a tight-arse DIY thread, trying to do everything on the cheap, lets see how much bling can be bought for your bucks.

Cheers
MAH

Does anybody have any info on the Grain and Grape HERMS system? I remember seeing some info posted here on AHB a while back but can't find it.

Is it a system they are selling on an ongoing basis?

This is definitely one of the more feasible "turn key" home brewing systems available in Australia. From memory it cost around the $3,000 mark, which is quite a bit cheaper than what it would cost to buy a B3 and import it.

LHBS at Gaythorne has mash tuns made from cylindrical coolers with an aluminium false bottom. but they don't seemed to have replaced the little plastic tap.

Grain and Grape in Melbourne are still offering the $3,000 full Herms system. Very sexy stuff, complete with SS everything (incl. 50ltr pots), polysulphone disconnects, silicone transfer leads, March pump, stainless false bottoms, brew stand and burners.

I saw it in action a couple of months ago on a brew demo morning. Dead sexy - and probably not bad when you sum all the parts...

Any pictures or component lists for the G&G system?

Cheers
MAH

Seen it in the flesh several times. Not overly high-tech but very well made to the point of being bulletproof. All high quality bits too. :)

Even offered to field test it but was met with a "no-way" :lol: :lol:

Warren -

The following post is not worth reading if your sane :beerbang:

heres something a tad insane for the home use and more of the pallet rather than of the shelf job, actually three pallets.

At 20 grand plus I'am badly guessing around 10 grand to get shipped here for all up around 30 grand it might seem excessive for a hobby but look at people who own light aircrafts or top of the range street machines simply as a hobby. Looking at what some guys spend on their hobbies then this isn't to overly insane...OK yes it is. :p

This isn't actually what MAH had in mind I know but it is certainly major bling 250litre complete brewery.
Main problem for most would be the brite beer tanks arn't really gunna fit in your old keg fridge. :blink:

Alcohol fueled brewtality
Jayse

DSC00391.jpg

Well, this thread seems to have been created precisely for the brewer like me, so I hope this helps. After 6 years of brewing with kits and some experimentation with partial extracts I decided to take the natural step into AG.

I looked at all the equipment available - from stainless stove top pots and the two plastic bucket lauter tun with converted esky mash tuns, then looked at sparge arms, then looked at burners, then pumps, thermometers, manifolds, temp controllers, false bottoms, stands, chillers, no weld stainless fittings, larger pots, converted kegs etc etc etc. ARRGGGGGH! Added to this is the fact that I am completely useless when it comes to clever design, plus and I live in a regional town which has NO HBS to speak of and Im 300 km from a capital city. So that when I stumbled across the prefab systems I seriously began to consider them.

I looked at the three tier systems from the US and the RIMS system from Sabco. As far as I could tell, there were no similar systems available here. If G&G is offering one, I didnt come across it in my search!!

Anyway, I added up the cost of making one myself, plus my time, plus the fact I would no doubt stuff up many times and have to fork out to correct my mistakes and in the end I still may not have a system that works.

So I bit the bullet and have shelled out for a SABCO system. It seems to me (god knows if Im right) that the SABCO system seems to be sufficiently different to the 3-tier systems in temperature control. There also seems to be a few brewpubs in the US using them semi commercially. And my experience so far with them is that their customer service is spot on plus there is a forum specifically for owners and those thinking about buying one, which has SABCO people responding frequently.

The cost of the unit in $AUD is $4800
Shipping from the US to Melbourne was $1000
Freight forwarder in Melbourne $150 (they recommend one which makes things easier for international shipping novices like me)
Excise $280
GST $623

Total $6853 (ouch!). But as I said, if I did it DIY Id stuff up so many times Id be shelling out for the next 5 years.

The main cost of the unit (and what sold me in the end) is the thermocouple and controller that allows for accurate temp control. The other main cost is the stand in comes on which seems to get the main volume of criticism, and is probably fair enough because you could make one yourself easily enough (remember Im useless with a spanner) and I think it makes it look cool and I was after a nice looking unit too (yes, yes, I know, vanity, vanity).

So thats my experience so far. Its due to be shipped from the US next week, and takes a few weeks on the boat to get to Melbourne. As the original post said, Im sure many will say Ive wasted my money but brewing is my only real hobby so what the heck. If anyones interested Ill post my experience with it after Ive had a few goes.

Ben

I looked at these rigs too Ben and decided I couldn't affort one. I had a crack at building one myself and fortunately I pulled it off. (not that it looks like Sabco's) I'm thinking the next few weeks for you will be slow one's, so I suggest you join that forum you mentioned and learn as much as you can about your new system. There is one thing to be said about making your own great beer, it's not a question of if you can do it but when you will do it, and for you my friend that day is fast approaching. Good luck to you! :D

So I bit the bullet and have shelled out for a SABCO system.

Ben, which model did you buy? Green with envy. B)

Was it the: 'Top-of-the-Line' Commercial Edition Model, takes the final step up with solid stainless fittings, frame and panel box as well? End quote from SABCO.

So I bit the bullet and have shelled out for a SABCO system. It seems to me (god knows if Im right) that the SABCO system seems to be sufficiently different to the 3-tier systems in temperature control.

Excellent work Ben. I have had my eyes on those SABCO systems, and agree if brewing is your hobby, and gadget building isn't, then these systems are the way to go. No mucking around and just focus on the brewing.

Be keen to see piccies of it in action.

I would be interested to know what made you choose the sabco system over the b3 systems, such as here

cheers
roach

Ben,
I am green with envy too. (I must trade in my 36 ltr esky for some bling..)
I take it you are in Vic ?
Let us know how you go setting it up and when you are going to do your first AG with that beast.

Merc's got one of the B3 systems.
I have seen a thread on getting it here and brewing with it.
I just can't find it now.

Jayse,
I found one better just over the ditch.
Cock and Bull Rig

The web page is a bit old and it might be a bit big for a single car garage... :blink:

:super:
Luke

Way to go Ben.Just outta curiosity how have you got around the power side of things with the USA being different than our version(240v)
Looking forward to some pics and a rundown of a few brewdays with it.

Cheers
Big D

Now why did ya go and do that to a bloke Dreamboat? :(

Time to write to Father Christmas. :lol: (I wish)

Warren -

Ben, which model did you buy? Green with envy. B)
The SABCO system I got was the cheaper one. They call it the Pro-Brewer edition. This model is the exactly the same set up, but with some brass fittings as opposed to stainless steel (I had to draw the line somewhere). And although I would love a shiny stainless stand, not even Im that vain (well, I am but I couldnt justify the cost).
I would be interested to know what made you choose the sabco system over the b3 systems, such as here

cheers
roach
The reason I chose the SABCO over the B3 models is rather interesting. My feeling is that the SABCO system allows for greater reproducibility because of the RIMS and the thermocouple, but maybe B3 models can do that just as well. But that wasnt was actually sold me in the end (although the fact that some small brewpubs use them for recipe testing seemed kind of cool assuming theyre telling the truth!). What did it for me was reading posts in other forums on similar topics. Posts recommending SABCO systems got heavily blasted by proponents and owners of B3 systems, but when B3 systems came up for discussion, there was often balanced discussion about the pros and cons from SABCO owners and others. It just seemed to me that the B3 proponents were trying too hard. The other thing was that many people commented on the great customer service from SABCO and I can certainly attest to that with my dealings with them so far but then again Im sure the B3 makers also provide great service.

Way to go Ben.Just outta curiosity how have you got around the power side of things with the USA being different than our version(240v)

Cheers
Big D
Yes the power differences between the US and here are of course different, but it comes with a step down converter which was $90 (sorry, forgot that cost in the earlier post). Gas fittings are also different but suppliers here can modify.

Happy to provide updates and few pictures when in operation as long as people don't think I'm showing off - too much. No doubt I'll need heaps of advice about actually brewing AG even if I do have all the right bling!! (when it eventually arrives!!).

Ben

Thanks for the feedback Ben.Do keep the forum posted as im sure there are a few people interested in how it all goes.Better check out the sabco forum.

Cheers
Big D

and agree if brewing is your hobby, and gadget building isn't, then these systems are the way to go. No mucking around and just focus on the brewing.

cheers
roach

Totally agree with this statement.
Good on you Ben for getting one of these. I know I would if I had the oppurtunity.
Hope it goes well for youas I'm sure it will.

cheers
johnno

Hope you all don't mind my posting here. I work for Sabco and am responsible for serving the home brewers
and Brew Magic customers.

We now have at least 6 units either in place or on the way to Austraila. You brewers from "down under" are a great emerging market for us.

The Brew Magic may not be for everyone, but it certainly has a loyal group of users.

I would be happy to address any questions you may have, either here on the forum, or directly.

I agree with the investment vs hobby string. I brew, but I also am an avid fisherman and hunter. When I buy a boat, I sure don't try to justify the price by how often I get to use it. The investment in a Brew Magic can easily be pro-rated over a 10-20 year period. With proper care, it should easily last that long.

Good luck to all of you and keep the beer flowing.

Every day on the green side of the ground is a reason to celebrate with a home brew!

Latest posts

Back