True South Brewery, Black Rock Vic

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F%^K - what questions am i going to ask the staff there now?

mmm - "its a nice day outside" just doesn't sound the same as "do you have a licence yet".

Super Super Super - Now we have a decent place to drink in BLACK ROCK!!! YEAY.

I have a christmas party on tomorrow night - might have to leave work early so I can pop down for a couple of beers before it (lucky the party is in Beaumaris - walking distance)!!!!

Go for it Sam. Look forward to trying your creations.

Cheers,

Wes

IT'S OFFICIAL!!! WE'VE GOT OUR LICENSE :D The amber liquid will finally be flowing :beer: .

We'll be officially open tomorrow from 10am till late and Saturday & Sunday 8am till late, I'll be around so make sure you say G'day when you pop in!!!

YAY!!!

Cheers Sam (a happy brewer :D )

Fantastic! well done for holding it together for so long - will hope to pop in and sample a brew tomorrow after work.

Cheers

Excellent - been waiting patiently. Really looking forward to heading down for a sample or three. I've been a fan of Sam's beer for quite a while now and fully expect to continue after I try the TS beers.

TB

Excellent - been waiting patiently. Really looking forward to heading down for a sample or three. I've been a fan of Sam's beer for quite a while now and fully expect to continue after I try the TS beers.

TB

Looking forward to your opinon then, as all the recipes are a work in progress. :icon_cheers:

Went down there this morning - had a coffee....bloody good coffee!!! Will be popping in for a beer on Monday evening!

(ps I think Sam wants someone to take her out on their boat fishing)

Went down there this morning - had a coffee....bloody good coffee!!! Will be popping in for a beer on Monday evening!

Cheeky bugger :rolleyes:

As long as she can guarantee a fish or two that could be arranged :)

Congratulations Sam - can't wait to swing by to check it all out!

Andy

As long as she can guarantee a fish or two that could be arranged :)

Congratulations Sam - can't wait to swing by to check it all out!

Andy

A fish or two and I'll even shout a beer or two after! B)

I'll be around this afternoon after brewing, if anyone pops their head in, be sure to say G'day.

Was in there last night for a beer or two. I will have to say that I went to a christmas party before going there so had a few beers before my first drink of a "true south". And I lack the full understanding of a good beer, but here is my review...

Started with the pale Ale. nice beer - easy drinking, nice finish - good beer.

Then had a dark ale. It was good dark ale, but seemed to lack a bit of a kick. like most good dark ales you finish it and feel like you've eaten a full meal, but the true south just missed that fullness feel.

Finished off with a summer ale (not really the best order to drink beer). I'm not really a big fan of Summer ales. Normally find them too sweet, or too fruity, but this one seemed to finish the night (11pm) off quiet well. Good easy drinking beer that will go well on the 35 degree days on the bay.

Overall, good night by the staff, will be going back very soon (tomorrow for lunch :D )

Was in there last night for a beer or two. I will have to say that I went to a christmas party before going there so had a few beers before my first drink of a "true south". And I lack the full understanding of a good beer, but here is my review...

Started with the pale Ale. nice beer - easy drinking, nice finish - good beer.

Then had a dark ale. It was good dark ale, but seemed to lack a bit of a kick. like most good dark ales you finish it and feel like you've eaten a full meal, but the true south just missed that fullness feel.

Finished off with a summer ale (not really the best order to drink beer). I'm not really a big fan of Summer ales. Normally find them too sweet, or too fruity, but this one seemed to finish the night (11pm) off quiet well. Good easy drinking beer that will go well on the 35 degree days on the bay.

Overall, good night by the staff, will be going back very soon (tomorrow for lunch :D )

Thanks for the review, feed back's always a good thing.

Regarding the Dark ale, I designed it to make sure you don't feel like you've had a full meal, but more so as a beer that you can have a few of, even on a warm day or night.

All the beers have their own character and over time I'd like to think they'll each get their own little fan club. As we all know you can't please everyone, so I'll be stoked if I'm hitting the mark 85% of the time, with our beers.

cheers Sam

Thanks for the review, feed back's always a good thing.

Regarding the Dark ale, I designed it to make sure you don't feel like you've had a full meal, but more so as a beer that you can have a few of, even on a warm day or night.

All the beers have their own character and over time I'd like to think they'll each get their own little fan club. As we all know you can't please everyone, so I'll be stoked if I'm hitting the mark 85% of the time, with our beers.

cheers Sam

Thanks too for the reply. Its nice to get info back from the brewer.

Also, when will the pilsner be making an appearence? I heard a few people on Friday night trying to order it at the bar.

Thanks too for the reply. Its nice to get info back from the brewer.

Also, when will the pilsner be making an appearence? I heard a few people on Friday night trying to order it at the bar.

I'll have the pils pouring by the weekend, then it's a full house. :D

Went down and sampled Sam's beers on Friday. Sam was very hospitable, showing off her lovely brewery setup, and letting me sample all the brews. It's in a nice new building, in a beautiful location, just near the clock tower roundabout overlooking the bay. Five beers on tap: Kolsch style Summer Ale, Pale Ale, Dark Ale, Pilsner (dry hopped, if I remember correctly, with NZ Sauvin hops), and a well balanced Low Alcohol. It was well worth the effort made in getting there. A pleasure to meet Sam, and Chris behind the bar.
truesouthtaps.jpg

Here's a view of the taps.

truesouthbeer.jpg

Great food to match Sam's beer

ok i went the TSB tonight. I would say all melb brewers should visit. my fav was the pale ale then the dark ale then the kolsch ale and pils a draw - not because i dont like them but i dont like saaz. grass eek. sorry i didnt try the light beer

we also had some chips and yum yum.
good looking bar and a nice place
not sure how big the fermenters are 17.13 HL i think, the bar guys didnt know how big but very nice lads. it was very nice looking and hell it must cost a lot!

i might head back when i can

Got an email from True South - they have a new beer on tap this Friday - Red Truck Lager. The email says -

"first seasonal brew a Mrzenbier (Mrzen is the German word for the month of March). Its traditionally a celebration beer lagered (stored) at cooler temperatures."

Its burnt reddish orange in colour with a sweet biscuit-like maltiness that dominates slightly, over a clean hop bitterness

I wonder what Red Truck think of that...

http://www.redtruckbeer.com/

I'll ask Dave Varga when I see him next.

Unfortunately if you fail to register a trademark internationally then any IP (Intellectual Property) lawyer will tell you tough luck.

A trademark like Red Truck in Canada has no bearing over Australia, you have to register in every country individually - which is why only the largest companies do it (like Miller, Coors, Budweiser & InBev related companies). Think about Burger King. They couldn't take the name in Australia for ages because a small fast food guy had it registered and refused to sell up. Hence Hungry Jacks was born.

In this country only 'Big Red Truck' is registered (for general retailing category - as in the name of a store), so True South can do as they please. There are no trademarks pending in the Beverages category.

So Red Truck is free to be snapped up by any opportunist.

You would be shocked to discover how many Microbreweries have not actually registered the names of their beers, even just in Australia where they trade. This is because it costs money to register, then big bucks to protect it in court. Most people decide it isn't worth the bother when they're small-fry. You would find that XXXX, Tooheys, CUB etc are all registered right down to the terms they use to promote. Even some old names of defunct beers are still maintained.

Hopper.

ok melb bjcp boys. i think we need to organise a trip to TS under the guise of bjcp training. we can judge all the beers and hand in the scoresheet to Sam, then get stuck into a session.

Back