True South Brewery, Black Rock Vic

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taj

Reaction score
Hi All,

Well all the goss around town's true, so true in fact that we've named the brewery "True South" The 12hl Newlands brewery, still in it wrapper, is patiently waiting in Breaside for it's installiation in the next 3 weeks. The True South "Brewhouse" (my nickname for the venue) is situated smack bang on the beach in Black rock (a very convenient 15/20 mins drive/ride around the bay from st Kilda) and at the moment, I have the pleasure of installing and commissioning the brewery with one of the industry greats, Roger Bailey (one of the Rogers of the famous "Rogers Beer" Little creatures).

We hope to have the doors open mid to late august (I did ask the owner if he could give me a spectacular B'day present and open on the 14th??? well see I guess :rolleyes: )

For more details check out www.truesouth.com.au

I'll keep you all posted on whats happening.

Cheers Sam Fss
Head Brewer

Keep an eye out for my Brewery ute around, It's very cool!!! B)

Our NSW Brewers loss is again, Victoria gain. Judging by the fantastic condition of the beers at the Macca a few weeks ago, the beers at True South will be simply great.

Sam you are very much missed already.

Scotty

A few pics of the brewery in storage

Good luck Sam! Awesome spot for a brewpub and that Newlands gear is bloody good. Say 'Hi' to Uncle Roger for me and I will look forward to enjoying one of your fine ales soon.

Cheers,

Dean

Good luck Sam! Awesome spot for a brewpub and that Newlands gear is bloody good. Say 'Hi' to Uncle Roger for me and I will look forward to enjoying one of your fine ales soon.

Cheers,

Dean

Thanks Dean. I was going to try and get up to see you this week, but i've got the dreaded bloody lurgy :icon_drool2: Roger tells me it was an intresting install? Looking forward to seeing the old/new brewery and your 2 new little beauties

Cheers Sam

Sam where are the piccies???

Are you still sick? I was thinking of popping down either tomorrow or friday to say gidday.

I will call you.

Cheers

Sam where are the piccies???

Are you still sick? I was thinking of popping down either tomorrow or friday to say gidday.

I will call you.

Cheers

Hey Paul,
Starting to feel a touch better today (must be Melbournes welcome <_< ) I'll be around tomorrow if you want to catch up, i'm sure the doc won't mind if I have a healthy ale or 2 :beer: give me a bell, otherwise i'm away next week till wed, but would be great to catch up after that.
Brewery should be going in, in the next 2 weeks :D don't ask bout the photo's, driving me nuts! can't seem to get the photo's to download at the right size!!!

Catch up soon
Sam

Ive been hearing a bit about you and your plans for True South. Cant wait to taste some of your beers.

Good luck with the brewery and welcome to the forum

edit: just visited the web site. looks great. so does the few food shots.

Well after a long day today, we have 2 bright beer tanks, hot and cold liquor tanks and the brewhouse in. Tomorrow the fermenters! it's been a little nervy watching the brewery being tipped up, turned around and moonwalked into their space, but with each tank my smile grows bigger :D I've got some great shots that I'll download asap.

Last night I had the pleasure of going to one of Paul Mecurio's beer dinners, if you haven't been to one yet, it's a great night with fantastic food and beer! last night we had a hop panna cotta and I can honestly say I've never tried anything like it! :beer: An Australian first I hear?

I'll keep y'all updated :icon_cheers:
Cheers Sam

sounds like very exciting times!!

i can't wait to stop for a pint (or 10)... now I'll have 2 microbrewies in close proximity ( the other is 2 brothers in moorabbin)

It's been a full on couple of weeks, but finally it's all coming together. Most the stainless hard piping is in and steam and glycol goes in next week :super:
Looking forward to firing things up :beer:

Hi Sam

Its sounding great just amoung doing all that there we need to work how to get your pictures to attach properly, you could try resizing them yourself first and see if that works.

Does anyone know when true south is opening - it's supopsed to be about now isn't it?
I was having that chat with the owners yesterday, it looks like we'll get handover from the builders around the 21st and were hoping (fingers crossed) that we'll have the doors open on the 29th. failing that it'll be the Monday following. In the meantime I've been lucky enough to brew a couple of beers in a mates brewery (thanks Luke) so a few weeks ago I laid down our first Summer ale! I'm really happy with the result so far. Next cab off the rank was the Pale ale, seems to be a tad bitter for my likings, but it's only early days and I'm sure all the beers will get a bit of tweaking initially. I'm looking forward to firing up my little baby :wub: were in the final stages of installation and things are warming up! :beer:

I was having that chat with the owners yesterday, it looks like we'll get handover from the builders around the 21st and were hoping (fingers crossed) that we'll have the doors open on the 29th. failing that it'll be the Monday following. In the meantime I've been lucky enough to brew a couple of beers in a mates brewery (thanks Luke) so a few weeks ago I laid down our first Summer ale! I'm really happy with the result so far. Next cab off the rank was the Pale ale, seems to be a tad bitter for my likings, but it's only early days and I'm sure all the beers will get a bit of tweaking initially. I'm looking forward to firing up my little baby :wub: were in the final stages of installation and things are warming up! :beer:

excellent... please keep us updated on the opening date as I live close by and I'm keen to visit

Hey Sam I popped in a week or so ago and had a little peak at the brewhouse mmmmmmmm....... gorgeous!! Couldnt find you so I left. It is looking good down there and I noticed the scaffolding out the front is gone so I think I will wonder down and have another peak. I am sure it is crazy at the moment but keep going as we are all thirsty! Apparently your chef is trying to poach a friend of mine?!

Your chef is trying to poach a friend of mine

Getting a good whirlpool action in the pot is the key. :p

Hey Paul, I might be at a loose end for a couple of months while my Canadian residency is being processed... if you need someone to carry your bags, send me a PM.

Back