True South Brewery, Black Rock Vic

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting a good whirlpool action in the pot is the key. :p

Hey Paul, I might be at a loose end for a couple of months while my Canadian residency is being processed... if you need someone to carry your bags, send me a PM.

Canadian residency???? who you going to brew for over there?

I was lucky enough to have a tour through True South today - Thanks Sam - and I have to say that whilst it was bustling with tradies getting the place in order for the hand over in a week or two it was pretty bloody amazing!!! And even better I can see what it is going to be like when it is finished and quite simply I reckon it just could be the best looking Pub Brewery/resturant brewery what ever you want to call it in Australia. It will certainly be the newest and the shiniest - the place will blow your mind! Of course if the beer or the food doesnt stand up then that would be a great shame but seeing the work and commitment going into the place and knowing Sam then I reckon the whole thing is going to rock!

The crazy thing is I live 30 minutes by foot away but by the time they open and start brewing I will have moved 30 minutes by car away :(

Any news on when the big opening will be?

I'd like to know when I can walk down for a nice cold beer after work :)

I too am looking forward to the grand opening -- it might not quite be on the way home from work for me but it is only a few minutes from the inlaws...

I was at a Govt function last wednesday night with lots of Uni boffins (very senior professors, uni heads, medical researchers etc etc - no im not one of them) and to my suprise one of the professors at my table and his wife were rather excited about a new resurant opening in blackrock (at this stage my ears prick up), they go on to also explain that there's a brewery attached to this new place. I pipe up and ask if they are refrring to True South?. They look at me in amazement and say why yes.., etc etc.

So I gave the place and brewery a plug and told them to watch out for some exciting craft beer and fantastic food. We went on to discuss brewing and food and ehen I mentioned Merc's name they were even more excited as they apparently know one of Merc's cooks on his TV series. So small world and they are wrapped to here that TS is going to be good because they live within walking distance (their words).

So bring on the grand opening!

Perhaps Unibroue, given the recent news (fingers crossed)
Nah, heading to the west coast. My wife is from there and all of her family are still in Vancouver. No job lined up yet as I can't work without my residency visa.

Years ago I was wandering through Fremantle when I was at Colonial, and I bumped into Merc who was enjoying a coffee on the cafe strip there. Having previously lived in Sydney, the comment was made that we craftsmen of the beer sure do move around some. Yes, we do. Next adventure coming up!

Hey All,
Staff induction was on Monday night, we've got some great crew lined up to tend to all needs (well not ALL your needs) :icon_cheers: As we speak I have kegs of our summer ale on the back of the Ute ready to take downstairs to the cellar (thats how close we are) and I'll be putting beer thru the lines on Friday for staff training.
the head Chef Phil and I have been having a great time experimenting with different ideas using wort, we made an amazing Pale ale wort honeycomb :icon_drool2: the other day that didn't last to long with the builders and their sticky fingers.
The plan as it stands at 12 O'Clock today, is that the doors will be open Mon/Tue next week :party:

Cheers Sam

The plan as it stands at 12 O'Clock today, is that the doors will be open Mon/Tue next week :party:

Cheers Sam

Excellent. Might organise a bit of a going away drinks thingie at TSB with some of the Melbourne brewing crew.

It must be close - I can almost smell the beer from my place - mmm beer.

I couldnt stand the anticipation so I popped down yesterday to show my wife the place and was invited in for a bit of a look (my second time) and then Sam lined us up at the bar for a taste of her Summer Ale!!! It's a ripper and now I cant wait to get down there for a pint or two! It may be up and running today - if not then in the next day or two! I will do a drive by and let you guys know.

Awesome i'm hoping to get over that way wed or thurs next week, sounds like i better pop in for a taste. :beerbang:

I couldnt stand the anticipation so I popped down yesterday to show my wife the place and was invited in for a bit of a look (my second time) and then Sam lined us up at the bar for a taste of her Summer Ale!!! It's a ripper and now I cant wait to get down there for a pint or two! It may be up and running today - if not then in the next day or two! I will do a drive by and let you guys know.

Went for a spin tonight and found a large skip out the front. There are still plenty of boxes of ??? in the bar/restuarant area. On a positive note there are plenty of frosted fonts seemingly ready to go. At a guess later this week!??

The "True South" website has a big "Now Open" on it - is this true???

Might have to go for a walk after work to check it out.

Wandered past this arvo and no it is not open as yet - they are real close! Finishing touches are full steam ahead, the fonts are icing up and the place looks awesome! Just spoke with Sam and they are awaiting final approvals etc and could be open on Friday!!!! My fingers are crossed! If not Friday then early next week will be a go.

See you down there soon.

Wandered past this arvo and no it is not open as yet - they are real close! Finishing touches are full steam ahead, the fonts are icing up and the place looks awesome! Just spoke with Sam and they are awaiting final approvals etc and could be open on Friday!!!! My fingers are crossed! If not Friday then early next week will be a go.

See you down there soon.

Thanks for the update. Another couple of days wont hurt me. Its been a long wait and finally we will be getting a decent place to have a beer in Black Rock.

I went running past there this morning and it does look great. I especially like the idea of the front bit. It looks like a great spot to have a beer in the summer.

so does anyone know if it's finally open..??? I've been talking it up to people at work for weeks and I'm keen to go tomorrow night

Sam (head brewer) said she would call as soon as she knew they were going to open - havent heard from her today which possibly means she is flat chat getting everything sorted for tomorrow or she is flat chat getting everything sorted for Monday?!!

i will post as soon as I hear.

Sam (head brewer) said she would call as soon as she knew they were going to open - havent heard from her today which possibly means she is flat chat getting everything sorted for tomorrow or she is flat chat getting everything sorted for Monday?!!

i will post as soon as I hear.

thanks

so does anyone know if it's finally open..??? I've been talking it up to people at work for weeks and I'm keen to go tomorrow night
I'd love to say "Yes were open" but were not! :angry: and unfortunately it's not because were not ready!! I have beer in the taps and the chef has fired up the stoves, it's extremely frustrating for all the team :( as you can imagine. Believe me, you guys will be one of the first to know... watch this thread I may have a update for you this arvo.

Cheers Sam

I'd love to say "Yes were open" but were not! :angry: and unfortunately it's not because were not ready!! I have beer in the taps and the chef has fired up the stoves, it's extremely frustrating for all the team :( as you can imagine. Believe me, you guys will be one of the first to know... watch this thread I may have a update for you this arvo.

Cheers Sam

thanks for the update Sam. Looking forward to trying a drop of True South in the near future.

Latest posts

Back