True South Brewery, Black Rock Vic

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Manticle - Sorry you didn't enjoy :(

View attachment 39069

As I said - first sip was great so I'd give it another crack. My experience of non preservative, non filtered bottle conditioned beers is that they can often vary in consistency especially when a brewery or brew is new - when they hit it though they are crackers. Good to see a brewery trying something a bit different so I'll try one on tap or at the brewery.

@fourstar - I find laphroaig a little one dimensional. Lagavulin for me, followed by ardbeg, bunnahaibhan and then bruichladdich.

**Just re-read my original post and realised my original taste was on tap, not from a bottle so that makes rubbish of what I just said. Would still have another try though -if the yeastiness remained I would put it down to the brew, if it was absent, I would put it down to the original keg/glass.

Was about to say, I wasn't aware they bottled. I'd rush out and by a slab if true south bottled

I had a pint of the Pale Ale at the Sail and Anchor on the weekend. I have a new fave pale ale!

Finally got down there this weekend just gone. Lunch and beers courtesy of my Dad to congratulate me for turning in my thesis.

Unfortunately, being a weekend, the brewery was shut but still visible as you walk through. Bit more impressive than my esky on a plastic table.

First beer was the mint Ninja and I was pretty impressed. Not overly minty - just a hint (a hint of mint) and a bit citrussy. very refreshing and very fresh tasting. Great beer.

Tried the APA - enjoyed, no criticisms.

Food was delicious - had a braised lamb shoulder with carrot puree and broad beans. Couldn't fault it and while I tried each of the condiments on offer, I found the dish easily stood on its own. With the meal I had the cherry porter type thingy (forgot the name). Very tasty. I wasn't sure if there was a hint of fruit syrup in there but if there was, the level was kept subdued enough to work.

Service was pretty slow but polite and friendly and neither of us were in a hurry so I didn't really mind. My Dad lives down that way so has been in a few times. He reckons the service is generally pretty good so probably a one off and a one off that didn't really trouble either of us.

Finished with a dark ale which was the only let down of the day. Had a hint of yeast bite which none of the others had.

My Dad mainly drank wine but had a glass of new world pilsner and a glass of the mint ninja, both of which he enjoyed. He also had the rib which was one serious piece of meat. It was amusing to see him get asked how he would like it done (he said medium well) only to be told that it would be served ' little bit pink' because medium well would ruin it.

All in all a great addition to the area and to Vic craft brew/brewpub culture in general. Some pretty good beers, some nice experimentation with the styles, relaxed atmosphere, good location (opposite the beach) and some good food.

Would happily revisit.

Look forward to trying some of your future bottled brews when available.

On that review alone, Its on the must do list. Thanks

Finally got down there this weekend just gone. Lunch and beers courtesy of my Dad to congratulate me for turning in my thesis.

Unfortunately, being a weekend, the brewery was shut but still visible as you walk through. Bit more impressive than my esky on a plastic table.

First beer was the mint Ninja and I was pretty impressed. Not overly minty - just a hint (a hint of mint) and a bit citrussy. very refreshing and very fresh tasting. Great beer.

Tried the APA - enjoyed, no criticisms.

Food was delicious - had a braised lamb shoulder with carrot puree and broad beans. Couldn't fault it and while I tried each of the condiments on offer, I found the dish easily stood on its own. With the meal I had the cherry porter type thingy (forgot the name). Very tasty. I wasn't sure if there was a hint of fruit syrup in there but if there was, the level was kept subdued enough to work.

Service was pretty slow but polite and friendly and neither of us were in a hurry so I didn't really mind. My Dad lives down that way so has been in a few times. He reckons the service is generally pretty good so probably a one off and a one off that didn't really trouble either of us.

Finished with a dark ale which was the only let down of the day. Had a hint of yeast bite which none of the others had.

My Dad mainly drank wine but had a glass of new world pilsner and a glass of the mint ninja, both of which he enjoyed. He also had the rib which was one serious piece of meat. It was amusing to see him get asked how he would like it done (he said medium well) only to be told that it would be served ' little bit pink' because medium well would ruin it.

All in all a great addition to the area and to Vic craft brew/brewpub culture in general. Some pretty good beers, some nice experimentation with the styles, relaxed atmosphere, good location (opposite the beach) and some good food.

Would happily revisit.

Look forward to trying some of your future bottled brews when available.

With the meal I had the cherry porter type thingy (forgot the name). Very tasty. I wasn't sure if there was a hint of fruit syrup in there but if there was, the level was kept subdued enough to work.

Cherry Bomb.

I believe Sam has put two kegs away to be drunk at a later date (a little of bit of maturation).

Back