True South Brewery, Black Rock Vic

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder what Red Truck think of that...

http://www.redtruckbeer.com/

I'll ask Dave Varga when I see him next.

Sorry to disappoint Dean, but it's named after the 1974 red Jeep I used to own, most of the Freo (and some Melbourne) crew would remember me driving around in it for about five years, damm I miss that truck!! But the Melbourne weather ended our love affair and I had to let it go :(

ok melb bjcp boys. i think we need to organise a trip to TS under the guise of bjcp training. we can judge all the beers and hand in the scoresheet to Sam, then get stuck into a session.

Im in

You're Driving! :icon_chickcheers:

ok i went the TSB tonight. I would say all melb brewers should visit. my fav was the pale ale then the dark ale then the kolsch ale and pils a draw - not because i dont like them but i dont like saaz. grass eek. sorry i didnt try the light beer

we also had some chips and yum yum.
good looking bar and a nice place
not sure how big the fermenters are 17.13 HL i think, the bar guys didnt know how big but very nice lads. it was very nice looking and hell it must cost a lot!

A very specific guess!
If you look closely at the fermenters through the glass, you can see the volume stamped on the tank plate.

Red Truck is on!!! and i'm liking it... :beerbang:

Hey guys, I'm sitting on the brewery balcony on a beautiful Friday arvo, sipping on our new Dark ale (American brown), it's the first time I've brewed this style and I'm pretty pleased :D Chef, who's standing over my shoulder salivating in my beer :icon_drool2: (not cool Chef!!) wants to a spiced, herb and dark ale braised rabbit (Braised for three hours to perfection) He reckons it'll be on the menu in about a week or so. So if anyone pops in, have Dark and let me know what you think (be kind :unsure: ) and try the rabbit and the other sexy things on tap and menu.

Cheers Sam

That sounds like a really good match to me.

So what's the story boys, when are we making the trek down? Perhaps combine it with the grain pick up next weekend?

Now your talking maple, I could quite easily detour through Black Rock on my way home. Lunch sounds good?

dammit! while you all suck back beers i'll be standing in the sun playing cricket.. <_<

Just finished designing our next seasonal "WEE JIMMY" Scotch ale. I'm going to have a little fun with this one! 6 malts including Scottish peated malt, 6.5% and I'll let it mature for about 6 weeks. Then I'm thinking I'll keg off 3/4 of the batch as "WEE JIMMY" and leave the rest in the FV, add some dates and currents for secondary then age it on some American oak for a while. Not sure of the outcome but hey that's the Fun part! :beerbang:

"Wee Jimmy" should be out in the middle of June, I'll keep you posted.

Sam

Sounds fantastic Sam!

Partner and i still need to come down for a few beers and a munch!

Cheers! :icon_cheers:

"Wee Jimmy" our peated scotch ale is now on tap!! really happy with the first results :icon_cheers: tasting notes below

Wee Jimmy Scotch ale
6.5%
Pouring ruby brown in colour our wee heavy Scotch ale expresses rich caramel, malty flavours combining with a warming, cheerful glow due to its higher alcohol content. Finishing with hints of smoked peat malt and toasted French oak, this hearty ale will be sure to warm your cockles.

:ph34r: you can also find it at; The local (st kilda & Darlo), The Royston, The Terminus, Beer Deluxe and Mrs Parma's

Cant wait to try it Sam!

Ive got to get my rump down to 'the south' with SWMBO for a meal and a beer.

Cheers! :icon_cheers:

Wee Jimmy Scotch ale
6.5%
Pouring ruby brown in colour our 'wee heavy' Scotch ale
At 6.5% that's one strong little wee, sounds good for a winter-warmer, I'll have to keep an eye out for it. :)

Tried the scotch ale at beer deluxe the other evening.

First sip was delicious (although no peat) but subsequent tastes had a fairly unpleasant yeast bite which became accentuated as I drank more. Was the first glass of the evening - I couldn't finish it.

I was hoping it was specific either to that glass or that keg and will definitely try it again next time I see it. Told the barman (while buying another drink and not looking for freebies, exchanges or refunds) who said he'd taste it and see but never heard anything back.

Tried Wee Jimmy at True South last week...not a bad drop, especially when matched with some irish food ;)

...and speaking of food, some of the best dishes we have eaten around Melbourne were served up to us at True South...I'll be heading back again!

Tried the scotch ale at beer deluxe the other evening.

First sip was delicious (although no peat) but subsequent tastes had a fairly unpleasant yeast bite which became accentuated as I drank more. Was the first glass of the evening - I couldn't finish it.

I was hoping it was specific either to that glass or that keg and will definitely try it again next time I see it. Told the barman (while buying another drink and not looking for freebies, exchanges or refunds) who said he'd taste it and see but never heard anything back.

I think perhaps a one off bad something or other - had the Wee Jimmy at Beer Delux the weekend before last and it was a good-un.

Nice and malty with just a hint of the peat when it was cold (probably too cold) and the peat got stronger and stronger as the beer warmed up. I'd probably have preferred it a little less peaty than the last few mouthfuls ended up being.. but the middle of the pint was extremely nice.

Swmbo demanded I brew her something similar (although without the peat) and in fact that's exactly what I was trying to do with the beer we made at G&G on Saturday.

Thanks Sam - cracker of a beer.

TB

I think perhaps a one off bad something or other - had the Wee Jimmy at Beer Delux the weekend before last and it was a good-un.

Nice and malty with just a hint of the peat when it was cold (probably too cold) and the peat got stronger and stronger as the beer warmed up. I'd probably have preferred it a little less peaty than the last few mouthfuls ended up being.. but the middle of the pint was extremely nice.

Swmbo demanded I brew her something similar (although without the peat) and in fact that's exactly what I was trying to do with the beer we made at G&G on Saturday.

Thanks Sam - cracker of a beer.

TB

The peat malt was interesting to work with for the first time, not having used it before I was very careful on the amounts used. (I didn't even put it thru the mill as I'd heard the peatieness lingers around and considering I was brewing New World Pils next there was no way i was risking it!!)
For me personally I found it a little too full on, but matched with a Laphroaig single malt I couldn't help myself :icon_drunk: I'm brewing my next batch this week and I'm going to pull back on the peat malt a little and see what the results will be??

Manticle - Sorry you didn't enjoy :(

Wee_Jimmy_Decal.jpg

The peat malt was interesting to work with for the first time, not having used it before I was very careful on the amounts used. (I didn't even put it thru the mill as I'd heard the peatieness lingers around and considering I was brewing New World Pils next there was no way i was risking it!!)
For me personally I found it a little too full on, but matched with a Laphroaig single malt I couldn't help myself I'm brewing my next batch this week and I'm going to pull back on the peat malt a little and see what the results will be??

Laphroiag! :icon_drool2: I just got a litre bottle on my way back from HKG. Its safe to say its in a league of its own. Best Islay single malt ive ever had and suprised i didnt buy it sooner.

Infact i had a shot of this in a tasting glass with a few dribbles of my 40% rye pale ale's first runnings on sunday. Great way to start the brewday! :kooi:

EDIT:
I'm startin to think your all talk Fourstar :D

With SWMBO working every sunday for the next 5 and 3 saturdays of mine in july booked out on other beer related events, time is quite tight. Although ive got this saturday free so that might be an option. A suprise lunch for the lady! ;)

Back