Trub Around The Top Of The Bottle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbiebrewer

Reaction score
My ag pale ale has been bottled for a week now I just pulled a bottle out and it looks like there is a ring of sediment around the top of the bottle. Is this normal or is it something else?

I wouldn't worry about it. May be a sign of something, and you''ll find out when you open it, but probably is just a case of not letting it condition long enough in primary and/or secondary. If I bottle still hazy, I get this as well.

Was it US05? The last couple of times I have used US05 it just wouldn't drop out. Krausen still at 2 and a half weeks. I ended up with a heap of sediment in the keg and the few bottles that I did had a ring of yeast at the top of the beer. (No, it wasn't an infection, the beer tastes fine). A bit of a shake at 1 and two weeks put the yeast to the bottom of the bottles with no dramas.

Cheers, John.

A ring at the top can be a sign of infection; a number of the beer judging primers tell you to check for that (of course, judges don't always get to see the bottles, depends on comp rules).

Agree that there's no point worrying about it, as not much you can do at this stage. Giving them a shake or a roll seems worthwhile to re-suspend, which will hopefully be followed by sedimentation.

If you do have an infection, you'll probably know when you go to open them, by either taste/aroma and/or gushing.

Cheers, Brian

yeah it was US05, the recipe I was using only had it in the primary for one week but maybe that works better for 1056, will give my bottles a jiggle after a taste.

Latest posts

Back