Troubleshooting A Taste Issue With 2 * Biab All Grain Brews

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tumi2,

where are you based? I'd be getting a more experienced brewer to try your beer & evaluate it for you.
I'd be surprised if it's oxidised. If you are in Brizzy drop a bottle into our shop.

cheers Ross

I am based in inner soth west Sydney so not that close to Brissy. Any expereinced brewers in the Newtown area of Sydney who would like to taste a pretty horrible beer... im really selling it arent I...!!!!

I splash my hot wort into my no chill both at flame out and after a 15 min rest with no disernable cardboard flavours after fermentation.

Use 2 thermomenters you might be mashing to high.
I have whirlpooled/not whirlpooled so maybe skip this step as previously mentioned.
I have even fermented kettle trub with out real bad tastes coming through.
Wort should be VERY sweet at room temp.
Aerate by pouring from no chill instead of aeration stone.
Leave out finnings. Change yeast. change hops.

Anyways all of these have been mentioned above,

No onto BIAB specific problems mostly hypothetical, some even outragous!
Did pot have a plastic layer that should be peeled of the inside base of your pot?
was the swiss voile from the outside of a roll that has been sitting in a container for years and picked up all that dust stink?
how do you wash the bag?
what cleaner/sanitiser are you using?
are you adding salt or anything but tap water malt hops yeast?
is your water coming from cold tap or hot tap in the house?
is water coming from a plastic hose?
is thermometer melting?
does the lid have plastic that is sweating at boil into your wort?
is your grain or hops living in non food grade plastic?
is the nochill food grade ? not fuel grade?
are fermenters food grade/clean etc?

I know how the above sounds but I hope theres a little help in the above post somewhere

tumi2,

where are you based? I'd be getting a more experienced brewer to try your beer & evaluate it for you.
I'd be surprised if it's oxidised. If you are in Brizzy drop a bottle into our shop.

cheers Ross

So to continue....

I got a couple of experienced home brewers up here to test for me (my grain supplier) and he is fairly sure that it is the yeast i am referring to not oxidation. 2 different people tasted it and said the same thing.

Also, tasted on on the eweekend that had been in the bottle for 5 to 6 weeks now and the dusty taste seems to have reduced significantly.

Back