Trap For Young Players

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Without 1kg table sugar your looking at SG of 1.041 final 1.011 ABV 3.9%. A little low I believe. But if you do that recipe with 20 L and no table sugar you are looking at 1.047-1.013 and ABV of 4.4%. If you have an iPhone (I'm not sure if its on other smart phones) download Brew Pal. Very handy. Otherwise you can get brewsmith for your computer which does the same thing.

Giant, I would strongly recommend you get in touch wuith the Brisbane Brewers Club. You will get way more guidance talking to people face to face & they may even bring you round to their house to show you how they brew.
25 degrees is a very high temp to brew at even for an ale, let alone a lager. If it''s wet you can drink it though :)
Good starting point might be John Palmers "How to brew" website to give you an understanding of what is going on & why.

I really recommend you get into a brewclub to speed up your learning curve.
Good luck with your brewing adventure, many delights & surprises in store for you as you develop your hobby & palate.

Hey Giant,

I just put on a very similar batch just for shits and giggles to see what would happen, so yeah, like everyone else said - bottle it :)

Also sounds like you've got a lot to brew between now and Christmas, might I be so bold as to suggest an extra fermenter? Can't hurt can it? :)

Also, I HIGHLY recommend going through this forum and reading everything you can. It's a brilliant resource and the guys are more than helpful! It one forum I've been on where stupid questions are (mostly) answered respectfully - I know, I've asked a lot myself :)

Welcome to the addictive world of brewing

Cheers
Brad

hahah thanks brewing brad, let me know how u go
just did another FG test came in at 1.014 this time, so will leave again until tomorrow

had a taste test and its not bad, like the flavour, aftertaste is a bit cidery, hence why people say use dextrose instead!! ;)

could be the high ferment temp to. It will produce cider flavours if fermented to high try keep between 18-20, 22 max sugar is fine to use I wouldnt use 1kg of sugar nor would I use 1kg of dex. Usless you like dry beers which I do but still think 60/40 is the way to go with a kit. so say 600g of light dry malt extract to 400g of dex. I even dont use dex in my extract brews and they are fine. infact with a IPA or anything with decent IBU i recommend all malt done a IPA with 300g dex was a bit harsh till 7 weeks in bottle then just got better and better but done a few all malt and was right from the word go.

I just saw yr other thread with the question about sod met & I'd heartily recommend getting some no-rinse sanitiser. I use starsan & have 1 infection with it, I never worked out where that infection came from but I haven't brewed a wheat beer since.

I like iodophor at the moment :)

I'm currently using sod met soaks, then a rinse, then iodophor

Thinking of trying PBW soon (next Craftbrewer order?), but I think i'll stick with the iodophor, I likes it, simple, cheap, and colour coded :)

Without 1kg table sugar your looking at SG of 1.041 final 1.011 ABV 3.9%. A little low I believe. But if you do that recipe with 20 L and no table sugar you are looking at 1.047-1.013 and ABV of 4.4%. If you have an iPhone (I'm not sure if its on other smart phones) download Brew Pal. Very handy. Otherwise you can get brewsmith for your computer which does the same thing.

Did you include the conditioning sugar effect? Not sure how much that is... I keg :)

I like iodophor at the moment :)

I'm currently using sod met soaks, then a rinse, then iodophor

Thinking of trying PBW soon (next Craftbrewer order?), but I think i'll stick with the iodophor, I likes it, simple, cheap, and colour coded :)

I was trying to think of what that stuff was called last night. I've never used iodophor but I haven't heard a bad word said about it.

PBW is a cleaner, not a sanitiser. I reckon I'll be getting some soon to get off some stubborn stains.

Came in again at 1.014 tonight, so going to read the bottling tips again and get cracking

Need to clean tonight/tomorrow so i can get cracking on the ginger beer for xmas

Fingers crossed....

Good luck! (no facetiousness intended)

Sounds to me like you need another fermenter, or at least a plastic jerry can to use for secondary. The idea is you siphon, or otherwise transfer the beer from the fermenter into another, getting it off the trub (dead yeast and other crap that can be bad for the final beer), then let it sit and think for a while longer. If you're bottling (as I do), the extra time in secondary fermentation does good things for clarity and the amount of crud in the bottom of your bottles. It's also good insurance against beer grenades. The process of transferring is called "racking".

Lots of people rack, and lots don't rack. Lots of people from both camps swear black and blue that their way is best, and that the other is an invitation to disaster, so if you're told you *have* to, or you *mustn't*, you get the idea...

T.

cheers dr tonic
that is actually a pretty good idea that i never thought of, never even heard of

my next problem is 330ml bottles
think i will buy a sugar scoop rather than the carbonation drops and put all the 330 bottles aside until i can measure out the sugar
only have carbonation drops atm

its best to bulk prime (in articles in the tab up the top) you use a cube or second fermenter like dr said but add dissolved sugar to that. That way you get the right carbonation no matter the size of the bottle. as scoops are for 365ml or 750ml bottles and they over carb them still as do drops. so its best to work out what you need and bulk prime. I never did I used teaspoon and measured aprox amount for each bottle on the scales then just guessed it may been 1g out a bottle but who cares was no where as carbed as using the scoop or drops

If you wait a few minutes BribieG will post his photo of a sugar cube. :).

+1 for bulk priming. Only way to go, until you upgrade to force carbonated kegs.

T.

Came in again at 1.014 tonight, so going to read the bottling tips again and get cracking

Need to clean tonight/tomorrow so i can get cracking on the ginger beer for xmas

Fingers crossed....

Mate don't fret about the cider and ginger beer too much. For the cider you make your own with store bought 2-3L bottles of Apple juice and ferment them in the bottles. Pour out 100ml of juice, add about 100g sugar and 1/3 of a sachet of yeast, cover with glad wrap and a rubber band and leave them in the bathroom next to your fermenter for 4-7 days depending how strong you want it. Shake the bottles every day to keep fermentation going. When its ready, screw the lid back on and put them in the fridge. Tastes pretty good and really easy.
For the ginger beer, it depends if you want it alcoholic or not. If you do, ferment as usual per regular beer but if it is non-alcoholic you want, it only stays in the fermenter for a few hours before bottling.
The REAL beer should always get top priority in my book!!

my next problem is 330ml bottles
think i will buy a sugar scoop rather than the carbonation drops and put all the 330 bottles aside until i can measure out the sugar
only have carbonation drops atm
Hey mate, I use 330ml bottles with carb drops for my brews and I haven't had any problems at all.

Latest posts

Back