Transferring wort for no chill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brendan_W

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm keen to try no chill but can't seem to find an answer to my question on the forum.

I'm in an apartment so I'm trying to reduce my equipment and space needs while keeping the process as efficient as possible. As such I'm doing a few different variations on a stove top biab method with small batches, usually 10-12L. From what I've read on no chill a lot of people have a tap on their kettle and use this to transfer into a cube using a hose. Unfortunately I don't have this option (no tap) so I was initially thinking of using my auto siphon but then realised this probably wont stand up to the hot wort. So I'm wondering how many of you pour directly from your kettle into a cube using a funnel? Or if there are any other options?

One thing to note is I'm not worried about HSA. I'm really just wondering how practical this is with regards to safety and leaving as much of the hot break/ trub in the kettle.

Cheers
Brendan

HSA, yet to be proven!! (LC is going to object to this I know it.)

Seriously install a tap,
  1. third degree burns aren't sexy
  2. they don't serve APA's or RIS in hospital!
  3. Total cost is like $30
  4. Later down the track you can use the same tap on your bigger flasher kit.
If you get stuck or don't have tools to install it, post here, someone near by will help you out for sure.

Mike

*put you location in your profile

before I put a tap on my kettle I looked at this a bit. I was leaning towards a rigid siphon tube made of copper or stainless to go into the pot, and then attaching a hose onto that. Starting the siphon was something I never solved, something like a turkey baster that's food safe for hot wort was what I was thinking, just enough to get the siphon started.

Biggest funnel you can find.

I just run straight from Urn tap into kettle. In your case I would even be tempted to run wort into two 5L bunnings mini jerry cans and do a rapid sink cool then pitch quickly.
During competition season I regularly do 12.5L half batches using my 20L urn and they fit nicely into two 5L (that obviously hold a tad more as cubes tend to do).

I don't worry about HSA. Neither did breweries such as Pilsner Urquell until fairly recent times, who flooded the boiling wort into huge pans cooled by fans (good opportunity to trot out this photo of their "coolship" again) :lol:

coolships.jpg

Install a tap! You can get a decent tap and a step drill bit to install it for about $20ish off ebay and it takes about 5 min to install

Silicon hose from sponsors and siphon it out, use a stainless wand if you like.
At the risk of annoyance to some, you can pour through a stinking great funnel at a pinch, I did just that for yonks but was glad to progress to hose. Either through a tap or as above and everyone is happy then.
As an alternative you can chill overnight in the kettle, pitch once cooled. Search for Mini-BIAB on BIABrewer.

Everyone else said it already. I used to brew in a kmart 20L pot, $7 stainless tap and cheap nipple off evilbay.

Chilling in the kettle's alright too just put the lid on it and leave it, people do it all the time with sour worting.

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses. I'm using the 19L Big W pot and thought a tap might be over investing :D , but it looks like its the easiest way to go!

Cheers
Brendan

Transferring to the cube using a silicone hose as a siphon is pretty simple and much, much safer than trying to tip 15L or so of bloody hot wort into a cube via a funnel.

What I used to do (with a 19L Big W pot without a tap):
- Place the cube on the floor so its all below the level of the kettle base
- 3/4 or so fill the clean and sanitised silicone hose with boiled (but cooled) water, holding it in a U shape
- Bend one end of the silicone hose back on itself so the bend effectively seals that end. You now have a sealed and an open end of the hose
- Place the sealed end in the in the mouth of the cube, and keep the bedn tight so it remains sealed
- Place the open end in the kettle, below the level of the wort
- Push the sealed end into the cube, so that the hose unbends and releases the temporary seal

The water in the hose will be pulled into the cube by gravity and will start the siphoning of the wort. you just need to keep an eye on the hose end in the wort to make sure it stays under the surface and does not pick up too much trub, and on the level of wort in the cube to make sure it does not overflow.

It's really, really simple and what i used on roughly 50 BIAB/maxi-BIAB batches without drama. Just make sure the hose is long enough to reach from the bottom of the kettle to the bottom of the cube with a bit to spare. Practice a few times transferring cold tap water from kettle to cube, and you're good to go.

Blind Dog said:
Transferring to the cube using a silicone hose as a siphon is pretty simple and much, much safer than trying to tip 15L or so of bloody hot wort into a cube via a funnel.

What I used to do (with a 19L Big W pot without a tap):
- Place the cube on the floor so its all below the level of the kettle base
- 3/4 or so fill the clean and sanitised silicone hose with boiled (but cooled) water, holding it in a U shape
- Bend one end of the silicone hose back on itself so the bend effectively seals that end. You now have a sealed and an open end of the hose
- Place the sealed end in the in the mouth of the cube, and keep the bedn tight so it remains sealed
- Place the open end in the kettle, below the level of the wort
- Push the sealed end into the cube, so that the hose unbends and releases the temporary seal

It's really, really simple and what i used on roughly 50 BIAB/maxi-BIAB batches without drama. Just make sure the hose is long enough to reach from the bottom of the kettle to the bottom of the cube with a bit to spare. Practice a few times transferring cold tap water from kettle to cube, and you're good to go.
I second this method - works, is dead simple and prevents you having to put a tap in your kettle.
In my case I did this as I wanted to keep the kettle as simple as possible.
I've used PVC hose with a plastic pinch clamp to block the flow(like the one they use on IV drip lines in hospital but bigger - check your LHBS). Hoseclamp the hose to a piece of stainless tubing (sold as racking cane for carboys) and I use starsan as the liquid in the hose to start the syphon. Works a treat

If you do end up putting a tap on the Big W stainless pot, please post details on what parts you used and how you did it. I'm also interested in adding a tap and would appreciate the advice.

I got mine from grain and grape, but there are other suppliers around. I used a 3 piece valve, but they do a 1 piece ball valve with the fitting as a pack for $30. Check out the link here.

You'll also need something to cut the hole. I bought a half-decent step bit to do this, it was about $50 from bunnings. There are cheaper versions, not sure how they'll hold up to repeated use but should be OK for a Big W pot. I only got a good one because I knew I was doing at least a dozen holes in kegs and my kettle pot which has a decent thickness wall. Hole punches are another option that leave a clean hole. Not sure the exact diameter you need for these weldless fittings, either 7/8th or 15/16ths inch holes.

Unless you're totally in the sticks, you can probably hook up with other brewers in your area who already have the tool.

Latest posts

Back