Transferring to Keg. What am I doing wrong!!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am pulling the Release valve as its filling as well

Everyone seems to have completely missed this - are you just giving the PRV a tug every now and then? If so, that's your issue - the keg is a closed space, and you're trying to add liquid without giving somewhere for the displaced gas to go.
You should either have the PRV pulled open the entire time, or just stick a QD on the gas post too. That way as the beer is entering the keg via the liquid post, the gas can be displaced out of the PRV/gas post

Gday goatchop41.

for my first couple of kegs I was releasing the pressure periodically but then I realised that it was just easier to leave the bloody thing open. So yeah, now I just leave it open whilst filling but I might put on a QD on the gas out and do it that way. Sorry, the way I worded it in my OP probably sounded like I didn't do it much at all.

Cheers

I'm a newbie and have brewed and kegged about 8 batches now and so far just transferred from the fermentor tap to the keg via a silicone tube directly into keg with the lid off. So far no real issues, beer has tasted fine, what are the real risks of doing it the way I am?

I'm a newbie and have brewed and kegged about 8 batches now and so far just transferred from the fermentor tap to the keg via a silicone tube directly into keg with the lid off. So far no real issues, beer has tasted fine, what are the real risks of doing it the way I am?

well you are doing it the way many have in the past and still do,
many do it using co2 to push beer during tranfer or other methods they have come up with

there would be some Oxidation
https://beerandbrewing.com/dictionary/l9v9PEb7Gl/

persoanlly i push beer from my kegmenter to drinking keg with co2

but if i was using the "plastic barrel" fermenter with a tap i would use a silicone hose to the bottom of the keg

It’s way I’ve done it for about 20 brews and no problems (yet, touch wood). Simple and easy.

Nothing wrong with that. I simply give a good 10 seconds of solid C02 into the keg. This gives a layer of C02 at the base of the keg to 'fill into'. I try not to splash too much and it works, as far as I can taste, perfectly. Doesn't get much simpler.

Nothing wrong with that. I simply give a good 10 seconds of solid C02 into the keg. This gives a layer of C02 at the base of the keg to 'fill into'. I try not to splash too much and it works, as far as I can taste, perfectly. Doesn't get much simpler.
Just wondering if, when you use this method, have you experienced and reduction in malty or hop flavours as the beer ages in the keg? Reason I ask is that yesterday I drank some of the California Common that I kegged over a week ago, I tasted some after a week and it had a nice caramelly/malty flavour up front and hoppy at the end, a really good beer. A few days later the malty taste has all but gone, one of the forum members has said its highly likely caused by too much oxygen in the beer and most likely introduced when it was transferred from fermenter to the keg?

i syphon as a few other's do..when filled i put on the lid and connect co2 line for a few secs till keg lid is firm disconnect gas and store,haven't lost a keg yet..but i could be doing it wrong......also i natural carbonate

Last edited:
i syphon as a few other's do..when filled i put on the lid and connect co2 line for a few secs till keg lid is firm disconnect gas and store,haven't lost a keg yet..but i could be doing it wrong......also i natural carbonate
The natural carbonation would make a lot of difference.

I have done it with the casks and the self carbonated beer comes over a lot smoother, I did read that the co2 from the gas bottle is actually a by product so not as pure as the co2 which comes from natural carbonation. The article was from the NASA scientist who made a set up for capturing the gas and pressurising it from the fermentation of beer.

I have done it with the casks and the self carbonated beer comes over a lot smoother, I did read that the co2 from the gas bottle is actually a by product so not as pure as the co2 which comes from natural carbonation. The article was from the NASA scientist who made a set up for capturing the gas and pressurising it from the fermentation of beer.
Once it's self carbonated do you still connect the keg to the co2 bottle or does the beer keep carbonating itself?

Once it's self carbonated do you still connect the keg to the co2 bottle or does the beer keep carbonating itself?
If it’s in a keg and served cold it will stay carbonated but you would normally connect to co2 to dispense. If it’s in or served from a cask at cellar temp it can keep carbonating its self to an extent.

Hmmm. CO2 'from the bottle' is a by-product of either combustion, fermentation (on a BIG scale like ethanol production) or a vent stream occurring naturally. In order to make the grade - it has to be pure to ppb levels of most contaminants (Hydrocarbons especially Benzene, Nitrous Oxide, Nitric Oxide and Sulphur based contaminants S02 etc..) Its true that different sources have different contaminants - but they all contain sulphur compounds. Ever smelt your fermenter after doing a pilsener? The CO2 from the fermentation source is by far the worst feedbags to the liquefier requiring the most filtering and the most analysis) - full of sulphur basically.

All that said - natural fermentation either in a pressurised fermenter or a corny with a spunding valve is the schiz. I find there to be a much finer bubble and less carbonic bite.

WEAL what is it you prime your kegs with?

WEAL what is it you prime your kegs with?
Dextrose, but a bit of pressure at the end of the ferment to keep the dissolved co2 in the mix can eliminate the use of dextrose or sugar. Although what I have been reading recently I am drifting away from any pressure fermenting, the outcome is still the same using dextrose or sugar.

Just wondering if, when you use this method, have you experienced and reduction in malty or hop flavours as the beer ages in the keg? Reason I ask is that yesterday I drank some of the California Common that I kegged over a week ago, I tasted some after a week and it had a nice caramelly/malty flavour up front and hoppy at the end, a really good beer. A few days later the malty taste has all but gone, one of the forum members has said its highly likely caused by too much oxygen in the beer and most likely introduced when it was transferred from fermenter to the keg?
The hop aroma definitely fades with time, as even commercial kegged examples do, but not to the extent that you've mentioned. From reading a bit about low oxygen brewing, the malt flavour would take a hit with oxygen present. Did you remember to purge the headspace after filling it? Sounds like it could be oxidation and by far, forgetting to purge would be the most likely cause.

Back