Transferring through hopback before kegging

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lochem

Reaction score
so i just bought one of these:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111523256454

and i plan to put some hops in it, and push the beer from the fermenter to the keg through this thing instead of dry hopping in the fermenter.

is this going to give grassy flavors? and will it give the aroma usually obtained from dry hopping? some? not nearly as much? im thinking because of the very short contact time with the hops, compared to traditional dry hopping in the primary/secondary, i might not get much out of it.

has anyone here ever done this? (im sure someone has....)

cheers

I don't know the answers to most of your questions but I'd be more tempted to look up "randall's". Basically you fill this up with a combo of pellets and hop flowers and you put it in between the keg and the tap...

Try and see, but I think the randall will be a better option.

Tahoose said:
I don't know the answers to most of your questions but I'd be more tempted to look up "randall's". Basically you fill this up with a combo of pellets and hop flowers and you put it in between the keg and the tap...

Try and see, but I think the randall will be a better option.
But.....from what I understand, if you remove/don't use the filter in that thing, it essentially is a Randall.
Anyway, randalls are (I think...) Usually used to pass beer thru hops or orange peel etc when serving, and I'm specifically asking about when transferring to keg before carbonation.

Im at work and cant see the ebay link but I think I know what your refering to, so I think that you can transfer from FV to Keg via a hop vessel, you may need to use a Stainless Steel scrubby to stop any debris going into the keg and also you would want to do this at fermentation temp.

I suggest that as most brewers cold crash before transfering to enable force carb right away but I think that to extract essential oils from the hops doing it at 20c will be better than the beer being at 4c.

Hop backs are normally used when the wort is still hot.
Used between the kettle and the chiller and then to the fermentor.

Lochem said:
But.....from what I understand, if you remove/don't use the filter in that thing, it essentially is a Randall.
Anyway, randalls are (I think...) Usually used to pass beer thru hops or orange peel etc when serving, and I'm specifically asking about when transferring to keg before carbonation.
I would think you would need a little bit more exposure to the hops to get the most out of them. Just passing through from the fermenter to the keg doesn't sound like enough time on the hops to me. Where as in a Randall situation you are only getting one glass at a time.

gap said:
Hop backs are normally used when the wort is still hot.
Used between the kettle and the chiller and then to the fermentor.
Yep sorry about the mix up in the lingo...you are correct

Pratty1 said:
Im at work and cant see the ebay link but I think I know what your refering to, so I think that you can transfer from FV to Keg via a hop vessel, you may need to use a Stainless Steel scrubby to stop any debris going into the keg and also you would want to do this at fermentation temp.

I suggest that as most brewers cold crash before transfering to enable force carb right away but I think that to extract essential oils from the hops doing it at 20c will be better than the beer being at 4c.
The temperature is indeed a very curious part of it.
I think I'll do one keg at cold crash temp, and one at room temp and compare.
I would have to swap out the hops in the randall in between to really compare properly.

I Could be wrong but I reckon you might get some oxidation issues, which doesn't matter if you're using it as a Randall.
Or you'll invent a new hopping technique!

mombius hibachi said:
I Could be wrong but I reckon you might get some oxidation issues, which doesn't matter if you're using it as a Randall.
Or you'll invent a new hopping technique!
I was considering purging the oxygen out with CO2 first.

Back