Too Much Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
hi there!

-waves hand- NEWBIE HERE! -redface- made a coopers larger toucan the other day, and not knowing how to make them, put in the two yeasts...... id bubbled like mad, to the point where there was no water in the airlock....... and now isnt going.......

iv mucked up havnt i?

hi there!

-waves hand- NEWBIE HERE! -redface- made a coopers larger toucan the other day, and not knowing how to make them, put in the two yeasts...... id bubbled like mad, to the point where there was no water in the airlock....... and now isnt going.......

iv mucked up havnt i?

Nope, not mucked.

It means that you've actually put enough yeast in it to get healthy fermentation. Usually those tins don't give you enough yeast. The 12g dry yeast you get from site sponsors is about the right amount.

Boil the kettle, fill the airlock and leave it bee®.

Search the forum for "krausen" and find a thread that talks about krausen explosion/gone crazy - something of that ilk. Then you'll see some really crazy yeast pictures.

Goomba

thats what i thought when i first got into brewing! how can this little packet of yeast work all that wort and h2o!!?? cheers goomba!

Nope, not mucked.

It means that you've actually put enough yeast in it to get healthy fermentation. Usually those tins don't give you enough yeast. The 12g dry yeast you get from site sponsors is about the right amount.

Boil the kettle, fill the airlock and leave it bee.

Search the forum for "krausen" and find a thread that talks about krausen explosion/gone crazy - something of that ilk. Then you'll see some really crazy yeast pictures.

Goomba

As LRG said, you've not mucked it, but pitched (most likely) the correct amount of yeast, hence your healthy ferment.

Those packs are only 7g and the saf packets are 11.5g so using 2 would be 14g, only 2.5g more, wouldn't think it's a big difference in krausen size.

How big is your fermentor and how many liters did you make this brew up to ?
Also was it just the two cans or did you add any sugars or extra malt ?

I'm keen on trying a toucan but don't like cleaning so I'd prefer to keep the krausen inside the ferm.

i have a 30 litre copers fermenter that im using, and i added the coopers number one suger to the mix as well. made it up to about 24 litres and like i said, the two yeasts........ its my first one too, so its a good learning curve!

Yes, take a gravity reading. The airlock is to keep outside elements, outside, not to judge fermentation. There are more variables than just how much yeast you pitched regarding the level of krausen, & yeah, you're brew should finish a little sooner if you pitch the cor4rect amount of yeast

ok, its been said a couple of times that the usual 7g you get in the kits isnt substancial, so does that mean that EVERY brew you make you should put in double the yeast? or does it depend on the brew your making?

what temperature was it? higher temps will cause more vigorous, much faster fermentation. can also leave behind undesirable flavours though.

IMO yes, I wouldn't be happy pitching 7g of yeast into anything, unless it's a half size batch of low gravity beer.
Also, hydrating the yeast will mean you'll most likely not need as much, as pitching dry can cause cell death at a rate of up to 50%.
Keep all your kit yeasts, and buy decent ones for your brews, when you have enough of the kit yeasts either pitch 2 packs (even 3 if they're 7g packs) or throw a pack in to the boil for 5 mins to be used a nutrient for your pitching yeast.

good thing ive been saving all my kit yeasts in the top of the fridge then! will have to start using them!

and the yeast was pitched at 24 degrees, and its currently sitting at 18 degrees........ but lagers like colder temps?

i have a 30 litre copers fermenter that im using, and i added the coopers number one suger to the mix as well. made it up to about 24 litres and like i said, the two yeasts........ its my first one too, so its a good learning curve!

Wow 6L headspace & still spilled over, I'm screwed with my 25L then haha

Yes, Lager yeasts prefer lower temps 9-12c, but the yeast in the Coopers Lager tin is an Ale yeast, so your temps are good, I'd try pitching closer to ferment temp though, you'll end up with a cleaner beer, especially if it's going to take a while for it to come down to 18

technically it's not a lager, regardless of what the can says. it's still ale yeast under the lid. ;)
temps sound fine anyway. how long did it bubble for before it stopped?
i'd definitely take a hydrometer reading to see where it's up to.

Taken from the Coopers Website...

I find it interesting that they mix ale and lager yeast :blink:

me no understand....

eff it... this is why Ive been brewing with Specialty yeast and using the Coopers stuff as nutriant as suggested above.

Image_0.jpg

thats pretty sneaky of them then if they are putting ale yeasts in a lager....... but i spose they know what they are doing more than we do! it bubbled like it did over night and part way through a day, so about 35 odd hours all up......

Latest posts

Back