Too Much Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats pretty sneaky of them then if they are putting ale yeasts in a lager....... but i spose they know what they are doing more than we do! it bubbled like it did over night and part way through a day, so about 35 odd hours all up......

they put ale yeast in most kit beers because 'most' homebrewers do not have temp control and using an ale yeast will give an 'acceptable' result within a much wider temp range.
as said keep it around 18c and you will get a reasonable beer, brew that same batch at 15c, even with ale yeast, give it an extra week and you will have a much better beer.
better still, spend a few extra dollars and get some proper lager yeast.

Beerbelly .. Living in Bunbury you should be fine either using ale or lager yeasts... its bloody cold down south at this time of year ... I would suggest that for a while use ale yeasts as they tend to be a little more forgiving than lager yeasts IMO. As a Newbie it is worth the effort to ask as many questions at your LHB shop and read as many forums as possible... Stay with it .. Craft brewing is awesome !! Welcome to the real world ;-)

well, its a good thing that i have an old fridge that still works in the back shed! i think i might amp that old clunker up and see if i can keep the beer around 15 degrees! cheers guys!

dont worry, im saving heaps of cash by making my own beer, even if its gotta sit for three months!

you will be pleased to know, i have taken a SG reading, and its now down to 1015!! yay! so things are moving along VEEEEEEERY slowly........ cheers fellas!

Back